• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Broke in Half!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Pulled the bolt, turned my clutch puller about 4 turns and sheared the clutch in half. Didn't even have to put much pressure on it. I couldn't figure out why my clutching was so bad the last few rides. The outside of the clutch was rubbing against a screw in my side plastic. Now I have to find a way to pull the remaining piece of the clutch off w/o ruining my crank or crank bearing. I tried welding it back on today and got good penetration, but I it just broke again. Polaris won't touch it, I've tried that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P3260249.jpg P3260250.jpg P3260251.jpg P3260252.jpg

G
Nov 24, 2008
your going to have to cut it off ( had one that wouldn't come off before on an old xlt) so i had to cut it off with an angle grinder. Cut the sleave off first so just the stub is on the crank then grind the stub down so it has a flat spot.Then take a cheisl to it and it should split it because it is harden and should just pop off.

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
Same thing here in Saskatchewan on friends 2009 Assault .
Dealer used a small grinder and Zip cut wheel then a cold chisel as stated above. Working carefully a couple of marks were still made in the PTO snout .
New crankshaft was installed [ warranty ] and then loaded in trailer for a 5 day ride in Vale Mount BC. Piston on PTO side detonated and totally lost compression at mile # 6 or 7 or 8 . Back to trailer for spare sled. [ Dragon 800 -155 2009] That sled did run the complete 5 days. Have not herd yet as to why the engine [piston]on the Assault gave trouble. Also prior to clutch trouble the sled destroyed a bunch of 115 Poo belts.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dang!!!

Drill into the cluch at 3 equal points and use a quality 3 hole puller ... (Like a flywheel puller OR make one from a plate of 1/2" steel)

Leave it in the cold overnight and hit it with boiling water if if is resistant.

Good thing it did not break in use... that would have been bad!!

Last edited:
R

rmk_racer

Nov 26, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Had the same thing happen on my 2009 Assault about a month ago. I was riding it when it happened. The clutch spun on the crank and welded itself on there. Was a spendy fix, good luck!

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
revoveal

Its best to just weld the post back on and use the stock puller.

it needs to be welded on fast with at least a 200 amp welder ( NOT a 110 unit. ) and then cool it fast with hot water ( 200 degree water ) then after it is cooled to 200 degrees then have a few buckets of cold water ready.

this fast cooling needs to be done to save the crank and crank seal.

do NOT cool with cold water right away.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Cut the outside clutch almost completely away so you just have the hardened steel. Then use a 3 finger gear puller. I have one if you want to use it.

A torch on what is left of the clutch would probably help. Try to expand the clutch but keep the crank cool. Hopefully that will create enough of a pocket to get it to move.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The trick is to keep the crank/bearing cool. A torch or even welding makes that tough. I put three strong beads (good penetration) on last night and the clutch popped at the welds. I had to wait for it to cool and I'll try again tonight.

If welds don't do it this time then I have to cut into the sheave and get it out of the way before starting on the sleeve of the clutch. This sucks...

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i had that happen on my 900 a few years back... ended up cutting the sheave away down to the steel ring and using a 2 ton 4 finger claw puller that one of my mechanics had built. when it finally popped off it put a dent in the bed of my truck it came off so hard (had the sled in the back of my truck while trying the puller) good luck!

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
removal

There is a local guy here that removes all clutches with a big brass weight it sounds crude but it works

I had an 800 pol with the crank stub inside the clucth because the crank stub broke off ......I used that local guys concept and put the stub on a anvil and hit it with 3 lbs hammer and it jumped right off

its only pressed on there and the bolt just prevents it from jumping off

if it was me I would grind/drill cut off all that aluminun so the steel insert is exposed.......................then I would get two heavy hammers and put one behind the insert and hit the insert with the other hammer all the force will go into the stub end and afteer a few hits it will just jumo off .

This method is very simmilar to removing front end parts if you dont have the pickle fork or proper puller

you will have to hit it like you mean it

good luck

please post what method or combination of methods you used

you will need an extra set of hands to hold the other hammer

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Well, I finally got it off. But I can tell you that with all the pounding and cutting, nothing "jumped" off!

I put welds on twice but that didn't do it. So I cut the aluminum collar off and got down to the clutch "collar". I cut into that with a die grinder but the collar was all the way back almost touching the bearing cover. It didn't break off and had a chewy consistancy to it. A buddy helped me get the last section of and we checked the run out on the crank. Looks good, doesn't look like any crank damage. I'll find out this weekend. I've only ran it in the garage.

wyorider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
3rd one

This is the 3rd one I have seen like this all the same. One on a 2010 assault and one on a 2010 D8. I would say they had a bad batch

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Holy belt slippage.

No doubt. Seriously, what happened there? That is a lot of slippage which equals a lot of heat.
Unfortunately, I think you have something else happening there besides a broken clutch. Whether it is poor alignment or improper clutching for your riding style.
Please let us know your clutch setup.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
No doubt. Seriously, what happened there? That is a lot of slippage which equals a lot of heat.
Unfortunately, I think you have something else happening there besides a broken clutch. Whether it is poor alignment or improper clutching for your riding style.
Please let us know your clutch setup.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the clutch setup. My primary spring was broke though. I wonder if this could have played into the whole issue. Also, this did not fail while I was riding. It happened when I took off the clutch bolt and cranked on my puller.

I've talked to others about this and there are several ways it could have happened. If the clutch had the slightest flaw in it, got hot under load and then had snow hit it from the clutch vent, it could have cracked that way.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
well at least you got it off and the crank is fine hopefully

Id say ****ty clutches flawed form the manufacturing process some how

Iv driven hundreds of miles with a broken primary spring just cause iu had to get home and didnt wat to get towed

hopefuuly it all turns out OK for you

Premium Features