• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which skis to upgrade to on my Nytro, Simmons Gen III ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So we got in another full day of fantastic spring riding today at Island Park.
And for the first time I spent the majority of the whole day out in the woods having an absolute blast running around.

But.

I had a chance to ride my buddies XP for a while side by side with my Nytro.

MAN-O-MAN is the steering easier on his XP than on the Nytro.

Seems like I have to FIGHT the nytro to make it turn tight around corners.

Its like the skis are just GLUED to the snow and don't want to change direction.

Would changing out the factory skis help make this beast handle a bit better and reduce driver fatigue??

And if yes, WHICH skis are the ones to go with?

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
The new M9 ski will reduce effort and give a little bit of push much like the "blow 'em up specials". Who'd of thunk the ski made a sled feel heavier:face-icon-small-win
I have a bit of time on them on a 2010 totally stock......I think a lot of peps will be running them next year........if you can get over the"spoon" appearance:face-icon-small-hap
RS

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
"blow em up special"

?

The stock yamaha mtx skis have a very aggressive keel, makes for a difficult time in the hard setup snow when required to do a bunch of very repeated turning.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
"blow em up special"

?

The stock yamaha mtx skis have a very aggressive keel, makes for a difficult time in the hard setup snow when required to do a bunch of very repeated turning.

I am pretty happy with them off trail.
But everywhere I ride requires a long portion of trail to get to the "Off-Trail" areas, and I would just like to get around some of the corners a bit easier without feeling like I have to man-handle the sled through them.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The new M9 ski will reduce effort and give a little bit of push much like the "blow 'em up specials". Who'd of thunk the ski made a sled feel heavier:face-icon-small-win
I have a bit of time on them on a 2010 totally stock......I think a lot of peps will be running them next year........if you can get over the"spoon" appearance:face-icon-small-hap
RS
download.php

download.php

download.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is from another thread here on SW.

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is a post by Roest Racing on TY 4-stroke this morning.

maxdlx wrote:
Man I gotta get a set of those

You might want to save your money. Pokerplayer1 and I have been testing these skis the last 2 rides we have been out. We are comparing them against the OEM Yamaha mountain ski. We have tested them both on groomed trail, set up snow, and deep powder. The test sleds were an 09 XTX and MTX. Testing was done with swaybars in and out, played with limiter straps, and shock settings, and spring preloads. The OEM mountain ski is by far the winner. The problems of the MT9 are as follows.

1. In loose snow and slow speeds the MT9 does not want to turn, it just pushes forward and plows.

2. In deep powder it is very hard to get the sled up on its side to carve, and once it's there it wants to go back down. It turned my MTX into an absolute bear to handle in the deep stuff. The ski IMO is just too large.

3. In wet snow the blow molded plastic did not slide as well. The resistance was noticeable.

4. On the groomed trail it feels good but lacks bite for the corners.

5. The only scenario where it might be superior is in deep powder going straight. Flotation is great then, but everything goes sideways from there if you try and turn or change direction.

It will be be interesting to see what other people think once they have actually tried them, but our conclusion is that they are a waste of time and money.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Not sure what else to suggest. We were comparing the M9s or MT9s.......whatever they're called, to stock XTX and MTX skis. The new Simmons skis that OFT is raving about may be something to look at.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Anyone get to try the new Gen 3 simmons?? I think it might be a great fit

Snatched this from another thread in the Polaris forum

Had a chance to test out the new Simmons Gen 3 Skis this past weekend. They made my dragon ride a lot better, the 8 inch width made it very stable on the trail, carving through the new powder in Halfway was a blast, they make a good sled float even better. Fast or slow the skis reacted very well in every situation. I am looking forward to more testing this weekend.I think they have hit on the perfect balance in the width of the skis. Thanks Val & Michele for giving me the chance to test them out.

