• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 adjustable weights

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
i'm thinkin SkiLaxn is sphonshured by MDS...??

My money is on CPC, i use them in all my Msleds. Nothing is easier to adjust and tune on the fly! It actually takes longer to "open your hood" than make the adjustment..

Maybe MDS are cheaper,....then ya can save your cash for overpriced oil.

:face-icon-small-con

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Powderpatrol your sphonshurship is not going to make it this year. I have tried the other adjustable weights and have been very impressed with the MDS. And for the oil it is working out good on the sphonshurship. How many cases you need?

F

fullshift

May 22, 2009
Brandon,Manitoba Canada
The Dalton's are better than Cutlers.With the Cutlers you have to take the weight off to change the tip weighted set screws from the bottom.You don't have to take the Dalton's weight off everything is threaded in from the top.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The Dalton's are better than Cutlers.With the Cutlers you have to take the weight off to change the tip weighted set screws from the bottom.You don't have to take the Dalton's weight off everything is threaded in from the top.

Both sets work off of the hooper patent, and essentially work the same.

The Cutler weights load all from the same direction, from the heel, just like dalton.

Dalton Weights
snowmobile_2_titlepage.jpg

CPC weights

camarm.JPG

The only real difference is the profile. Obviously this can be a very significant difference, so I'm not saying one or the other is better.

///Edit... for foot in mouth///

We ran Cutlers, great product, but we felt that the only time they equaled the performance of cat LT weights was when they were loaded light & at about 1/4- 1/3, which we felt wasn't enough of an advantage to spend the extra money instead of cat weights.

If you ride at extreme altitude differences, they would probably be worth the $$ though, you can change weights in about 5 min max without even separating the sheaves.

Ski-laxn, do I win a case of oil now??? I wanna be spunshurd too!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
I have the Daltons and they are great. Like has been said they are very easy to adjust. You need to know what altitudes you will be riding to get the proper arm weight to allow adjustabillity. They also come with the same profile as the Cat weights.

F

fullshift

May 22, 2009
Brandon,Manitoba Canada
I have both Cutlers & Dalton's. If you want to change the load of the tip of the culter weight you have to do it from the tip not the heel. You have to take the weight out of the clutch. The bottom 3/8in of the weight is threaded to go in thru the tip.Pain in the ***. The Dalton's can be changed from the heel (threaded the same direction from heel to tip)way easier & quicker.I think they are both the same profile. The Daltons are they own patent. Cutlers use Hoopers patent.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have both Cutlers & Dalton's. If you want to change the load of the tip of the culter weight you have to do it from the tip not the heel. You have to take the weight out of the clutch. The bottom 3/8in of the weight is threaded to go in thru the tip.Pain in the ***. The Dalton's can be changed from the heel (threaded the same direction from heel to tip)way easier & quicker.I think they are both the same profile. The Daltons are they own patent. Cutlers use Hoopers patent.

Perhaps you have some old version of the CPC weight that is dissimilar to what is there now (edit, sounds like somehow I got something different from what others are getting) ? (and apparently something changed with Dalton, as they used to advertise that they were using the Hooper design, sorry if I was incorrect about that)

The current CPC design would allow you to shove a weight all the way through the cam arm until it fell back out the tip of the weight, this configuration allows for you to load the whole cam arm full from the top, there would be no reason to ever remove the weight.

I'm not sure how you have something different unless they're some old design, this is the only system that I've ever seen from them.

Last edited:
T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I have had 3 sets of cutler adjustibles. The most recent set was ordered last season. Every set required tip loading to be done with the weight removed from the clutch to access the tip side. I also fund, (like backcounry is life said) that the CPC's work best when empty, or just slightly weighted. I have since gone back to cat LT tip for this reason. When fully loaded, the sled would not hold consistent RPM's.

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
Ok with everything said, What weight set will get you the RPM's lets say 8150 and have you stay there, hold the rpms and not drop? i have a 09 m8 with slp system. sorry for Hy-jacking this thread.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
75's or 77's at sealevel.
65's at 10000 ft.
Stock Cat Light Tip weights. I can not speak for any of the others, except for the Cutlers.

bparks

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Evergreen, Co
I have the d&d weights they are easy to ajust and they have 10 grams of ajustment .I have been running hoopers stuff for year too and never had problem so if cutler uses hoopers design than it has to be good.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Same here, two year old CPC weights and I could not get tip loaded while in sled, had to remove weight and load from tip. Pain in a$$.
I have had 3 sets of cutler adjustibles. The most recent set was ordered last season. Every set required tip loading to be done with the weight removed from the clutch to access the tip side. I also fund, (like backcounry is life said) that the CPC's work best when empty, or just slightly weighted. I have since gone back to cat LT tip for this reason. When fully loaded, the sled would not hold consistent RPM's.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Same here, two year old CPC weights and I could not get tip loaded while in sled, had to remove weight and load from tip. Pain in a$$.

WTF????

I'm so confused. I had a set 3 years ago, I could take the longest set screw & shove it straight to the tip, how did I have one that was different??:face-icon-small-con

I apologize, I was 100% positive because my set looked exactly like other ones I've seen, but somehow mine were different?

That said, I wouldn't run them with weight in the tip, performance suffers.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Weights

I will give you my .02 on adjustable weights. If a sled comes in my shop and wants me to tune it for them and they have adjustable weights I remove them. I do not like them mainly because of how you change the profile of the weight when you add weight. I am not sure why you even need them unless you ride 3000 ft and 10,000 ft elevation then I can see it but you only need to sets right. Then sometime you do have different snow but the 060 and 046 belts can take care of that.

Its the difference between 73G cat weight and a 72g you would think that the 72 would run higher rpm's than the 73 but that is not true the 73 are light tips and the 72 are full tips. Were you put that weight makes the sled react different so for consistency I stay with the same profile cat weight.

If I was going to buy some adjustable ones it would be the new DD they are cool but they are heavy tips.
a84869c8-d295-44e0-adeb-b3caf9bd3d90.jpg

Premium Features