• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my cluch fell appart should i have to pay for it

N
Feb 2, 2008
white rock bc
Hey guys, so the bushing inside my primary fell off at the end of last season and i didnt bring it in untill today. my dealer called me and said i need a whole new primary which will cost almost 700$...WTF the thing just unthreaded off on its own, my sled has 400 miles on it, i kind of feel like im getting plowed??
any thoughts?? thx

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Clutches are like tires or clutches on cars. They are not warranted. How many miles on that sled/clutch? If you bought it from a dealer, he should work with you a little. Maybe get the part at cost + labor or something. That is a lot.

I bought one from someone here and paid $250. It was rebuilt and balanced. IndyDan suggests a new clutch, but mine ran great.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Clutch's

What do you mean they do not warranty a clutch if the sled has warranty the clutch should but just because it only has 400 mile does its should be warrantied but if it has a year warranty then yes they should fix the clutch but what do I know I have never bought a new poo.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
What do you mean they do not warranty a clutch if the sled has warranty the clutch should but just because it only has 400 mile does its should be warrantied but if it has a year warranty then yes they should fix the clutch but what do I know I have never bought a new poo.

Easy with the run on sentence. It was my impression that clutches were not warrantied. I grenaded one last year and Polaris wouldn't touch it.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
polaris doesnt warranty clutches, they consider them a wear item, that if not maintained will fail, which they will. seems weird that the bushing fell out though, if the rest of the clutch looks fine, and the bushing was pressed in wrong from the factory and obviously fell out because of it then your dealer should be able to take pics and work with polaris on the issue. warranty only works as good as the dealership that is doing the work.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
The primary clutch on my 08 800 dragon had some groves wear into the shives...Polaris warrantied it for me..they did not really want to my dealer said but then they did..said they would not do it again so I figured I was lucky...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Guys... $700 is the CDN price.

That clutch is probably fixable for a reasonable price.

See this link (CLICK HERE)

It will end up better than new.

What year/model sled?

Can you post pics?

Do you know how to remove/install a clutch?

Indy Specialty
23503 145 th Ave
Welch Mn 55089
NEW - >> 651-388-9045
E-mail - indydan1@hotmail.com

Clickable website link below.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Indy-Spe...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Shipping both way through the postal system will be the most economical for you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
I am not sure I am following the poster correctly here but I think his Primary fell off and the bushing dropped out??

The Polaris Maintenance Schedual calls for the first Clutch dissasembly and inspection at 500miles. I you only had 400 on it I would beat my drum loudly with the dealer you bought it from. Sometimes you have to bribe the service manager...sometimes you have to jump up and down with a lot of other customers watching. Sometimes you have to have a hot female do the asking...the trick is you have to know when to be firm and when to be nice and when each will work. I would revisit the dealer and then call Polaris customer service. You are in sort of a gray area IMHO.

You better look very close at the threadsfor damage. What all parts are bad??

The failure was not due to a wear out condition but rather due to a poor torque job on the primary. Was this due to factory assembly which may be considered a defect in workmanship. But the question will come up: Was the Primary ever taken off by the dealer for Primary weight changes in thier set ups?

In Polaris Warranty conditions and exclusions: Warranty does not apply to exposed friction surfaces, stresses, environmental conditions and/or contamination. The following items are excluded from warranty consideration if the failure was due to wear out or not the direct result of a defect.

Clutches and components..........................Ski wear rods
Brake Componenets..................................Slide rails
Skis.......................................................Finished surfaces
Tracks...................................................Carbs/throttle bodies
Seats....................................................Engine components
Steering................................................Drive belts
Batteries...............................................Hydraulics
Light bulbs.............................................Circut breakers/fuses
Idler wheels...........................................Electronic Components

Last edited:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
huh. Interesting read. My dealer gets clutches warrantied all the time no problem. Mine included. Clutch, bushings and weights all got covered at about 1500 miles.

But to your question, going by how my dealer is able to run things, you bet it should be covered! No question. But that's my dealer.

Premium Features