• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

back shift prob on nytro turbo

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
well i have had this prob for a while but cant find anything wrong,it only happens when iam wide open then get off the throttle then back on it,it will not grap the belt untill i get on & off the throttle again so when its steep your stuck.the weird thing is it is intermittent,running a 47% strait cut helix ,Dalton weights at 91gr, alpine black spring wound 0-1 & i think a blue white blue pri spring

S

srxspec

Nov 27, 2007
www.ulmerracing.com
OEM Yammy 47 or aftermarket 47? I have seen some aftermarket helixes the very last little portion of the helix is not machined correctly and will not backshift when wide open and letting off, just as you describe.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I would dare to bet the belt is getting stuck down in the secondary. We run a 47* helix as well so I dont think that is your problem. I do not know how stiff that secondary spring is so, if it's a tight spring, put some more twist in it. If it's not a tight spring, go to the cat sno pro green. It is tight enough at even 0-1 to stop that issue. If not, get some buddies and twist it 1-1.....

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I would dare to bet the belt is getting stuck down in the secondary. We run a 47* helix as well so I dont think that is your problem. I do not know how stiff that secondary spring is so, if it's a tight spring, put some more twist in it. If it's not a tight spring, go to the cat sno pro green. It is tight enough at even 0-1 to stop that issue. If not, get some buddies and twist it 1-1.....

Yeah what he said

I had a similar problem and now have the cat green wound 3-0 and my problem has been solved. Some talk about a purple epi spring but I am not sure which one that is.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
clutching

Had the same problem. I now run Artic Cat green wound 3-3. Prior to that I ran green spring wound 0-3. Both setups work just better back shift with 3-3.
Purple EPI will also work.

Are your cogs in the center of your belt (inside) getting rubbed off ?

M
Jan 14, 2004
My clutch setup is virtually identical to yours and so far I haven't experienced any backshift issues mind you all my parts are brand new and I'm only running the 240 MCX kit. From what I know I believe the Alpine black, Cat green and purple Epi are all pretty well the same spring. What is your gearing? I just went to 19 40 hope to try it out this week.

M5

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Not sure what this means! :face-icon-small-sho

Give Val Simmons a call...

Had this done to my sled it is a profound difference, Yammie clutchs are not built from factory to allw for full shift out....

Send clutch to Val, and Shockwave (if running it) and have him to the Val Magic to it...

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
alpine black is a artic cat purple spring. you can try tighting the preload that will help. i would probaly put a sno pro green in though its stiffer and try 110 degrees preload on it. forget about getting val to cut it, i beleive thats only with the shockwave. hope this helps

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Give Val Simmons a call...

Had this done to my sled it is a profound difference, Yammie clutchs are not built from factory to allw for full shift out....

Send clutch to Val, and Shockwave (if running it) and have him to the Val Magic to it...

I will give Val a call. However the problem I've had in the past is shifing out to far creating poor back shift,(hence needing stiffer spring) and chewing out the center of the belt.

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
alpine black is a artic cat purple spring. you can try tighting the preload that will help. i would probaly put a sno pro green in though its stiffer and try 110 degrees preload on it. forget about getting val to cut it, i beleive thats only with the shockwave. hope this helps

This guy is correct, val only alters the shockwave not the entire clutch. Green cat spring is stiffer than purple epi, purple cat, and red cat. I cat green works great. Have had all 4 springs side by side and compression tested. Green was stiffest.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
This is a long shot but we had a spring start to come out of it's notch and cause some binding which of course kept things from working correctly. It was an easy fix.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
This guy is correct, val only alters the shockwave not the entire clutch. Green cat spring is stiffer than purple epi, purple cat, and red cat. I cat green works great. Have had all 4 springs side by side and compression tested. Green was stiffest.

Well, I sent my clutch in, and he cut it and the Shockwave....So maybe he did something different with mine...but pretty sure this is the norm for him....

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
My clutch setup is virtually identical to yours and so far I haven't experienced any backshift issues mind you all my parts are brand new and I'm only running the 240 MCX kit. From what I know I believe the Alpine black, Cat green and purple Epi are all pretty well the same spring. What is your gearing? I just went to 19 40 hope to try it out this week.

M5

iam running stock gearing, alpine black spring is just a cat purple spring.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Well, I sent my clutch in, and he cut it and the Shockwave....So maybe he did something different with mine...but pretty sure this is the norm for him....

he does that just for the shockwave iam not running a shockwave,shift out isnt a prob mine seems fine just the back shift.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Had the same problem. I now run Artic Cat green wound 3-3. Prior to that I ran green spring wound 0-3. Both setups work just better back shift with 3-3.
Purple EPI will also work.

Are your cogs in the center of your belt (inside) getting rubbed off ?

dont think i have any rubbing i will look again

Premium Features