• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt issue

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
My belt is missing some of the main thread on the engine side. I was hoping someone might know some causes of this. Its on a t-nytro with a 174 track. Could it be from excessive clutch heat from the 20 t chain case gear? Thank you for any knowledgable responses.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
how many miles are on it.. how is the clutch alignment.. how hot do your clutches get, are there any black streaks on the clutch sheaves.. just trying to get some info to diagnose.

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
how many miles are on it.. how is the clutch alignment.. how hot do your clutches get, are there any black streaks on the clutch sheaves.. just trying to get some info to diagnose.

I have 1500 miles on it, there are no black streaks on the sheaves, there is some glazing on the belt. The only thing im not sure of is the alignment, the bushing, raps, and spring in the secondary are all replaced. Thank you

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
1500 miles on the belt?? if so thats just life, and really good as well. just the constant grabbing on the clutch does wear on the belt, and once it wears it down a little the threads start to become exposed then fall/rip out. time for a new one. If you get 1500 miles on a belt, call yourslef lucky!! but I wouldnt run that one anymore, once there is a grove from missing threads, they go downhill fast. and it will be affecting your clutching with it being that worn(also sucks to blow em climbing scary stuff)

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
Sorry guys, I meant the sled, I thought you were referring to the clutches, the belt has only a couple rides on it.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
check your alignment...also check that the primary and secondary are parallel to each other...when the engine in re-installed, it is easy to get it crooked in the frame...each motor mount has an adjuster, so each of the 4 can be adjusted and the alignment can be fine tuned. it takes a special tool to adjust the motor mounts.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
To adjust the motor mounts I just got a 14mm (I think 14mm or what ever fits) socket and grinded it down to where there were two "stubs" that could grab the motor mount adjuster and it worked good.

Premature belt failure can be so many things, need to know your clutching as it sits, which weights, where are they loaded, what helix, what twist, etc...

One thing people overlook when finding out what is causing belt failure is belt slip from snow getting in the clutches. We've found that pluging all the vents around the clutch will actually increase belt life by keeping snow from getting through the vents and slipping the belt when riding in the mountains.

Premium Features