• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch hitting

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Well i decided to pull my clutches today to have them gone threw. Well when i pulled mine off i noticed that it is rubbing the seal cover the gold one. not sure if this is good or bad. ANY HELP..gtfvybv

028.jpg

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Called a dealer in utah and asked him he said that is normal the tallorence's on the clutch and gold seal plate are very very close. Still don't seem right to me..

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
My 08 was doing the same thing, the metal lip in the crank case for the retainer ring on the crankshaft bearing (holds crank end play) was broken and gone, obviously went through the piston with little damage as the sled ran fine. You could move the crank back and forth about a 1/4 inch, but not all the time, so I pulled it apart. Repair is new crank case. Some folk use a hammer and hit the end of clutch puller to pop the clutch off, not a good thing on any motor but definately not the pol dragon 800's.

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
I was wondering when i took the clutch off the bolt was tight but not torqued like should have been wonder if the clutch was spinning on the crank and wore out the in side of the clutch i only have 387 mile's on the sled.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
If you had to torque the clutch puller to pull the clutch, then I would say no. Was there any galling or scores on the crank end? Have you blown a belt, if so maybe belt cords got in there. I would bolt the clutch back on (not tight) and try to move the crank in and out, there should be no noticable movement. Hope this helps!

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
If you had to torque the clutch puller to pull the clutch, then I would say no. Was there any galling or scores on the crank end? Have you blown a belt, if so maybe belt cords got in there. I would bolt the clutch back on (not tight) and try to move the crank in and out, there should be no noticable movement. Hope this helps!

X2 on that.

I understand what everyone is saying regarding the primary clutch, its all great advice and great knowledge, but am I the only one who sees that he's holding the driven (secondary) clutch in the picture.
Or am I just seeing things? That looks like a fairly large diameter clutch based on the size of the arms in the picture.

Are we giving advice for a primary issue.......great advice nonetheless......for a driven (secondary) clutch issue?

attachment.php

Last edited:

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
No that's a primary, don't see a helix. Does look big though, must be a youngster holding it!

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Yes that is my kid holding the clutch and i will reinstall and try moviing the crank tomrrow and keep u updated . thanks for the replys and the input.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
as stated above i'd say your ringlet inside the case has been cracked out allowing the crank to move side to side. attached is a pic of the early process of this, luckilly we caught mine before any damage happened. the only real fix for this is to have your case halves machined out and remove this section. Indy Dan is the man for the job! Fast Trax is also now doing this on all of their turbo sled builds too.
mycrankcase.jpg

Here are some pics of the case after being properlly machined out
machinedcase.jpg

machinedcase2.jpg

machinedcase3.jpg

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Well if that is the case it is going to the dealer cause i still have warrenty till the 22 of aug. i better hurry

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
as stated above i'd say your ringlet inside the case has been cracked out allowing the crank to move side to side. attached is a pic of the early process of this, luckilly we caught mine before any damage happened. the only real fix for this is to have your case halves machined out and remove this section. Indy Dan is the man for the job! Fast Trax is also now doing this on all of their turbo sled builds too.
mycrankcase.jpg

Here are some pics of the case after being properlly machined out
machinedcase.jpg

machinedcase2.jpg

machinedcase3.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Jkinzer, that is what I was trying to explain. I'm not sure how many miles I put on after that lip broke off, the last clutch service was 1500 miles and there was over 3000 when I noticed it. Not sure how that metal escaped without taking the motor with it as there was not a trace of metal in the bottem end when we tore it down and the piston scuff did not look to bad for that many miles.

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Ok i went out and put the clutch back on and push and pulled on the crank turn the motor over while pulling and pushing and the crank does not move at all pulled the gold cover off and the seal and crank look perfect. wondering if when i install my vent if i left some garbage that got behind the clutch and rubbed it. I;am not sure what to thing now. I will try to get ahold of indy dan to see what the lead time and cost is maybe i'll just pull it anyway and have it fixed.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
now would be a great time to just get it done and not have any worries for the rest of the season. unfortunately the way the case is designed its just a matter of when not if, that will break... as stated above many motors have had it break and saw no real issues, but its always better to be safe than sorry.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Take it into the dealer... Make sure that a warranty claim is made...well before it expires... Even if you think it is nothing.

That needs to be fixed...now is the time before the season...

Many dealers are too busy with summer stuff and your item will get back-shelved unless you run tight reign on it... don't let it get back-shelved.

Anyone you know have an 07 -10 dragon you can try their clutch on your motor to see if the Taper on the clutch was mis-machined too deep?

What about clutch alignment for offset... Is that confirmed to be correct?

Last edited:
Premium Features