• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek Clutch Kit spring tension

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
After disassembling my secondary to install rock rollers, I was wondering what to expect from the different spring tension holes. I put it together with the least amount of pretension to see what happens. By increasing the tension on the spring, what kind of effect will it have? I have a red w/ white spring(I don't know what brand) and a 38/34p helix.

Thanks

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
put the sping in the middle hole if you need more backsfift tighten it up one if you need less loosen it up one hole ive ran 2 of his clutches and have many friends that have ran them we all just found the middle hole set it and forget it

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The red/white spring is probably a cat spring. It's the same one I used in my RKT kit, it's a good spring. I would also recommend starting in the middle hole and working form there.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Shift?

What is the benefit of having better or quicker "backshift?" Same question for upshift. From reading a lot on the forums, some people like the feeling of more backshift but shouldn't faster upshift result in the best track speed and acceleration? I'm not TOO knowledgeable to clutching. Just got the basics down.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
The hard up shift is very nice as it is an instant rpm jump and instant trackspeed. Use the green spring if this is what you want to accomplish, great for boondocking where instant power is needed.

From what I've found: Stiff second spring limits your trackspeed while climing. It deosn't allow the motor to load and use the hp. With the stiff spring in my sled, I instantly hit 32 mph track speed (deep powder pull) and it runs 32 mph without increase or decrease. The rpm hold steady and the power feels flat.

I've ridden other sleds with similar motor mods, and softer springs/less weight in primary and they seem to pull hard while climbing at peak rpm, when the track hits a deep spot, or crosses another trench, the rpm pull down and then regain. I feel that the motor is being loaded and the hp is being used.

I use a 38/34 rkt helix as well and load the primary with 71 grams of weight at 7-10k elev, and am going to try the red cat spring this season.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
What about Kelseys custom spring?? Anybody hear about that and how it is working??

I don't think you can use it with the older style RKT helix kit. I have a brand new compression setup 40/36 helix sitting on my shelf and I'm seriously contemplating spinning that this season.

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I HAVE USED SNO-PRO GREEN CAT RED WHITE AND SPEEDWERX BLUE BEST I HAVE FOUND IN MY HEAVY SNOW IS SNO PRO GREEN RUN 70 GRAMS AT 7K PULLS 8000-8100 RKT BB

Premium Features