• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rooster Built vs Dynamo Joe clutch kit

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
I have a 2008 XP 163" and I want to put a clutch kit on it. How do the prices compare for comparable clutch kits between Dynamo Joe and Rooster Built (WinterBrew)? What about performance? Are they really that different in performance gains? I put a DJ kit on my 07 REV last year and it was awesome....just wondering what the difference is between RB and DJ kits.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Kit comes with primary spring, adjustable pin kit and QR helix
Summer price $245.00 CAD today = 235.00 USD
Reg price 275.00 CAD today = 266.00 USD

Especially for 2008 model, optional DJMR replacement ramps to change out your 413's
Clicky for Ramp explanation illustration
Summer price $99.00 CAD today = 95.00 USD
Reg price 124.00 CAD today = 120.00 USD

In the final analysis, over stock should be an honest to goodness 3~4mph gain track speed in the range of 30~45mph track speed under load at full throttle. Peak track speed stays fairly solid with little drift. Impressive quick backshift, strong ability to recover rpms under full throttle. Tight throttle control in the trees, ability to handle just about any engine & exhaust mod addons available.
...service after the sale, repeat customers.

Happy highmarking

Last edited:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
RB kit is great, heard the same about DJ's. I personally have not heard anything bad about either kit.

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply Joe!!!

RB kit is great, heard the same about DJ's. I personally have not heard anything bad about either kit.

Yeah I haven't heard bad about either kit. I just wanted to know if there was a price difference and/or a performance difference. If they're both comparable, then its pretty much a service choice or a name/brand choice. If anybody knows the answers to these questions, I'd love to hear em.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Rooster Built vs Dynamo Joe clutch kit Reply to Thread

I purchased and installed Joey's kit in '08 and was pleased with performance, price,and customer service. Since then I've had Roosterbuilt service my sled (clutch) because of MY lack of maintainance. He didn't try to sell me his kit or any other products that I didn't need or that he has not personally tested and proven. He rebuilt my clutching at a fair price and made reccomendations to me to improve performance, all WITHOUT bashing the other guys product. Both guys mentioned are very knowledgeable :tea: and offer excellent customer service, I think any price difference would be minimal, both have a good product and is definitely an improvement over stock.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have a 2008 XP 163" and I want to put a clutch kit on it. How do the prices compare for comparable clutch kits between Dynamo Joe and Rooster Built (WinterBrew)? What about performance? Are they really that different in performance gains? I put a DJ kit on my 07 REV last year and it was awesome....just wondering what the difference is between RB and DJ kits.

These guys both build a Great kit and both work well. They each have there own unique approach to achieve better performance. I run Toms and he again has a different approach.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Pricing is real close....our XP setup is $340 including ramps, pri.spring, pin weights and helix. We almost always recommend a top gear change depending on mods,rider weight, riding style, altitude etc...
This is a good time to make sure EVERYTHING in both clutches is in perfect condition. NO clutch setup will be effective if there is excessive wear....and the '08's have some areas of concern....spring cap, rollers etc...

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
Paul, any summer deals on your 860 kit?:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-win

Keith:face-icon-small-ton

F
May 17, 2008
These guys both build a Great kit and both work well. They each have there own unique approach to achieve better performance. I run Toms and he again has a different approach.

I bought RB kit and love it the best thing about these two guys is they don't bash each other! They both make good products and don't need to trash talk each others stuff. I'd buy from either one and if you don't get "better than stock" both will answer the phone and do everything in their power to make it right.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Just purchased the rooster built kit for my 2010 summit 800 146'', can't wait to get out west and try it.

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
I have a kit in mine that will remain unnamed and I can honestly say the stock components worked better with equal belt temperature levels.

I don't think this statement reflects on the kits. If you are not seeing "better than stock" performance then you have something else in the system that is altering the result.
I can attest 100% that if set up correctly and all components in proper fitness and sometimes even a little subpar in fitness you will have a better result than stock. If it is not performing you need to pick up the phone cause once it is running you will have a big grin on your face.

800HMX

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2002
Okotoks, AB
There is NO doubt that the stock clutching can be improved upon. BRP should be embarassed with their Summit clutch setup, the quality of the
components and the fact that they are continually changing (TRA3, 4, 5,7 and now the etech). When was the last time the P85 changed.

I have no experience with the Roosterbuilt Kit and I don't know anyone around here with one so I can't comment on how well it works.

However, many many of us that ride in BC and AB use the DJ kit and it simply works!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
do either have a kit out for 11 etech yet?

RB does not, realisticaly it will be early January before we have time to test in a variety of conditions and altitudes with fully broken in sleds. We have 2 test sleds for comparison. Power delivery is different than carb models so there is a good chance it will be different than previous years calibration.

WFO....we need to hook up and ride so you can compare to stock.

Last edited:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I installed the DJ kit on my 09. I have not heard one bad thing about either and I have seen neither of them get pissy on the forums. Joey is a stand-up guy and didn't give the impression of being annoyed when I called just to get a question verbally answered. Hopefully I get out this weekend to run it and see if I got my weights right.

Premium Features