• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch alignment

doomama800

Lifetime Membership
Apr 25, 2009
Wyoming
Is there anyway to adjust the clutch alignment on the xp summit 800s mine don't look straight at all. Didn't know if this would help my belt issues. Help

P

papadoo

Nov 28, 2007
walla walla wa
There is no adjustment for the secondary. There is a little adjustment in the motor mounts. My dealer told us to move the motor as far right as we can.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
They make shim kits for secondary im pretty sure.

C
ive added 4mm of shim kit to my secondary then i open up the secondary put a 3/8 aluminum square bar iin the secondary and close it. measure from the inside of the sheaves of the primary bacck and forth, moving the motor as needed till square.

doomama800

Lifetime Membership
Apr 25, 2009
Wyoming
Aren't the secondarys pressed on where do you had the shims? Middle of my secondary is just about to the inside edge of my primary. I don't know if shims will take up that much will it? And how far will the motot move around if you move it? Thanks for the posts keep um comin I'll get this figured somehow.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yes, shims are available from a guy on Dootalk (forget his name at the moment)....works good! You shim behind the bearing and the chaincase to move the entire shaft over as needed, I've done many and had no problems. The DooDoctor setup is very nice, just more $$ but also makes for easy access to the carbs.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Push the engine over to the right as far as yo can.( you might have to die grind the left rear mount out oval like the rest) Do this until the belt stops rubbing on the fixed half of the primary. Then I put a 3/8 square bar in the secondary and line it up to the primary (x y). Have not even hurt a belt since!

doomama800

Lifetime Membership
Apr 25, 2009
Wyoming
Is the square bar long enough to go down to the primary? You want it in the center of both or not. Or is the edge of one closer or line up with the other.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Is the square bar long enough to go down to the primary? You want it in the center of both or not. Or is the edge of one closer or line up with the other.

The 3/8" square bar gets clamped between the secondary sheaves and extends past the primary.....there are X-Y-Z measurements to be taken from this bar to the back of the primary stationary sheave. The dimensions are in the Doo manual or are probably on another thread here somewhere.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I just put the rod out past the primary and made the x y equal and with the belt off the fixed half about .020. I didn't bother with the z measurement.

T
May 22, 2010
Kelowna BC
Aren't the secondarys pressed on where do you had the shims? Middle of my secondary is just about to the inside edge of my primary. I don't know if shims will take up that much will it? And how far will the motot move around if you move it? Thanks for the posts keep um comin I'll get this figured somehow.

We make shims kits to align the clutches, keeps belt heat down. The shims go behind the sec clutch bearing and one for the chaincase side as well. they are in .040" increments. We supplied the Captain with his.
$60 kit is inepensive compared to changing the whole jackshaft.
http://www.terraalpsracing.com/product/clutch-kits

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
How Can this happen

I wonder how can it be so out of alignment right out of the factory with no provsion to align it ??????

tactic

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ontario
Go with Doodoctors floating secondary. I was going through a belt every 200kms. Have not blown a belt since floating secondary was installed.

Premium Features