• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PIAA headlight install with PICS!

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Well after the last thread I started with questions about installing PIAA or other aftermarket headlights, a lot of other people seemed to have interest in the same idea. I just finished installing a set of PIAA 1100x driving beams. The install was really easy, and they put out a LOT of light.

The first picture is what all comes in the package if you order a set of 1100x's. I would assume it is similar to the 004x lights from Piaa that are a bit less money.

The second picture shows what out of the kit is actually used when installing them in place of the stock headlights. In other words, you can throw that fancy harness and switch, and relay in the trash. All you need are the actual lights, double sided adhesive pieces, and mounting bolts.

P1010538.jpg P1010540.jpg

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Here is where i decided to put them. Using a windshield will be tough with location, but I think I may make a "custom" windshield with 2 holes that fit around the lights. The second picture shows the additional nut a bolt mount on the Piaa's

P1010541.jpg P1010542.jpg

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I hope the garbage man did not show up and take the trash yet, because you will need the wiring harness to figure out which wire is the hot wire and the ground wire on each headlight. I marked the hot wire so I could keep track. Once the wires are marked, cut the plastic connector off the light wires. Now drill holes in the hood for the wires and run them through. I used thead shrink tubes for the heck of it to give some more strength and protection.

P1010543.jpg P1010544.jpg P1010545.jpg P1010546.jpg

Last edited:
T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Now you need to wire the PIAA headlights into the stock headlight wires. There are two wire bundels that have black and blue wires, and two that have white and black. I used the two clusters/bundles/whatever with the black and white wires (low beams i think). Now you just splice the white wires to the hot wires (positive/power) and the black wires to the ground wires. Heat shrink them or whatever.

P1010547.jpg P1010548.jpg

Last edited:
T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Now just make sure that the extra wires, and everything is zip tied out of the way, and secure so nothing hangs near the pipe. Now you have some BRIGHT AZZ lights, good venting, and dropped weight. With the lights wired this way, your bright/dim switch will now function as a lights on/off button. There may be extra steps with other model year sleds that need resistors or whatever, but from what i understand, that is a non issues on the 08 and up M-series. If this is incorrect, hopefully someone will chime in.

P1010549.jpg P1010550.jpg

Last edited:
T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Yeah, lost of stuff can "yardsale" when you roll it, including the entire hood, or your windshield. I just wanted to show people the steps involved in installing these things. They can be placed in many different locations. I am going to try then located here. If it yardsales, it yardsales. The overall install steps are the same no matter where they are mounted.

M

MAINJET

Feb 16, 2009
Coeur d Alene
?

Yeah, lost of stuff can "yardsale" when you roll it, including the entire hood, or your windshield. I just wanted to show people the steps involved in installing these things. They can be placed in many different locations. I am going to try then located here. If it yardsales, it yardsales. The overall install steps are the same no matter where they are mounted.

Curious to know where you got them and how much are they???

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
much thanks my friend....they look hella good. im thinking you could probably build some sort of cowling over it to transfer the pressure of a roll onto the the sides of the hood. looks hella good though man....thanks again for posting

S

scrfce

Oct 10, 2009
bc
u think u could get away with just one and still be brighter than stock?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
How well do those work in the powder?

I know the stock ones like to blind over when it gets deep.

We like to take a midnight ride every once in a while and the worst thing is 2 foot of fresh and you can't see a darn thing unless you have it pinned to keep the front end out of the snow.

So does the shape of the PIAA lights deflect the snow better?

Thanks

Thunder

H
Feb 6, 2009
Hurry

Now just make sure that the extra wires, and everything is zip tied out of the way, and secure so nothing hangs near the pipe. Now you have some BRIGHT AZZ lights, good venting, and dropped weight. With the lights wired this way, your bright/dim switch will now function as a lights on/off button. There may be extra steps with other model year sleds that need resistors or whatever, but from what i understand, that is a non issues on the 08 and up M-series. If this is incorrect, hopefully someone will chime in.

You better get that mess cleaned up, your old lady just left here and if she sees that mess she gonna kick your a$$. hurry you got about 20 minutes.:face-icon-small-coo

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I picked them up for $200 at a local truck accessories shop. They are Piaa 1100x platnum driving lights.

I don't know if one single light would be brighter than stock, but it seems like it would be enough to get you home safely in the dark.

I have not ridden with them yet so I dont know if they shed snow better than the stockers. If they do that would be a nice plus. I am planning on cutting 2 holes in a windshield for the lights to fit in.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Just a little advice...

I have not ridden with them yet so I dont know if they shed snow better than the stockers. If they do that would be a nice plus. I am planning on cutting 2 holes in a windshield for the lights to fit in.

I did something similar on one of my older sleds. Be sure that the lights protrude outside the windshield slightly and are a tight fit. If you don't you will get a reflection off the windshield back in your eyes which will hinder your ability to see at night.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Just an update. Lights worked great all season. The seemed to shed snow well in the powder, and many rolls, and "yardsales" later the lights are still right where I put them.

Premium Features