• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HOW TO: Adding Electronic Reverse - PICTURES*

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I have had some guys PM me on how to add electric reverse to there '08-M1000 sleds. First off I want to say that if you do this, it is at your own risk! I run oil injection delete and premix, but for guys that run the stock oiler, it will not pump oil if you are in reverse! Does it hurt it for a few seconds? Probably not, but it's up to you. I apologize for the small print on the pictures below. I will describe everything before the pictures.

You must have an '08 with the '09 ECU flash for this to work. It will not work on the '07's. Sorry to you '07 owners! You should have a BDX Lite Diamond Drive to do this. It should also work on a stock mechanical drive, if you make sure your sled is in forward and remove your mechanic reverse solenoid off of your DD, but I have not tried it, so again that is at your own risk. I will take no responsibility if it doesn't. You also have to have a helix with the reverse notch cut in it on your secondary clutch.

It's very simple and takes about 20 minutes to do. You can buy the pin at Radio Shack that plugs into the ECU.

First thing you do is unplug the connector from the CCU over your right shock-well. About 2-3 inches up from the plug you will cut the White/Purple tracer wire and seal up the connector end, but not the harness end.
er1.jpg

Next, you will pull the White/Purple tracer wire that you cut back down through the wire loom to the "Y" in the harness. You will then extend it and run it back up the wire loom except this time over to the small plug on the ECU.
er4.jpg

er5.jpg

er6.jpg

When you have it extended about 3-4 inches, you will notice on the small ECU connector the one long white strip and the two small ones on the back side. You will push down on the long one about 1/16" to unlock the pins from the connector. You will then pull the #23 dummy plug out of the connector with small needle nose pliers or whatever. Now push your new pin into it until you feel it pop in. Now relock the pins pushing on the two small white strips on the opposite side of the connector.
er7.jpg

er8.jpg

er9.jpg

That's all there is to it! Zip tie everything back up good, and install your reverse helix. Fire up the sled, let it warm up and hit the reverse button.

Aaron

Last edited:

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
This is only for the '08-M1000. The ECU's on the M8's did not come reverse ready until 2009 and there is no flash for a '07-'08 model. Sorry........

Aaron

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Nice write-up Aaron. I have done this already just need a 09 or BDX lite to finish.:D

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Harness is fine, you just need the 08 or newer ECU. The 2007 model did not have the reverse circuitry on the board.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
Anyone know then name or style of the pin or where to get them, I have searched everywhere and have found every kind but the one i need.
Thanks

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
So it a guy picked up an 09 M8 ECU and installed that in an 08 M8 would it stand to reason that the electronic reverse would work as well?

has anyone tried this?

The ECUs are different configs between 08 and 09. The 09 has two big plugs and the 08 has a big and a little.

I rewired my harness and replaced the little plug with a big plug and made the appropriate changes. It has worked out nicely. Going to do another yet this season for my backup sled. The nice thing about this mod is I get to keep my CCU for my turbo fueling etc.

The other option would be an 09 harness, but I'm not sure if there might be some other plugs that would be different because Reg/rectifier instead of CCU.

PS, Great write up and pics, thanks

Last edited:
A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
ttt anyone know where to find the right pin, my radioshack doesnt carry them.

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
part number or way to identify the pin?

I am having my ECU flashed, I have purchased a reverse helix and very much want to have electronic reverse on my 2008 M1000 Sled.

I am so close but cannot seem to find the "new pin end" to attach to the end of the wire.

er6.jpg

Does anyone know what the number or name of the pin is that goes on the end of the wire?

Thanks in advance

Ian

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
I am going to have both!

I am going to keep my mechanical and have a toggle switch to control the type of reverse I want to use.

If I have to decend down a steep mountain and need to use reverse to safely decend then I will use mechanical. Pull the sled out of the trailer in reverse when its cold mechanical.

On the mountain or trail, I will use the electronic.

The toggle will control which direction the power goes the ccu or the ecu. A little extra wire and I need to keep the reverse servo installed.

I like the beeper and the R on the dash as well.

I am mainly doing this to limit isues with the diamond drive, had a recent failure and I think the reverse had something to do with it.

Ian

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
If you use the mechanical version for downhill "brake" assist, I promise, you WILL have more Diamond Drive issues. Unit was never built with that intention.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I am going to keep my mechanical and have a toggle switch to control the type of reverse I want to use.

If I have to decend down a steep mountain and need to use reverse to safely decend then I will use mechanical. Pull the sled out of the trailer in reverse when its cold mechanical.

On the mountain or trail, I will use the electronic.

The toggle will control which direction the power goes the ccu or the ecu. A little extra wire and I need to keep the reverse servo installed.

I like the beeper and the R on the dash as well.

I am mainly doing this to limit isues with the diamond drive, had a recent failure and I think the reverse had something to do with it.

Ian

That sounds crazy !! :face-icon-small-sho

B
Mar 23, 2008
Vancouver Washington
Flat crazy

But heres your pics for some connectors.By hooking to your ecu these pins are guaranteed to rip out your DD.But enjoy I'd pay to watch you ride.

Just clip off one connector and it'll go right inside your plug.Gives you 25 tries to get it right.$3 bucks at radio shack.
Don't get me wrong I'm all for the DIYERS and it's your sled so do as you please.

Personally hauling A$$ down hill is one of the best highs you can get if you dodge all the trees to the bottom.Why would you want to hit reverse and slow down ????

Hope the pics help and my opinion is just that.Please do post some vids.

I hope some one told you your oil pump doesn't work in reverse on your long down hill reverse adventures.

rktek 061.jpg rktek 062.jpg rktek 063.jpg rktek 064.jpg rktek 065.jpg

Last edited:
C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
I almost missed the lesson, I did try to go down a particular steep hill in reverse and it popped out on the way down. looking back I think diamond drive problems probably started there.

I had envied my Polaris and Skidoo buddies with electronic reverse being able to stop at will and me just barely able to get round the corner at the bottom without hitting the tree's.

Wow I bought a replacement drive, got BDX gears and am going to electronic reverse to prevent it happening again and down the hill I would go and start the process all over again. :face-icon-small-sho

I got it, the lesson is now learned! I will throw belt loops over my front ski's for the really long steep downhills.

Thank you for the pins!!!!!

Oh yah I almost forgot, :face-icon-small-ton How many reverse's you got bitches?

Ian

Premium Features