• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Suggestions to Increase Track Speed 2010 D8 163

Mitch P.

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Snohomish, Wa
Sled runs great, but would like to increase the track speed on it if possible. I am currently running it with an SLP single with HPS can (love the sound) and SLP airhorn kit. Primary is running 68g MTX with 2g in the belly and 1g in the tip with the SLP lt. blue/pink spring. Secondary is stock, as is the gearing. While climbing, my rpms are 8250-8300 max, but will drop 200-250 then jump back up. The rpms keep fluctuating up and down during a climb. The track speed is running 38-40mph on the climbs. What do I need to improve on what I am seeing? Lower gearing? Different helix and or secondary spring? Just looking for advice.
By the way, the sled has been running flawlessly for me except for loosing power on one cyl Sunday. Thought it fouled a plug, but when I lifted the hood, one of the plug caps had fallen off. I put it back on and sled ran terrible! I changed both plugs and it still ran like crap, but better than before. After about five mins of riding it cleared up and ran great the rest of the day.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
This worked great for me, 30 mph track speed increase. EW

Picture147.jpg

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
that is awsome i needed a good laugh :face-icon-small-hap
thanks

as to clutching it seems like a secondary issue a stiffer sec. spring would help the back shift when climbing but affects up shift its a fine line to get it so it does it ALL good i'm sure some folks will give you some good ideas my set up works great for me but its for an edge :face-icon-small-dis
good luck

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
What do I need to improve on what I am seeing? Lower gearing? Different helix and or secondary spring? Just looking for advice.

Seriously, a drop n roll might be a great benefit to open up some tunnel clearance and reduce parasitic drag. Keeping a tight track will reduce track rise/creep and also reduce drag.

There are several opinions on rear skid setups and arm/axle placements that can reduce trenching and approach angle of the track resulting in getting up on the snow rather than chewing through it. There used to be a video on the Timbersleds web site that showed the basic principles of this and coupling. Might be worth a quick search. Good luck. EW

EDIT: Found this htread in "Increasing Your IQ" good stuff. CLICKY

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
a fresh secondary spring will help as will at least 1 delrin washer(I use 3..works great for me)...also gearing down helps too(19/42 is what I run)..mine gets a consistent 45 mph turning a 163 camo extreme 2.5 track... be careful with any sec spring other then polaris/team black/purple(stock spring), it matches up very good force wise to the 115 belt and its hard to get another spring to work better without a lot of dialing....steeper initial helix angle helps also....

Mitch P.

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Snohomish, Wa
a fresh secondary spring will help as will at least 1 delrin washer(I use 3..works great for me)...also gearing down helps too(19/42 is what I run)..mine gets a consistent 45 mph turning a 163 camo extreme 2.5 track... be careful with any sec spring other then polaris/team black/purple(stock spring), it matches up very good force wise to the 115 belt and its hard to get another spring to work better without a lot of dialing....steeper initial helix angle helps also....

Secondary spring should still be good to go. Due to work and lack of a normal winter in the northwest, I only have two good rides on this setup. Already have the Delrins, but they are not in the clutch yet. Getting the track speed in the mid 40's would be good for now.

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
My dealer went with 19-45 gearing with both his 155 and 163 demos. This seems a little drastic to me, but they are both very happy and say that they are pulling amazing track speed. If I remember right, they are running SLP green pink primaryw/ 64 g weights, 58/38 helix w/ stock spring. SLP single w/ PC5.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I would certainly consider gearing down to at least 19/42. Sounds like you could go with a slightly shallower finish rate helix or just go 1 step stiffer on the secondary spring. Black/White 160/260.
Almost sounds like your secondary can't decide what to do? Hard to say what is really happening without riding it though. Your secondary seems like it isn't keeping up with what your primary is trying to do making me think you need more side force at full shift.
What altitude are you at?

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
had the same problem, went with 19-42 gearing, slp green/pink spring, 10-60 weights, carls 60-40 helix, stock secondary spring 2 delrihns, buds is stock gearing with 62-42 helix, 10-64 weights, both sleds run 42 mph track speed and 8100 rpm, both are 08 d8 with 10 updates, not all these sleds react the same, but they all like a steep helix it seems

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
had the same problem, went with 19-42 gearing, slp green/pink spring, 10-60 weights, carls 60-40 helix, stock secondary spring 2 delrihns, buds is stock gearing with 62-42 helix, 10-64 weights, both sleds run 42 mph track speed and 8100 rpm, both are 08 d8 with 10 updates, not all these sleds react the same, but they all like a steep helix it seems

DING DING DING...we have a winner. Carls or Fastrax Helix, stock sec spring and some delrins and you will no longer have those fluctuating R's in the deep but you will have a smile.

Add a PCV if you can't afford EW's fix.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
Sled runs great, but would like to increase the track speed on it if possible. I am currently running it with an SLP single with HPS can (love the sound) and SLP airhorn kit. Primary is running 68g MTX with 2g in the belly and 1g in the tip with the SLP lt. blue/pink spring. Secondary is stock, as is the gearing. While climbing, my rpms are 8250-8300 max, but will drop 200-250 then jump back up. The rpms keep fluctuating up and down during a climb. The track speed is running 38-40mph on the climbs. What do I need to improve on what I am seeing? Lower gearing? Different helix and or secondary spring? Just looking for advice.
By the way, the sled has been running flawlessly for me except for loosing power on one cyl Sunday. Thought it fouled a plug, but when I lifted the hood, one of the plug caps had fallen off. I put it back on and sled ran terrible! I changed both plugs and it still ran like crap, but better than before. After about five mins of riding it cleared up and ran great the rest of the day.

64-40-46 helix black/purple in the driven, in the drive clutch 60 gram polaris wt and a green/pink slp spring pluss 19-42gear you will get 42 to 45 track speed

Premium Features