• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why no aftermarket easy steer spindles???

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
because the stock ones are to good to justify buying aftermarket. The AC skis suck and if you want easier steering you adjust your skid pressure. But if you learn how to use the sled they turn great, They don't if your sitting in the snow not moving.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Not sure but I believe he is talking about how stiff the steering is to turn.
The newer M's are much stiffer than the earlier M's.
People seem to think it's the spindles but I don't know why they don't wear in and become easier. Seems to me there is more to it?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Not sure but I believe he is talking about how stiff the steering is to turn.
The newer M's are much stiffer than the earlier M's.
People seem to think it's the spindles but I don't know why they don't wear in and become easier. Seems to me there is more to it?

I'm pretty sure thats what I was talking about.

The fact is you need more pre load on the front of the track to give you easier steering. It has nothing to do with the spindles or steering. But if you pre load the track to help pick up the front of the sled you turn it into a trencher. Since these are mnt sleds they don't worry about how they turn on the trail or when not moving, but they setup the sled to work well in the steep and deep.(The newer the sleds get the more rear suspension travel there is letting it put more load on the front if setup certain ways. You can soften up the front suspension and with a little movement and body tilt you can steer these "newer M's" very easy. Its all about setup and learning how the sled works and nothing to do with how much muscle you have, I've seen woman handle M's with ease.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah

OK My bad. Guess I miss understood when you talked about the skis.

I'm not saying they don't handle great cause they do. The steering is tougher to turn though and has nothing to do with preload. If you put both sleds on a stand the '09 and '10 are harder to turn than the '05, '06.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Why has the aftermarket not come out w/ a set of easy steer spindles like Holtz has for the Poo 900???????

Can you please not do any sort of comparision of the "POS 900" and a Cat please?

You wanna talk about apples and oranges................:face-icon-small-con

:p

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
just a hypothetical thought... if the arm coming off the steering post was longer, and the arm that comes off the top of the spindle at the front of the engine (the spindle that connects to the steering linkage under the belly pan) were longer, wouldn't that put a little more leverage into the steering?

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada

The fact is you need more pre load on the front of the track to give you easier steering. It has nothing to do with the spindles or steering. But if you pre load the track to help pick up the front of the sled you turn it into a trencher. Since these are mnt sleds they don't worry about how they turn on the trail or when not moving, but they setup the sled to work well in the steep and deep.(The newer the sleds get the more rear suspension travel there is letting it put more load on the front if setup certain ways. You can soften up the front suspension and with a little movement and body tilt you can steer these "newer M's" very easy. Its all about setup and learning how the sled works and nothing to do with how much muscle you have, I've seen woman handle M's with ease.

We've seen a few of the "new" old stock M8s that were very hard to steer due to the lack of lubrication. A few shots of grease and a lots of monkey motion and wha-la power steering!

Another thing that we have found: (particularly on sleds that were set up for our gals)Trying to get an easy turning sled the front of the skid was let out assuming the ski pressure(and steering) was going to be less. What actually happened: was the bars were at full lock and the sled wasn't turning so we were being told it steers too hard. We then pulled up the skid one notch tighter than stock. Then: "Wow" what did you do? is steers so "easy". So now anyone who is complaining about hard steering we suggest pulling up the limiter for more ski pressure.......so far it works.....I know it's contrary to our normal logic, but it's cheap to try...:face-icon-small-win

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
We've seen a few of the "new" old stock M8s that were very hard to steer due to the lack of lubrication. A few shots of grease and a lots of monkey motion and wha-la power steering!

Another thing that we have found: (particularly on sleds that were set up for our gals)Trying to get an easy turning sled the front of the skid was let out assuming the ski pressure(and steering) was going to be less. What actually happened: was the bars were at full lock and the sled wasn't turning so we were being told it steers too hard. We then pulled up the skid one notch tighter than stock. Then: "Wow" what did you do? is steers so "easy". So now anyone who is complaining about hard steering we suggest pulling up the limiter for more ski pressure.......so far it works.....I know it's contrary to our normal logic, but it's cheap to try...:face-icon-small-win

I didn't factor in the basics, and the turning I was talking about is when you get it on its side so to speak, never thought of more pressure though, I have also heard people with AF skis drilling new holes farther back from the original mounting hole and it makes it steer like a dream.(never tried it though)

907riders.com

Mar 23, 2009
Wasilla, AK
www.907riders.com
The problem is two fold.

First the spindles have a shorter arm thus less leverage to turn the skis.

Second the helm joints are too tight and stick/bind. My sled would squeak when turned on the stand. Fixed with penetrating lube and heat.

Once the helm joints were heated the steering became much lighter.

Still looking for 07 spindles.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
There are many different leverage points that can be changed. the newer ones are shorter to get a tighter turning radius(turn sharper) all you would have to do is extend the leverage points and get an easier steer, rather than buy diff spindles. But you will loose some of your turning radius. As far as stiff parts, Its common sense to keep them lube and working properly. I really can't see any problem with the way the new ones are once you learn how the sled works and let it work for you.

In what conditions (trail riding, deep snow, wet, dry) is it that you guys are having such problems to downgrade your sleds?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
What about timber sleds front end?

It's a sweet disposable setup. Watch out for twigs.

As for making a cat front end work for you... as has been mentioned, SETUP.

Sled setup is the key to about 1/2 the issues that people complain about.

My sled won't turn, my sled won't transfer, my sled transfers too much, my sled trenches... Take some time to play with the suspension, you'll be amazed at the differences it'll make. If you're worried about going the wrong way, write down what you changed so you can change it back if it didn't work.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The early polaris 900 spindles had major geometry problems that waranted a change. The cat ones don't seem to have too many problems. I also believe that it comes down to setup with most problems people have. I always go over my sleds and quads when I get them changing and adjusting little things here and there and it is amazing how much better they work over stock.

It seems I have heard the Timbersled setup was a little weak a few times as well.

D

dre

Jan 25, 2008
Portland OR
vimeo.com
OK My bad. Guess I miss understood when you talked about the skis.

I'm not saying they don't handle great cause they do. The steering is tougher to turn though and has nothing to do with preload. If you put both sleds on a stand the '09 and '10 are harder to turn than the '05, '06.

This is true. I have Both, an 05 & 09. The older sled turns effortlessly in comparison.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I know a friend of mine had issues with his tie rod ends binding on his 09. When you cinched the bolts up it made the ball and sockets bind. My 2010 doesn't have that problem, did they change the ball/socket? I guess I would have to look at part numbers. Like Wyoboy said, a little more preload on your front skid shock lightens the front end up pretty good. I have about 1/2'' of preload right now, and am pretty happy... I wouldn't go any more though. If that's not it, maybe check for grease zerks you missed? Timbersled?

Premium Features