• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how do you remove a spider form a m1000 clutch

I
Jan 13, 2008
I'm sure with all the brilliant wisdom here this group can help me out.
I have a new 3 weight (4 weight went puff) clutch for m1000 and it looks like i need to add a spacer behind the spider for proper belt clearance. So my question is how do you remove the spider and what should the clearance be between the belt and the cutch. I do have a spider socket and that is it for clutch tools. Thanks.

J
Mar 28, 2008
Spider removal

Put that socket on a ratchet and then find yourself a 4 ft long cheater bar. Build yourself a jig to hold that clutch down and start pulling on the cheater.

All in all, better to go buy a new clutch...

I
Jan 13, 2008
Thanks for the help. If I had an Arctic cat good dealer I would just take it to them. Arctic cat has been very hard on the dealers and most of them are gone leaving one I not care for. So I guess this means I’m on my own. I have got good fabrication skills so I should be able to come up with a good holding device. If you have some pic of the holding device I would appreciate it. I did answer my own question about the clearance It is .020” on a new belt. I hope the mtx weights are worth all the hassle.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
use some heat on that spider nut before removing...makes it much easier as that nut has locktight..

H

hardcore2

Feb 26, 2003
Cranbrook BC
Use LOTS of heat . It has to turn fairly easily or you will take the threads off and be buying a new clutch . I think it has to be torqued to 250 ft lbs but not sure of that .

G

GangGreen

Jul 3, 2001
Layton utah
Bolt the holder to your trailer. Just a couple of holes and then you can put some umpf to it. Yes use heat, but you still might strip some threads on spider.

I
Jan 13, 2008
one project done

Thanks for all the help this project is done. This was a lot work on install 2 shims. I had to fabricate 3 tools. One socket for the nut one for the spider and a holding device for the clutch. Here is a good suggestion for those do this project themselves. Use the insert hitch on your pickup for the clutch holding fixture. Just weld the mounting ring (you have made) to a 2 square tube make sure to clear the mounting hub on the clutch. Also here are some pics of the other tools you will need.
P4300152.jpg

P4300153.jpg

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
i'm about to dig into my primary for the first time as well. is there anything you have to do to support the clutch as you crank on that nut? any issues with putting all that torque on the crank?

i might just replace the clutch rather than mess with taking off the spider. any good sources for clutches out there?

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
ebay seesm to always have a new clutch or two forsale at around $300 to $350 CAN... which is a pretty good deal.

Premium Features