• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CLUTCH OUT OF BALANCE???

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Anyone else notice that the primary clutch seems like it wobbles when it's running? Is this normal? I have a friend with an 08 mine is an 09 and they both seem to do it. Seems like it's either out of balance or just egg shaped. Runs fine though.

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Mine is doing the same thing on my 09. It was running bad and it's getting a new crank right now under warranty. I guess a bearing went on it. I will let you know if it the crank is fixed see if it still wobbles.

REKXP

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2009
North Idaho
I think they all probably do that when they are stock. It was one of the first questions I asked. I came from a Polaris that looked perfect as it spun around. I asked the Ski-Doo tech about it and he said it was normal. I swear it looks and feels like it is out of balance but they claim it is fine. I would think all the vibration is going to carry through to the crank bearings causing problems eventually. I am going to take the primary to a machine shop this summer and have it balanced. I am sure it is within specs for Ski-Doo but I want this thing to last. Less vibration should make everything better including belt wear which is really good on mine.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
If was out of balance that bad so you could see it, it would destroy itself. you are seeing it magnified through the motor mounts and the rubber dampener on the outside of the clutch.

REKXP

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2009
North Idaho
Ever see a small block Chevy all balanced and blueprinted? You can stand a nickel on edge on the intake and it won't tip.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
I have had alot of engine troubles with the 08 summmits.The last one made some noise in the pto end while riding.The clutch looked like it was an egg shape.Got it home and the crank seal let go.Checked crank runout .007 this crank is done.Nice part was i had rebuilt the clutch 42 miles before and the shake ruined the spring cover bushing again.What else can i say,no one forced me to buy 4 of them

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Our sleds do it to some degree, even new. Looked at a friends xp and it doesn't, no wobble or shake when running, idle or even revved up a bit. Another friend's doesn't anymore after he got it balanced, on a rev. So I'd say it's not ok, though it seems to be "normal". I plan on getting mine balanced as soon as I can.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Balancing doesn't stop something from wobbleing. It stops it from shaking or vibrating. Trueing it up on a lathe would take out the wobble.

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
my 05 is still perfect. i ride with 3-6 11 etecs on a regular basis and every one of them wobbles at idle including mine. as soon as you give it any gas it goes away. i don't see how its a good thing that it does it though.

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
watch out for people like in the video above not everyone can do what they say and thats one of them had alot of problems after having him balance my motors had to get rebalanced after one blow up cost me alot of money and time just trying to help my fellow sledhead money and time they work hard for

S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
I had perks balance five clutches two years ago 2 on revs 3 xp's and they worked good. sleds ran smooth and almost nothing shook at 2000 rpm. had good luck with his clutch weight bushings in my polaris also.

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
I had perks balance five clutches two years ago 2 on revs 3 xp's and they worked good. sleds ran smooth and almost nothing shook at 2000 rpm. had good luck with his clutch weight bushings in my polaris also.

well his full engine balance cost me a motor and a sled down for a season made the pull rope brake so bad it took crank seal out and lost one of my big bore's and there not cheap to rebuild so then I started asking around on here and everyone was having problems with his stuff my buddy had his 880 done as well and perks rotor broke and shot out of his sled by him well he was riding it, so I had to go get all my motors rebalanced and his stuff wasn't even close to being balanced on my three motors

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Perks clutch balancing is a good thing. Altering the crank dynamics with his engine balance kit is BAD and will destroy a motor

Last edited:
Premium Features