• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 D-8 broken spring in primary clutch

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
Has anyone else seen their spring in the primary clutch break? I've made two trips out west with it since getting it and have put on 171 miles so far. I believe it broke on this last trip but never really noticed any effects from it that I could tell. Although coming from an 08 600 rmk, this D-8 is fun to ride and the power is awesome. I'm gonna talk to the dealer monday and have him warranty me a new spring. Any ideas on why it broke? On the trail back to the truck the last day I was still hitting 8200 rpm and in the wet heavy snow climbing I was getting around 7950-8000. I assume the spring is pretty easy to replace? Just remove the clutch and then the 6 bolts holding the cover on and its out, correct?

primary1.jpg

Also while examing it I noticed there was an air bubble in the oil line just after the filter. The "bubble" was about 1 1/2 inches where there was no oil. It was the first 1 1/2 inches directly after the filter. Then after that it was a solid hose full of oil. Oil consumption seem good while in the mountains. Is there anything I should do about it or should it be ok?

Last edited:

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
it happens, its a part they can brake. I have broken one several yrs ago. alot of guys replace them every season

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
it happens, its a part they can brake. I have broken one several yrs ago. alot of guys replace them every season

I understand that parts brake. I was just surprised to find it broke allready since I never noticed any symptoms while riding this last week. Also I didn't know if it was an indication of any other problems or things like that.

Other than this though I sure am impressed so far with the 800.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Springs break, not common tho. Look at broken spring and clutch when you change it for signs of binding, etc.
As for the oil line get the bubble right to the filter and then move the clamp back and pull the hose gently off the filter just enough to bleed the air out. You should be able to get it all out this way.

Premium Features