• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broke the piece where my steering post bolts to the top of tunnel 2010 m8

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
so my last couple rides i was noticing lots of slop in the adjustable steering post. thought it was normal from what ive read. however to be on the safe side i took it in to make sure nothing serious was going on. turns out whatever the post bolts up to at the bottom (top of tunnel or bulkhead or dd. not sure really). it broke horizontally accross the tunnel or whatever. Havent hit anything, been launching it a bit, but nothing huge at all....15 feet tops. other then that the only thing that could cause this would be my getting unstuck with a rollover technique. and that i could not see happening. reason being i have only done that in really soft snow. has anyone else expierenced this? dealer is pretty much tellin me im up s**t creek with no paddle. thanks a bunch guys and gals!!!!

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
did you crack the actual bulkhead? There is a "steering stop" bracket that is attached to the bulkhead w/ two bolts. The post has a ball in socket with the stud mounted in the middle of the stop bracket going through the bulkhead. If you broke the stop bracket or pulled the bolt through you could add a plate above the track in tunnel to reinforce it and try bolting it down again. If you cracked the bulkhead and they don't warranty it, it can be welded to be stronger than new but you gotta pull it all apart.

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
did you crack the actual bulkhead? There is a "steering stop" bracket that is attached to the bulkhead w/ two bolts. The post has a ball in socket with the stud mounted in the middle of the stop bracket going through the bulkhead. If you broke the stop bracket or pulled the bolt through you could add a plate above the track in tunnel to reinforce it and try bolting it down again. If you cracked the bulkhead and they don't warranty it, it can be welded to be stronger than new but you gotta pull it all apart.

think its the actualy bulkhead itself. which is no good, cause ive already replaced the bulkhead from a pretty major incident with a rock this year. was an expensive fix, so was looking to cut some costs. so they ended up putting a used bulkhead in it. so apperently they dont warranty used parts. apples to oranges really. gettin a buddie to weld'er up for cheap. have you ever heard of this happening from regular wear and tear or just from smash-ups? cause the dealer is tellin me that i had to have hit something else to cause this....was a minor incident with a tree head on, but not nearly enough to crack it that far back.....thanks again

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
those that jump em and drop cornices seem to crack them frequently. otherwise you got to hit something pretty good. i roll mine over to get unstuck in soft snow and while i don't think its good (pushes post into bulkhead) hasn't had any ill effect. weld her up should be stronger for next year!

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
those that jump em and drop cornices seem to crack them frequently. otherwise you got to hit something pretty good. i roll mine over to get unstuck in soft snow and while i don't think its good (pushes post into bulkhead) hasn't had any ill effect. weld her up should be stronger for next year!

gettnig it welded as i type this, but im hoping its gonna be stronger this weekend!!!!!!!thanks again

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
This is common for people that jump.

Not sure how you're getting it fixed, but if they haven't done it yet, put a plate there. This sled went sideways on a 90 footer & not a touch of damage to the new plate.

IMG_1149.jpg

I hadn't even crashed ONCE when mine broke, but since then it has held up extremely well.

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
wow!!!backcountry that looks really familiar!!!! pretty much the exact thing they did, but they ****ed it up, made the plate to thick. wish my dealer had a tig. that is exactly where mine busted, lookin at that pic i seen a drop of coolant and the bottom of the weld. they put a hole in my cooler when they did mine, had to get that fixed too.....same thing with you?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
wow!!!backcountry that looks really familiar!!!! pretty much the exact thing they did, but they ****ed it up, made the plate to thick. wish my dealer had a tig. that is exactly where mine busted, lookin at that pic i seen a drop of coolant and the bottom of the weld. they put a hole in my cooler when they did mine, had to get that fixed too.....same thing with you?

its a friends..I just knew he did it..and he did it that thick on purpose..to make sure it wouldnt crack out down the road(he has access to all the machinery to do that stuff)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
wow, bgreens fix looks pretty bada**!!!

the best part of that thread is where he mentions something about him being lazy... funny stuff!

If you can do the angle I'd say that's better, but I think the reason we didn't was we would have had to pull the motor, we didn't do that.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
wow, bgreens fix looks pretty bada**!!!

the best part of that thread is where he mentions something about him being lazy... funny stuff!

If you can do the angle I'd say that's better, but I think the reason we didn't was we would have had to pull the motor, we didn't do that.

I think he completely dismantles his sleds after every ride...:peep:..not sure but it sure seems like it..but his stuff rips too....

Premium Features