• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch question

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It will fit and it should have the large bearng cover... on an 800.

The big question is, how many miles on it?

Also, you MUST re shim the primary to run the belt you are using if different from the 3211080 belt used in the 800's... I really dont recommend using the

Cracked clutches are usually an idication of overheating clutches...

Do you still have the stock clutching in the sled?.... If so, it is pretty poor from the factory... a simple clutching change and gearing will give you much better performance.

Was the 700 a belt eater or could you go 1000 miles on the same belt?

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
It will fit and it should have the large bearng cover... on an 800.

The big question is, how many miles on it?

Also, you MUST re shim the primary to run the belt you are using if different from the 3211080 belt used in the 800's... I really dont recommend using the

Cracked clutches are usually an idication of overheating clutches...

Do you still have the stock clutching in the sled?.... If so, it is pretty poor from the factory... a simple clutching change and gearing will give you much better performance.

Was the 700 a belt eater or could you go 1000 miles on the same belt?

i run the 1115 Poo belt. The clutch is original to my sled.....so about 3200 miles on it. It used to ne a belt eater. I replaced all the motor mounts and had the clutch completely rebuilt before last season......i probably have around 700 miles on this belt, so all is good there.
So.........from what I'm reading, a new clutch...with some small tweaks, will improve performance?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If your clutch is original to your sled...unless you've had it done... it is not setup properly to run the 3211115 belt which is a differnt width from the original 3211080 belt that came with your 700 or the 800 clutch you want to put on it.

A high mileage clutch (over 3000 miles) is not worth it to put into your sled... Get a new one or a fully blueprinted/balanced used one.

The Primary clutch is the most essential link between your engine and track, IMO. ... make sure it is spot on before investing any money into other upgrades.

What is your current primary wieghts, primary spring, secondary spring, secondary helix and top/bottom gearing... track length and and riding elevation?

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
If your clutch is original to your sled...unless you've had it done... it is not setup properly to run the 3211115 belt which is a differnt width from the original 3211080 belt that came with your 700 or the 800 clutch you want to put on it.

A high mileage clutch (over 3000 miles) is not worth it to put into your sled... Get a new one or a fully blueprinted/balanced used one.

The Primary clutch is the most essential link between your engine and track, IMO. ... make sure it is spot on before investing any money into other upgrades.

What is your current primary wieghts, primary spring, secondary spring, secondary helix and top/bottom gearing... track length and and riding elevation?

I had the clutch totally rebuilt and balanced by my dealer before riding last fall, so it's set up to run the 1115 belt. That being said, I have no faith in that dealer due to some issues after the fact. It ran great all year, but like the old saying goes..."you dont know what you dont know" , I could be getting alot better performance and not know it.
I am a noob when it comes to all the particulars of the clutch. I ride a 06 700 159 at 3000' to 6500' elevations.
Its looking like I'm better off to get a new clutch than to buy someone else's problems. Just didnt want to drop $400 more into the sled when I had alot of other things that needed to be done. Was hoping a good used one would be good, but I see your point on how important it is.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
jeff,

if you arent in a hurry like i said...i might have a clutch for you this summer/fall that i will guarantee will last and has been maintained top notch...

dont forget the link i sent you for an electric start kit...clutch was brandnew and has an OBO ;) and the other parts are easy to sell that you dont need

but in the mean time ill let you know if i can help out

Premium Features