• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel line and filter line options

B

BIGMEATS

Oct 29, 2008
Warman, SK
Just curious if there is any aftermarket options out there for fuel filters for the CFI's? I know there is one for the 755CFI but its to short for my set-up. The filter isn't that expensive. But the return line from the rail to the pump is $175can. Little pricey for a 8" hose. I need one for my 700CFI that just went into my IQR. Any help?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here is a "cut/paste", with permission, from an excellent post by Polar Express

Polar Express :
Replacement fuel filter for Dragons

Given the high cost of the factory fuel filter, the small size, and the hard-to-get-too factor, I decided to follow EricWs lead, and retro on different filter. In his write-up, the sleds have a turbo, and thus, no stock airbox. Our sleds are not turbo’ed (yet), and so we have the space challenge of the stock airbox to work around. Wait…. Maybe this is the reason to justify putting on a turbo!!!!!!

I jumped on the Wix site, and found several options. The one I selected was Wix # 33199. (NAPA # 3199) I did this because it’s rated for EFI, (10 Microns) and if it can supply the Northstar V8 platform, I figure it’s fine for a snowmobile. Also, it’s a reasonable size.

This filter uses 5/16” quick connectors on each end, it actually comes with the plastic clips on the filter, but they come off easily. Dorman makes the 5/16” quick dis-connectors. NAPA (NAPA # 730-4926), and CarQuest (CarQuest # 800-120) carry them.

My concept differs from EricW’s idea in a few ways; my chosen filter uses 5/16” inlet and outlet fittings. The outlet on the top of the fuel tank is also a 5/16”, so I made a hose with two ends that is a little more than a foot long, one end connects to the pressure side of the tank fittings, the other end to the inlet of the filter. The third disconnect fitting goes on the outlet of the filter, and about 3 feet of line get you to the fuel rail. I cut off the factory crip-on at the fuel rail, and put on the EFI fuel line. I chose 5/16” fuel line, EFI rated, and it’s not cheap. It’s about $6/foot, but you only have to buy it once.

Parts list:
5’ 5/16 EFI fuel line (~$30)
(3) 5/16” quick disconnects (~30)
(4) premium hose clamps (~$5)
fuel filter (~$8)

So, yes, doing this retrofit costs you as much as one Factory Polaris fuel filter, but…. I can change my filter in about a minute, and it only costs me $8 to do so. When it is easy, and cheap, it gets done more frequently.

Based on my discussions with Curt @ Fastrax, he is of the opinion that a 2-micron filter would be ideal, but so far, we have not found a filter with that small of filtration in a reasonable size for our application. (I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, we just don’t know of one). I’ll agree that 2-microns would be nice, but I suspect that the 10-micron filter from Wix is likely better than what is available from Polaris, and certainly less expensive.

The first one I did was on my wife’s D7, and we were replacing the motor, so access was easy (on the bench). On my D8, however, I did it in the sled. I pulled the secondary, pulled the PTO side torque brace, and used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the steel crimp. Worked like a champ. With the location, the hoses needed to be longer, to make larger curves, and avoid crimping. Not really a big deal.

Here are some pics. Feel free to PM [Polar Express] with any questions.

P4062518.jpg

P4062519.jpg

P4062520.jpg

Premium Features