• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RKT or Dalton clutching???

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Hey guys i have a 09 M8 HCR i have a D&D Y pipe, D&D can that is about it for aftermarket engine. I ride at 2000ft and at 7500ft i am 6`1 235lb. I am looking at doing some clutching work not sure between the RKT or Dalton. What do you guys think is the best?? I like to boondock(tree ride) but sometimes hill climb. I have been told to go with a RKT 36/34 progressive helix with kelseys custom spring?? Or the 46/36 progressive Dalton helix?? What would be my best set up??

Last edited:
S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
well I don't know about all that...

This is what you need trust me. With out any other changes stock for stock this made a M8 make a M1000 look realy silly.

http://www.formulax-1.com/clutch-kits.php

Don.

All I know for sure...is I put Kelsey's Torsional conversion on my 06 m7's and I loved it...loved it...loved it. My 2010 m8 has the new conversion on it.

Never had any experience w/ dalton so wont speak on that.

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
I just pulled my RKT out and installed a compression set-up from Mountain Magic. The RKT worked really well; I just wanted to try out the Mountain Magic set-up. Might be a mistake but I guess we'll wait and see.:thumb:

D
Nov 28, 2007
Whats different from all the other clutch conversion kits for the diamond drive scondary????

This is a reverse cut helix with a spring to match. There is realy nothing out there like it. The back shift if perfect with out putting you over the bars. It will up shift only when you have load on the track. If you leave the ground for any reason the secondary will back shift to about 6000 rpm's is most all sleds from 440-800cc's. Bigger power sleds will pull more rpm's because of the torque they are making.

The next time you get spanked on the hill look under the hood for one of these.

Don.

boltcompressor2.jpg

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
IMO I would buy from the guy who rides every day of his life in the mountains and tests his products in the mountains every day.
The RKT kit flat works. Not saying the others don't. But when you have questions about tuning your kit to ride at 7000ft , what's the guy in Michigan going to tell you?

D
Nov 28, 2007
I wonder if they have they use the same helix for low and high elevation. I'm tempted to try one.

There is a guy on here running this kit gopher-it! in the up for two years now. I know for a fact just bolting on this kid of Mels on 09 m1000, porting ,pipe. made a stage two nitro look a little silly. Yes this finish rate is around 90 degrees and that is a 500# spring in there. If your not making the torque the up shift will stop.

Once you guys in the up stop messing with light springs, and move the motors over you will make the DDrive fly. You will loose fuel mileage a bit with this kit because you will run more RPM in each pull and cruising. Allways in the power all the time no mater the snow conditions.

I run RTK's first generation kit and never put it back in after playing with Mel's kit. Nothing taken away from Kelsy he is an innovator as well.

Cheers Don.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
The way it is written on the website this is for flat land. How does this work at 10000'? I am running MDS weights and love them how will this work with them?

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
Holy crap! That's insane. 90 degrees and a 500lbs spring. It must come with different helix bolts. those alum. stockers would never hold. I've been trying to get ahold of these guys. The phone is always busy so that must be a good thing. I want to know if anyone has used high elevation too.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
This is a reverse cut helix with a spring to match. There is realy nothing out there like it. The back shift if perfect with out putting you over the bars. It will up shift only when you have load on the track. If you leave the ground for any reason the secondary will back shift to about 6000 rpm's is most all sleds from 440-800cc's. Bigger power sleds will pull more rpm's because of the torque they are making.

The next time you get spanked on the hill look under the hood for one of these.

Don.

Hey Don, i was reading the stuff on the site and it looks more like a flat land rider stuff?? It doesn't seem like it has been tested in the mountains much or has it??? I have had a RKT on my old 07 M8 and it was quite amazing so i may lean that way??

W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
clutching

If you have any questions about the differance just call Kelsey and ask him. I have had several conversations about other peoples stuff and his, he will never bash them just tell you his strong points as well as theirs and try to lead you in the direction that is best for you. Great guy fell I like he always tries to help you out and just not with his stuff, he wants you happy with your purchess and if thats his stuff al the more better. Just call him and you will see.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Am I the only one that finds it odd that this setup only works with 440 to 800 motors?? Seems strange to me.

