• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interesting new product.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Has anybody bought this yet? Was going to buy a shim kit from SLP for a turbo sled but this may make more sense.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Wish I would have thought of that. It takes care of the premature wearout of the outer bushing and gives a sheave adjustment tool at the same time. Although I do wonder how long the adjustment part of it will stand up, I think loctite will be needed!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I should have a bunch of these in about 10 days and will be doing field testing and will report. However, this look to me like a product that will work awesome and I don't think there will be much R&D to arrive at the conclusion that it is a good addition.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
When you pull a clutch apart you set the belt to sheave clearance using shims that are in between the sheaves. A large portion of the time on an Arctic Cat clutch the spider will strip when you are disassembling the clutch and then you have to replace the spider (if it is even available). This new piece will allow you to adjust the primary externally which to my knowledge has not been a possibility to date.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
RacinStation:

I still run my 4 weight clutch in my '07 M1000 with STM billet spyder and cover. Will this work with my set-up? Do I need this or does the STM cover already give this additional "support"?

Any info appreciated.

Q

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Q:

The main purpose for the STM cover is to allow you to use the SkiDoo style clutch springs. It also has a different design than stock which allows it to capture the towers better to prevent movement. The ABC shaft will work with your STM cover and be fine. I don't know the exact coverage area on the STM face plate, but stock is around .10" and the ABC is .40". Still the ability to adjust the primary is awesome because the difference in a properly shimmed and improperly shimmed primary is massive belt wear and damage to the clutch. The way I look at it the ABC shaft is like buying another belt that will last 3 or 4 times longer than a regular belt.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
.020 put a new belt on, pull it down into pri, stick feeler gauge in there and measure gap

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
.020 put a new belt on, pull it down into pri, stick feeler gauge in there and measure gap

measured between the edge of the belt and the movable sheave, with the other edge tight against the stationary sheave i assume? and i guess it goes without saying that a guy should be using a new belt when making the adjustment?

Last edited:
D
Nov 28, 2007
measured between the edge of the belt and the movable sheave, with the other edge tight against the stationary sheave i assume? and i guess it goes without saying that a guy should be using a new belt when making the adjustment?

New or used. You can get better performance over the life of the belt by checking as the belt wears. There is a huge difference when your stuck in the deep between a .020 set up belt to sheave and a .070 belt to sheave. The difference between a smoked belt and one that takes the power.

The mag force fly weights are great with this. You can adjust the fly weight when you move the roller in. The more you move the sheave in the more roller to weight you will get. These 05 up primary's have the weights tucked in there tight.

You release the animal in the sled when you get the belt to sheave right and the correct tip weight to match.

Don.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
So, by using this one would not have to shim the spiders for belt to sheeve clearance for belt wear. but another thing i just thought of, someone correct me if i am wrong but.... now you wont have to send your clutch to slp for shimming to use their MTX weights????? just run this and set the sheeve clearance and deflection, and you are good to go??? ski

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
New or used. You can get better performance over the life of the belt by checking as the belt wears. There is a huge difference when your stuck in the deep between a .020 set up belt to sheave and a .070 belt to sheave.

i got curious last night after reading this topic and went into the shop with my digital caliper. i'm changing my primary this year after realizing it was totally worn out before the end of last season.

new belt was 1.399 wide
belt on sled was 1.377
when i saw this i immediately thought of using the adjustment to maintain proper clearance even with a worn belt (like you mention above). very cool.

couldn't get my caliper into the clutch, but on the old one, with the old belt, there looks to be about 1/8" between the sheave and belt!!! looks like i could have used this thing long ago.

i then took my new clutch, opened it up all the way and pulled my new belt in there nice and tight. didn't have my feeler gauge, but gap looks correct. i definitely want to keep it that way, and keep my new clutch in good shape, so i came back inside and placed my order. can't wait to be putting power to the ground a lot more efficiently!

Premium Features