• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest's 2011 project sled - Project Mid-Life Crisis (Update- MTN TAMER install)

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
800Pro_RMK155_pr_Revcopycopy.jpg

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
Awesome looking build and sweet pictures so thank you for posting. Working in powder metal manufacturing I felt inclined to tell you that you will want to be sure to lube up the bronze bushing on the bottom of your spindles where the ski's mount. The same bushing you had to clean the powder coat off of. If you look at the the other spindle in this picture and see where the powder coat on the surface of that bushing is a bit rough looking?

Well that's because these bushings were impregnated with oil before being assembled in the spindle. This oil is what gives oil-lite bronze bearings and bushings their self lubrication properties. The powder coating baking process is such that the oil in those bushings will be well cooked out of their porosity. Without the oil..........the bushings loose much of their advantage over other materials such as delrin and what not. But........if you rub in some good grease to the I.D. of that bushing before hitting the mountain it will go a long way......use a very thin grease. Either that or press the bushings out....send them to me and I can re-impregnate them for ya at no charge as well. Both methods will help out.......and PM me if you want me to re-impregnate them for you........but the bushings would need to be out of the spindles. Sorry for the novel........powder metal business has been my business the last 15 years or so......just thought I would share the knowledge. Keep up the awesome work on the build!!!

Dave

Oh........and I am just up here in Eastern Washington......Tri-Cities.....so not too far away.......

Last edited by a moderator:

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
Awesome looking build and sweet pictures so thank you for posting. Working in powder metal manufacturing I felt inclined to tell you that you will want to be sure to lube up the bronze bushing on the bottom of your spindles where the ski's mount. The same bushing you had to clean the powder coat off of. If you look at the the other spindle in this picture and see where the powder coat on the surface of that bushing is a bit rough looking?

Well that's because these bushings were impregnated with oil before being assembled in the spindle. This oil is what gives oil-lite bronze bearings and bushings their self lubrication properties. The powder coating baking process is such that the oil in those bushings will be well cooked out of their porosity. Without the oil..........the bushings loose much of their advantage over other materials such as delrin and what not. But........if you rub in some good grease to the I.D. of that bushing before hitting the mountain it will go a long way......use a very thin grease. Either that or press the bushings out....send them to me and I can re-impregnate them for ya at no charge as well. Both methods will help out.......and PM me if you want me to re-impregnate them for you........but the bushings would need to be out of the spindles. Sorry for the novel........powder metal business has been my business the last 15 years or so......just thought I would share the knowledge. Keep up the awesome work on the build!!!

Dave

Oh........and I am just up here in Eastern Washington......Tri-Cities.....so not too far away.......

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that, great info.

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
Friday of the Intermountain Snowmobile Show is over, and the sled has a turbo, Skinz seat and bumper and half a wrap on it.

Dan Adams put the ArcticFX wrap on in as much time as it would have taken me to figure out which side of the vinyl was the sticky side. He absolutely flew through it, and it is on perfectly straight. He did an excellent job.

Jared Sessions and Tony Jenkins started the turbo install at 7pm. They started with a fully-assembled sled (minus the headlight) and had the Boondocker pump gas turbo with clutching and EBC install finished and the sled started and running in the show by 8:57pm.

I have better pics, but no wire with me to get them off the camera, so for now here's some awesome cell phone shots...

BoostSLC2.jpg

BoostSLC1.jpg

Tomorrow (Saturday) at the show we will install the Skinz rear bumper, Holz front arms, Fox Float Evol shocks and SLP Powder Pro skis.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
BTW...

Ryan...

Take some good pix using your SLR... Walk over to the SnoWest Online Forums booth and give your memory chip to Christopher and have him upload/post the photos with you.

I'm sure he has at least a basic photo management program to deal with the Raw images you have...

The cell phone pics are pretty bad.

Lets see some good details of each processs as it goes in.

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
Are you going to have KLIM design you a water proof clown costume to go with your circus sled? I guess if you want everyone to look at you, your doing it right.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i have to say, the colors grew on me too...when i say the parts laying on the floor after powder coat, i bout shat myself....

but after the wrap, it seemed to reall mesh together...i would do something with the rails at least...maybe do them in the blue powder coated to match the decals and side bars...or green...

i am more of a 1 or 2 color setup myslef..but looks pretty slick i must say..

Premium Features