• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 grams shaved off primary weights without any change?

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
'10 M8 SP 162. Riding between 8k - 11k feet. I'm probably 240 with gear. Sled is stock except for a SLP black/pink primary spring (120/340). Sled has the 36 helix and came with 68g weights.

On long pulls the best I would usually see would be 8050 or somewhere in there, this would be the same even on flat groomed trails. I shaved off 2 grams from each weight from the mid section and tip. I noticed no gain in RPMs and it actually seemed like it was hitting slightly less RPM at times.

I'm tempted to shave some more weight off and see what happens but I don't want to ruin a set of weights if there's something else like the secondary keeping me from hitting the 8200 - 8300 that I think I should be at.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
check for your primary for a binding spring or a broken spring, or roller/pin issues.

dont rob peter to pay paul. always get your rpms with the primary, adjust the shifts with the secondary.

adjusting rpms with the secondary only gives to you in one area... (peak rpms), and robs you in the shift curve somewhere else. ski

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
check for your primary for a binding spring or a broken spring, or roller/pin issues.

Spring looks good, definitely not broken. I took the dremel to the spring and shaved off the paint and also added a touch of grease to each end of the spring to eliminate any binding so I think I'm good there.

Rollers look and feel good. They only have 800 miles on 'em. I'm with you on controlling R's with the primary, I'm just not sure if I should go ahead and shave off more weight or not. I really thought 2 grams would be enough to at least notice a difference.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
i had that same spring and it fit tighter in the spring cups than any of the cat springs i tried. pretty sure the slp springs are a hair larger diameter. it was obvious from missing paint that it was binding. you could try glide washers in the spring cups but i think the slp springs fit too tight which is a bummer because they have some nice rates...

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
I put MDS weights in my 08 m8 and it pulls very hard. I would highly recommend his weights. Call steve at 509-899-0605

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
'10 M8 SP 162. Riding between 8k - 11k feet. I'm probably 240 with gear. Sled is stock except for a SLP black/pink primary spring (120/340). Sled has the 36 helix and came with 68g weights.

On long pulls the best I would usually see would be 8050 or somewhere in there, this would be the same even on flat groomed trails. I shaved off 2 grams from each weight from the mid section and tip. I noticed no gain in RPMs and it actually seemed like it was hitting slightly less RPM at times.

I'm tempted to shave some more weight off and see what happens but I don't want to ruin a set of weights if there's something else like the secondary keeping me from hitting the 8200 - 8300 that I think I should be at.

If you driven clutch is hanging up or the spring is broken or bad i can keep you from getting RPM too

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
fyi, my sled is an 09, not a 2010, but i also hit a wall at 8050 rpm.
primary is good. rollers good .spring good.
i have tried many spring combination's and ran 67.5gr all the way up to 71 gr
w/o changing my peak rpm.i finally gave up.

would love to hear what you end up finding, as i am sure i am in the same boat.

L
Dec 13, 2008
had the same problam with my 2010 stock m8 8030 rpm. ground my weights to 67 no change to make a long stoy short ended up grinding to 65 grams still no change in rpm the more I ground of the less pull the sled had. I installed 68g mtx weights with 3 grams in the toe sled pulls hard rpm 8300 picked up more mid and top end. mtx weights come from slp $100 best money I spent. I also run the black pink spring. 36 helix and ride from 7 to 9000 ft.

Last edited:
S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
I have an 08 and the first time i rode it seem to just top out all stock clutching. The second time I rode it i had put www.mdsclutching.com weights in it and the sled pulls way harder and pulled hard all the way thru to 7950 with 75g weights. I highly recommend you call steve and talk to him. These weights are the best clutching upgrade I have purchased in years. I have run cutler adjustables and all the torsional stuff and these weights make a huge difference.

PS. The oil helps too

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
Was there any change with the stock spring installed??

Didn't get a chance to try it today. What did end up happening is I lost one of the bushings in my primary. Primary clutch was replaced under warranty. The new clutch did seem to make some improvement.

Climbing a fairly steep shot in about 18" of pow I was still settling in somewhere between 7900 - 8000. Track speed was usually around 41 MPH.

L
Dec 13, 2008
I have an 08 and the first time i rode it seem to just top out all stock clutching. The second time I rode it i had put www.mdsclutching.com weights in it and the sled pulls way harder and pulled hard all the way thru to 7950 with 75g weights. I highly recommend you call steve and talk to him. These weights are the best clutching upgrade I have purchased in years. I have run cutler adjustables and all the torsional stuff and these weights make a huge difference.

PS. The oil helps too

looks to me like they somewhat copied slp mtx weights and are charging more than twice as much.

Premium Features