They are 8 inches wide compared to the 10 inches the Gen 2 are. I did not noitce any issues with side hills. If anything was different I think it actully held better on the sidehill. The gen 3 is only 1 inch wider per side than the stock ski is. To me it was just enough to make the sled more stable when carving in soft snow. One thing I have always disliked about the dragon is the over balance point when carving, it always seemed to pull over to easy for me. It felt like I was always over riding the chassis, I rode the rev for a long time and have onyl been on the dragon for two years.

These skis really helped me with the over balance issue, now when I pull hard on it it reacts and stops rather than going over that balance point and tipping over or over sterring the wrong way.

The skis look very much like the gen 2 only not as wide. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Got to spend about twenty minutes tearing up about 500 acres of untouched 1ft of fresh pow pow that very same 09 Dragon as well. I WAS ABSOLUTELY IMPRESSED! These skis improved the carving characteristics of this particular sled vastly over the very very capable stock gripper skis. I also have a set of SLP that are cut for advanced handling performance and a set of stock grippers with longer wear bars to compare with directly and the new prototypes were every bit as good as the SLP's and a degree better then the stockers.

They hold a nice consistant edge in a sharp or gradual carving turn. They land and prop the sled better then stock so you don't get diving on your downhill ski in very aggressive high speed back and forth play. Seemed to track perfectly well on the packed too. All around a pretty impressive aftermarket product. Surprised since I've often stated the stockers are as good a choice as anything for the Polaris IQ RAW RMK but I think that I rode something a degree "BETTER".

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I just did a wide search on them and I was surprised at how VERY little information there is out there on the net about the Generation 3 skis.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
First:
They don't sidehill worth a hoot...

Oh wait.

Best sidehill cutting ski I have ever owned! Yeah... that's it! :face-icon-small-hap
This can be attributed to the outer "wing" design of the Gen III. It will allow the skis to cut into a sidehill without sinking in or washing out from under you.

sidy%20sm.JPG

Secondly:

The dual keel design allows for exceptionally stable on trail behavior. The "camber tip" of the skis "unloads" one of the carbides on each ski while in a turn, so you are not strong-arming 4 carbides. (A brilliant engineering use of the natural Ackerman angle and long arm/short arm geometry inherent with this style of suspension)

When turning, only 1 carbide per ski is "fully" engaged with the hard pack. The carbides are also different from inside to outside of each ski to facilitate different cutting rates between each ski - again, refining handling characteristics.

3.JPG

C:

Above and below, you can see there are also lateral grooves between the keels to add a bit more straight line and turning stability. If you think these are inconsequential, think about "sipes" in a set of snow tires... the more cutting edges, the more traction. In addition, the is a slight bit of a concave shape between the keels. This lends itself to helping compact the snow beneath the ski, and hence creating better flotation in loose, deep snow.

16.JPG

Lastly:

Note the spindle mounting location.

A ski with a mount in the center might turn a bit easier than one with it forward or rear of center?????

DUUUHH!!!!

It's a simple physics equation, wrapped with friction applied to the apparent fulcrum, mixed into rotational forces applied to a long or short lever... yada yada yada...

5.JPG

I don't think it is necessary to reiterate the immense rough trail comfort benefits of the "flexi-ski" tip and loop design, or the pioneering that Simmons has done over the years. After all, what other aftermarket ski manufacturer has endured one of the "major 4" manufacturers stealing their design? Dunno, but it speaks volumes to their products!

All in all, OFT Racing gives a 10/10 to the new Simmons Gen 3 (Gen III). It will tame even the most rude handling Nytro on the hill. (I should know - I own it :face-icon-small-hap)

A++++ Val!
Keep innovation alive!!​

P.S. The skis pictured above are prototype models. Actual production models may vary.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
All in all, OFT Racing gives a 10/10 to the new Simmons Gen 3 (Gen III). It will tame even the most rude handling Nytro on the hill. (I should know - I own it :face-icon-small-hap)

A++++ Val!
Keep innovation alive!!​

OUTSTANDING!

Add a pair of these to my list.

Premium Features