I'd want to see how it works for high altitude, pow, big climbs... Not a lot of info there on that kind of thing.

With Kelsey I know I can call & get a setup that he KNOWS will work for me.

Even BDX when I called recommended a helix that was a complete loser for me. Not that they don't make a good product, but if what you get isn't ideal for what you need it for then it's an inferior product. Having a guy who lives & rides at the elevations & terrain that we do makes all the difference.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
Hey guys i have a 09 M8 HCR i have a D&D Y pipe, D&D can that is about it for aftermarket engine. I ride at 2000ft and at 7500ft i am 6`1 235lb. I am looking at doing some clutching work not sure between the RKT or Dalton. What do you guys think is the best?? I like to boondock(tree ride) but sometimes hill climb. I have been told to go with a RKT 36/34 progressive helix with kelseys custom spring?? Or the 46/36 progressive Dalton helix?? What would be my best set up??

I too run an 09 HCR..... Dalton weights and stock spring in the primary....Dalton 44/36 progressive with shift assist and was running Cat orange last season but have changed to 170/270 Speedwerx spring for the start of the season. I run between 3000 and 8500 ft and with 75 grams I was good to about 6000 ft @ 7,900 RPM then needed to pull a bit of weight out to get the Rs back up. I have heard good things about Kelsey and RK Tech and I have heard some excitement about the dual rate spring...if you happen to try the spring please let me know how it works...good luck and hope this helps.

D
Nov 28, 2007
gopher-it! has been running this kit for 2 years now in the up. Maybe he could chime in on it in the up.

I have had this kit for two years now too and found right off the hop that there was somthing there. My sons 500 would pull it to 6500 rpm on the track stand. My 600 would pull only 7000 rpm's on a track stand. So I thought what a bunch a crap no pull or shift out. Well then I put in on the snow with track feed back WOW my 600 pulled 8150 right out of the gate and never looked back. I hit a rise in the field and the sled jumped the rpm's dropped to 7200 then pined to 8100 again.

So to the hill and same thing when hitting a rise and the load left the track the clutch would back shift and lay right in the torque of the motor. No more hunting from the secondary at all.

My 600 is like a 1000 in the up for power. To each their own you will not be chasing your tail with tune when the snow condition's change like the torsion kits. If any out you guys have been noting on the progression of the torsion kit the springs just keep getting stiffer.

I would love an escrow company to do a track dyno on Mels kit.

Cheers Don.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
you still havent said whether it works at high elevation or not....if not this information is useless to most of us on here, although it is pretty interesting.

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
I talked to mel about that x 1 clutch kit. he was uncertain about how it would work on a longer tracked sled at high elevation.

He also said that the older F7's m7's etc. that first came out with the diamond drive, had a timing curve that adjusted itself based on how fast your engine reved up. The new 800 ho's don't do that. (according to mel, I'm not sure).

He also said that if your on a new sled this might happen, he had this one complaint from a customer with a new sled. " If you have the sled pinned, and you get airborne then hit the ground while your still pinned the sled might bog ". i guess it didn't backshift right. So I dunno, he said he would give me my money back if it didn't work for me and he would like me to try it and give him some feedback.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
I talked to mel about that x 1 clutch kit. he was uncertain about how it would work on a longer tracked sled at high elevation.

He also said that the older F7's m7's etc. that first came out with the diamond drive, had a timing curve that adjusted itself based on how fast your engine reved up. The new 800 ho's don't do that. (according to mel, I'm not sure).

He also said that if your on a new sled this might happen, he had this one complaint from a customer with a new sled. " If you have the sled pinned, and you get airborne then hit the ground while your still pinned the sled might bog ". i guess it didn't backshift right. So I dunno, he said he would give me my money back if it didn't work for me and he would like me to try it and give him some feedback.

Hey Destroyer i have talked to Mel over the email about this to, and i got the same story about that customer he had a HCR like me(mel says). He gave me the same deal to buy one of his kits and if i didn't like it the would return my full money back to me. I am just not sure though about it?? What do you think?? Will you go for it?? I have ran Kelseys kits before and they to WORK!! So i am definitly leaning that way more??

Premium Features