• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your thoughts on what is causing an overly aggressive engagement?

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Have a friends 08 700 in the shop and it has been doing this for a while. I have looked through the sec clutch and done a visual on the primary on the sled, I plan to pull the primary tonight to go completely through.

Looking for your input SW'rs....

DUB

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
G-Dub,

What weights and spring combo are installed?

What is the belt side Clearance?

What Belt?

What is the deflection set at?

What condition are the faces of the primary in?

How many miles on the clutch? Belt?

Has the belt been washed/scrubbed recently?

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
G-Dub,

What weights and spring combo are installed?

What is the belt side Clearance?

What Belt?

What is the deflection set at?

What condition are the faces of the primary in?

How many miles on the clutch? Belt?

Has the belt been washed/scrubbed recently?

Team green and 65ish Belly Busters, I haven't looked at it real close yet??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dub..

The 140/330 and 65g BB weights is decent.

Do as boxer says... pull the spring and check it for breaks and proper free length (about 3.65"... but call Team for that spec if you want to be certain).

The next things are to re assemble the clutch without the spring and check for wobble and smooth action.

Make sure the side clearance is correct and that the belt is not too worn (compare it to a new belt). If the side clearance is not between .010 and .020"... have it shimmed and balanced by a good shop that knows what they are doing.

Set the Deflection (easy)

Wash the belt with a stiff scrub brush, super hot water and dish soap... rinse really well and let it dry overnight.

Pull the muffler, drain his Chaincase (be carefull not to cross thread the plug when re installing it... it will do this when you breathe on it the wrong way lol). Inspect the gears/chain carefully (remove them), clean out the residue, adjust the tension, install the cover and put in new synth oil. (Easiest to do before you put the cover back on if you have the sled on its side... just pour the correct amount [11oz] before installing the cover and brace. This is a good idea to do a couple of times a season if you ride a lot... great to do at the end of every season regardless.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Green or Light Green? 20lb makes a big difference in engagement. Do the Belly Busters have a similar bottom curvature like the 11 series. "11's" in RMK made for pretty harsh engagement due to extra pinch and a tad added belt to sheave.

Back in the day, a guy would set up his primary pretty loose and use Marv's plastic engagement washers under the clutch bolt head.

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Thanks guys, I will dig in to it tonight. I suspect the belt and clearance as well but will check all!

Premium Features