• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

shovel mount

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i know most say you should carry your shovel on you but i dont, and wont. so where do you guys mount your shovel if you dont carry it

P

Powder Buster

Feb 3, 2009
If you've got an aftermarket can on it you can fit it behind the can. Plenty of room there. I know I've seen a thread or two on it with some pictures, might try a search.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
i know most say you should carry your shovel on you but i dont, and wont. so where do you guys mount your shovel if you dont carry it

In other applications, I have used the spring loaded clips that are normally used in the garage to hold a broom or something else by the handle. Not sure if that would hold up or hold onto the shovel but it might. They are cheap and the only thing you would be out is a couple bucks and a hole or two wherever you mount it. The only reason I haven't tried it is b/c I have thought they look dumb. But maybe there is one out there that looks decent.

May I ask why you wont carry a shovel on you? Just curious as to your reasoning.

I hate getting mine out of my pack so I bought a 2nd, one for my pack w/ my other avy gear and one I keep on the sled. I haven't found a convenient place to keep the one on the sled yet so i'm interested to hear the responses to this!

Samiam

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I am fairly new to the whole "forum" thing, is it bad taste to post a link to another forum that answers the question?

Some sites may be blocked, as long as your helping not trying to promote another site, the world won't come to a end:face-icon-small-hap

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Here is the mount on my wife's 600 Mountain cat.
Notice the probe. Some fit in the handle but I would get a shovel with a saw in the handle.

HPIM0620.jpg HPIM0621.jpg HPIM0622.jpg HPIM0623.jpg HPIM0624.jpg

B

blackcat900

Nov 26, 2007
Chelan WA.
I have mine on my Mountain Addiction bag might be hard to see in pic but shovel fits under some elastic straps on top of bag and handle is held on front of bag comes out very quick when needed

downsized_0410001534.jpg

W
Sep 15, 2010
ID
I put the shovel head under the can, some might not fit but mine does, it does rattle some times though, then I relocated the back up alarm and stuck it down through the foot well brace then ran a large zip tie through the knee vent to hold the upper part. not the best setup but it works.

W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Shovel placement

I have a shovel with a more square handle and I take the shovel handle out and put it inbetween my belt in the velcro holder it holds it very good, then you can put the shovel part many places, mime is under my seat. Lots of times I dont even get out the handle just use the shovel. Easy to get to and use. The handle is the hardest thing to store and not catch on every thing. Hope this helps.

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
I think most guys pack one on their pack!!!! First thing we were told in are Avy course was to not remove your pack when stuck or helping guys out. So most of us pack a second shovel on sled!!!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Fasta, agree with you completely & I would hope that's the case, but it's not...

i know most say you should carry your shovel on you but i dont, and wont.

Some folks just don't get it.

but hey, your buddy's life isn't really THAT important.. IS IT??? :boom:

The sad thing is that someone with any avy education wouldn't be asking this question.

Last edited:
S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
There have been many cases where snowmobilers have been involved in avalanches and their shovels were mounted on the sleds. Unfortunately, the rescuer's sled was also buried (the driver remained on the surface) and he was no help in rescuing the other person. Fatalities have resulted in placing the shovel on the sled.
If you have an avalanche airbag pack, it is recommended that you mount a shovel on the sled and also carry one in your pack. You do not want to have to take off your pack in avalanche terrain or runout zones to access the shovel, but you do want one on your body to help others.

Mike Duffy
www.avalanche1.com
snowmobile specific avalanche classes

Premium Features