• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for a good SLED LIFT for summer mods.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The time is rapidly approaching when I will be ready to start "tinkering" on my sled, and now the next item on my list is a Sled Lift to get her up in the air where I can work on her with greater ease and access.

So, once again, I am looking for suggestions from those of you who have already been there and done that?

Whats good, and whats junk??
They all look pretty much the same, or at best, minor variations on the same theme..

Is any manufacturer making something that is clearly better, easier to use, more reliable/dependable, ect than the others??

============
http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=164_171_98&products_id=373
snow_workstand1.jpg

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Sled-Lift.aspx?a=386095&kwtid=261648
128110_ts.JPG

http://ad-discountperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5647
e32eafa5140df6c8fea46794c43b1c83.image.600x366.jpg

http://shop.hyperformanceparts.com/productdetail.htm?productId=10068654&ez=American%20Manufacturing~q=bidaa70zz~r=~&rand=62777
f5d8a5ec-cafa-4a9a-9b23-fb59be996fac.jpg

Last edited:

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I have one that resembles this one, no complaints with it and it's 10 years old.

I use 1/2" drive drill to raise and lower mine

e32eafa5140df6c8fea46794c43b1c83.image.600x366.jpg

O

octanefam

Oct 19, 2009
Puyallup, WA
I bought mine from mtmmax97 (Board Member) and we have been very pleased with the craftsmanship and quality! When I bought he mentioned that we was going to make an ATV adapter to you use for ATV's so a multi use toy lift!

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Ive got the red one u have pictured and never had a problem with it, works great... first thing i did was take off the hand crank on the shaft, i just use my dewalt cordless drill on low and it raises it up and down with ease... had it for three years and still works perfect... good luck christopher!!!

CK

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I bought mine from mtmmax97 (Board Member) and we have been very pleased with the craftsmanship and quality! When I bought he mentioned that we was going to make an ATV adapter to you use for ATV's so a multi use toy lift!
Another person mentioned him right off as well.
Sent him a note and am waiting for some pictures on what he builds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Perhaps this is a stupid question, and shows my ignorance of these lifts, but I don't see ANY kind of a Fail-Safe device on any of them??

If the main coil-jack mechanism in the front fails, or it's supporting weld, the entire lift comes crashing down.

Shouldn't there be some kind of a locking/ratcheting mechanism as well??

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
well everything will come crashing down, if something fails. but really the sled is only going to drop like 6-8", it takes more of a beating going down the trail. As long as your arm isn't between the arms nothing should get damaged.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Perhaps this is a stupid question, and shows my ignorance of these lifts, but I don't see ANY kind of a Fail-Safe device on any of them??

If the main coil-jack mechanism in the front fails, or it's supporting weld, the entire lift comes crashing down.

Shouldn't there be some kind of a locking/ratcheting mechanism as well??

I think as it is a screw type jack you really have no worries with it collapsing and most welds are as strong or stronger as the metal they have bonded together.
I think if you built one with a crank with a cable system,you would need some sort of safety lock.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
well everything will come crashing down, if something fails. but really the sled is only going to drop like 6-8", it takes more of a beating going down the trail. As long as your arm isn't between the arms nothing should get damaged.
Thats the part that has me just a tad bit concerned. :face-icon-small-sho

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'd put your own bar with pins on both sides for a fail safe if you want one.

The Mar lifts are nice...

All of the scissors types above give great access to track etc.. but if you want ot install snow elimination boards, belly pans/nose pans... you will still have to do it on the floor unless you get a platform style lift like shown in my post in the 900 forums for my project sled.

Both styles have their plus's and minus's...

I do know one thing... you get what you pay for in a lift... plan on spending $400-$600 for a good one IMO. over $1000 for a platform style.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'd put your own bar with pins on both sides for a fail safe if you want one.

The Mar lifts are nice...

All of the scissors types above give great access to track etc.. but if you want ot install snow elimination boards, belly pans/nose pans... you will still have to do it on the floor unless you get a platform style lift like shown in my post in the 900 forums for my project sled.

Both styles have their plus's and minus's...

I do know one thing... you get what you pay for in a lift... plan on spending $400-$600 for a good one IMO. over $1000 for a platform style.
You mean the Snap-On ?

Premium Features