• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 nytro break in period rpm's

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Took out my new sled for the first time today and worked on getting the rings to seat at all rpm's, noticed that at full throttle I was only taching 7600 rpms max. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and see what he thinks but I figured I'd see what yall thought first. Only 14 miles on the sled now, do you think it will allow higher rpm's later in the break in period? Or will clutching changes be my only resolution?
Thanks, Justin

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
if your dealer set clutches to what yamaha recommends in the book for altitude you are way off. rpms will be way below what they should be and it wont get any better after break in. take it back to your dealer they should know how to change it if they actually ride the nytro

Last edited:

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
yes definately will get higher once you get it broke in. Probably should gain about 400 rpms after about 400-500 miles.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Thanks for the reply guys, I saw 8k once today on a flat trail but that's better from yesterday. I have 80 miles on her now and love the chassis just need a bigger track. The clutches have the right springs in them for mountain riding so I won't mess with it until I have a good 4-500 miles on it.
Thanks again, Justin

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i have been through this on the nytro. i can guarantee you the sled will not magically gain 1000 rpm's after it gets broken in. the rpms should be much higher (8800 or so) you need to lighten up the primary weights. tightening up the secondary helps too. with your weight you should also be gearing down the chaincase.

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Plan on gearing down to an 18 tooth when I throw a 162 on it, I'll tighten the secondary. What do you suggest for primary weight? I have no idea what the stock primary weights are set at.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I experienced the same issue when mine was new. I now have around 800 miles and don't think that I gained any RPM after breakin. I bought a clutch kit from Hartman Inc. It was a complete kit including weights, rollers, springs, helix, and top gear. It made a HUGE difference. Now I am between 8500-8800 on a pull up a steep hill.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I experienced the same issue when mine was new. I now have around 800 miles and don't think that I gained any RPM after breakin. I bought a clutch kit from Hartman Inc. It was a complete kit including weights, rollers, springs, helix, and top gear. It made a HUGE difference. Now I am between 8500-8800 on a pull up a steep hill.

This is what i'm planning on doing but I swore I wouldn't put any money into the sled until it was completely paid off at the end of the summer but, I'm thinkin this might be an exception though. :D

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
So an update to an old thread....Looks like I found out what the issue was! After purchasing a custom clutch kit from Hartman and not being able to keep it from burning belts I swapped back to the stock clutching.

I found that the weights are 76g vs. the 66g they should have been stock!

On a side note-Tom Hartman has outstanding customer service. The kit was spot on as far as RPM's I just couldn't keep it from burning belts. I worked with him several times trying to resolve the issue and I'm the only one out of the 100's of kits he sold that even saw a problem burning belts. Great guy and I would do business with him again.

Premium Features