• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snapped Bolt on Cluch

S
I have a 2010 M8 and i have been hearing alot of people breaking to drive spring in the cluch. so i was changing mine out tonight and i had it all back together and got all the bolts snug then was going back and bumping them a little tighter. so it seems to happen that i snapped one of the bolts off in side there and its stuck inside.it seems like the bolt was weak to me cuz i didnt put that much on it when i was tighting it. so my ? is what to do? how do i get the bolt out so i can get a new one in it?

Last edited:

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Bolt

You might just want to leave it I doubt that it will come apart. You could try a revers drill bit but you also could do more damage than good. The only bad thing is it will not be balanced with out that bolt.

I have a 2010 M8 and i have been hearing alot of people breaking to drive spring in the cluch. so i was changing mine out tonight and i had it all back together and got all the bolts snug then was going back and bumping them a little tighter. so it seems to happen that i snapped one of the bolts off in side there and its stuck inside.it seems like the bolt was weak to me cuz i didnt put that much on it when i was tighting it. so my ? is what to do? how do i get the bolt out so i can get a new one in it?

Depends how deep it broke off i guess.

What i would do first is take all the bolts back out and see if there is enough of the broken bolt sticking out to get a pair of vice grips on the end of the broken bolt.Try backing it out.

Maybe try using 2 pointed picks or screwdrivers and try loosening the bolt out.It shouldn't be in there tight if it broke off. Probably broke cause it got tightened to tight......

If that don't work. Then you might want to try using a small punch. Make a mark in the center of the broken bolt.Then drill it with a small bit or one that you can fit a easy out or some kinda of broken bolt extractor in the hole you drilled. Drill press would be best .

Good luck.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I did the same thing on my 07 M8 clutch. Bolt was broke off about a 1/4" down inside the clutch. So I pulled the cluch and took it to the local machine shop. They charge me $40 and took it out in around 10 min.

Remember they only get set a 12lb.

Jason

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I just broke one also, and I'm taking it to a shop today. Those bolts are weak, and hopefully I can get all six of them in there without breaking anymore. Tim

S
Its broke off about 1/4 inch down in side the cluch and i cant get anything on it. i tried drilling it out but i didnt try very hard cuz i didnt want to make it worse than it already was. i guess i will have to try and take it off and take it somewhere but we really dont have a machine shop here...

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
use a left hand drill bit and the broken bolt will possibly back out as your drilling it...or just don;t worry about it till your riding season is over

M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
use a left hand drill bit and the broken bolt will possibly back out as your drilling it...or just don;t worry about it till your riding season is over

dont run it with a bolt missing, it will be unbalanced and possibly do engine damage, which would likely be severe.

A
Jan 21, 2008
this might be a stupid idea but what if you drilled a small hole in the bolt, tapped it, screwed something else into that hole in the bolt and spin that bot and maybe pull whats left of the snapped off bolt out? never saw it done with on a clutch bolt but i have done it with other things. just an idea, but good luck with it

if i was you and the sled had warrenty i would probably ride it till something breaks and get it done on warrenty haha buts again thats just an idea:face-icon-small-win

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I agree, don't ride it without fixing it because the balance will be off.

If you have a good mechanic nearby they may be able to help you. They deal with this stuff on a regular basis.

I agree, the bolt may not be in there very tight so it may not take that much force to get it back out unless the threads were messed up when the bolt broke off. If the bolt breaking point was in the smooth area of the bolt shaft, then the threads on the clutch should be good.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
All you guys breaking bolts need to buy torque wrenches. The bolts aren't weak, you gorillas just need to learn the proper torque for the bolts, don't forget the locktite either.

Now as far as getting it out get a good set of drill bits and some easy outs and it's a piece of cake.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Use a thin wall tube as a guide to keep your bit centered. It should come out pretty easy. It only cost a few dollars for an easy-out kit and for the clutch bolts you will not need a very big one. A bolt that has bottomed out is another story!

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Been there, done that more than once. A 1/8th easy out should do the trick. If you can't get it, put it back together and ride the rest of the season, then send it to me or the other guy that offered during the off season.

Premium Features