• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Isn't anyone else freaked out by the cast bulkhead on the pro rmk??

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
This isn't some cross post intended to rile up the poo loyal.

I was 99.9% ready to switch over for 11, then I took a closer look at the bulkhead... Do you guys really think that cast bulkhead is going to make it past the first set of A arms??

I'd love to switch, not cause I don't like my M, but because I'm bored & want a change. It looks like a killer sled, but I break sh**, like.. a LOT, so I need a sled that I'm not going to have to worry about stuff snapping other than the things that should like A arms, and maybe some rear suspension parts here & there. I won't ride a pos XP because I see what they do to themselves when they get a good look at a rock, they wad up.

Can someone tell me they have a honest reason to believe that these are going to be more durable than the front end on a rush??

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
cast bulkhead

All the front suspension parts (tie rods, radius rods, shocks) on an edge chassis hooked up to a cast piece in the front of the bulkhead and I haven't broken one of those yet. I have broke everything else a time or two. I realize it isn't a arms but it is stress none the less. It will be interesting to see if they hold up or not.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This is the same cast bulkhead that is/was used in the RUSH...

I've seen a couple of those wrapped around trees that hit on the trail at 30mph... lots of other damage.. but not the bulkhead... this is one part where technology is a plus.

I saw one RUSH, back in michigan at Christmas... clipped a 5" tree and sheered off the right side a arms and broke the side panel plus bent the stirrup a bit... The bulkhead was fine there as well.

This is the same bulkhead intended for the Sno-X racers next season... (look for the debut at Haydays).

Am I saying that it is indestructable... NO... There are people out there that can break an anvil.

If you do damage the bulkhead... you can easily replace the broken part alone... no need to buy the whole chassis. You can buy just the half that you need... and the parts are very reasonable in cost (Less than $100 per half... eg #14 in the dwg, #7 is $21)

Cast bulkhead assy (RUSH shown)

10PR.gif

Life is good!

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
lightweight doos and poos are the way to go now.time to step up and
trade in those old tanks:)and ride with full coverage.:beer;

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
This is the same cast bulkhead that is/was used in the RUSH...

I've seen a couple of those wrapped around trees that hit on the trail at 30mph... lots of other damage.. but not the bulkhead... this is one part where technology is a plus.

I saw one RUSH, back in michigan at Christmas... clipped a 5" tree and sheered off the right side a arms and broke the side panel plus bent the stirrup a bit... The bulkhead was fine there as well.

This is the same bulkhead intended for the Sno-X racers next season... (look for the debut at Haydays).

Am I saying that it is indestructable... NO... There are people out there that can break an anvil.

If you do damage the bulkhead... you can easily replace the broken part alone... no need to buy the whole chassis. You can buy just the half that you need... and the parts are very reasonable in cost (Less than $100 per half... eg #14 in the dwg, #7 is $21)

Cast bulkhead assy (RUSH shown)

10PR.gif

Life is good!

MH do you know if there is a cooler in the bulkhead of the regular 2011 rmk and I was told there is not one in the PRO-RMK 2011, also what would it cost to update a regular rmk shocks to the walkers that are on the pro-rmk. Thanks

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The tabs that hold on the a arms just look REALLY suspect to me. I've seen a rush here in co that broke one of the cast pieces with very little impact.

I really want to be convinced that it's worth the change, the 800 motor issues I can deal with as long as they're covered, but I can't deal with crap that breaks too easy.

btw, snowmobiler... my sub 420 lb 1000 is the future, screw these little sally motors... you need a turbo to even make them go!!!

I'm ok with going to boost on my main sled, so I'm considering the 800's for next year, our RG hcr has been very reliable at 12-15psi, so I'm not too biased toward the 1000 for the next sled.

So you say they're reasonably priced, but how much work is it to get to them, wouldn't you have to pull the motor to replace even one side, or am I off on that? I haven't wrenched on a rush at all.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Probably an 8 hour job..

I would imagine that If you hit something in just the right way that you could break anything....

My point was that in the Rush wrecks that I've seen or had pics of... the hit is what I would consider catastrophic to start with.

To see a complete A arm assy sheer off (including the Tie rod) and not damage the bulkhead is the flip side to your point.

IMO... this will be a VERY robust unit.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
MH do you know if there is a cooler in the bulkhead of the regular 2011 rmk and I was told there is not one in the PRO-RMK 2011, also what would it cost to update a regular rmk shocks to the walkers that are on the pro-rmk. Thanks

Yes, the std RMK in the new chassis has a front tunnel/bulkhead heat exchanger. No cooler for the PRO-RMK.

If you are thinking of going with the upgraded shocks... IMO.... the Pro package gives you this value... best to buy the Pro.

Premium Features