• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M1000 with MDS weights WOW!!!

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
I recently purchased MDS weights for 09 M1000. I have BDX 55/65 gears and I am running the polaris gold spring. I cannot believe how hard this sled pulls.

I am currently running 94.4 gram weights and still getting 7700 or at times higher RPMs. I can't imagine how hard this thing is going to pull when I get it weighted down and dailed in.

This sled is almost stock except y-pipe and silencer. I am at low elevation and can't wait to get this sled to the mountains. I am coming off a 07 M1000 and these two sleds are not even comparable with this set up.

I am curious to see if anyone else is running this set up and how much weight they have to throw at this set up to pull it down into the 7400 range. I think I could go with more gear with these weights. Sled will pull skis until it runs out of gear.

Hats off to MDS I am one happy customer.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Unless there's something I'm missing you want to be well under 7400, the curve falls off fast after 7300. The highest I ever want to see on a stock pipe is 7350. I would not be happy with my sled revving to 7700. Peak is 7200-7250 with a preference for lower rather than higher. (higher feels "better" on the butt dyno, but it's not a winner)

Check back with us when you've got the sled running proper R's, one of the big things I worry about with different weight is the ability to hold the sled at proper R's without a bunch of rpm drift.

Last edited:

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
mds

Unless there's something I'm missing you want to be well under 7400, the curve falls off fast after 7300. The highest I ever want to see on a stock pipe is 7350. I would not be happy with my sled revving to 7700. Peak is 7200-7250 with a preference for lower rather than higher. (higher feels "better" on the butt dyno, but it's not a winner)

Check back with us when you've got the sled running proper R's, one of the big things I worry about with different weight is the ability to hold the sled at proper R's without a bunch of rpm drift.

im running them in a ported and pipe 09 m1000. 90 grams at 4500ft 7700/ 7600 all day long these weights .back shift very well and hold the rpm, i just dont like the engagement hits hard with the stock spring. overall very happy with the weights.

M
Nov 16, 2009
I recently purchased MDS weights for 09 M1000. I have BDX 55/65 gears and I am running the polaris gold spring. I cannot believe how hard this sled pulls.

I am currently running 94.4 gram weights and still getting 7700 or at times higher RPMs. I can't imagine how hard this thing is going to pull when I get it weighted down and dailed in.

This sled is almost stock except y-pipe and silencer. I am at low elevation and can't wait to get this sled to the mountains. I am coming off a 07 M1000 and these two sleds are not even comparable with this set up.

I am curious to see if anyone else is running this set up and how much weight they have to throw at this set up to pull it down into the 7400 range. I think I could go with more gear with these weights. Sled will pull skis until it runs out of gear.

Hats off to MDS I am one happy customer.

Interesting... how's your belt heat? I run 86 gms with a 46/40 helix. Keeps my rev's down and works well in all configurations on my 08 m1000. Yellow/white primary spring, and ride 3000 to 6500'. :face-icon-small-coo

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
im running them in a ported and pipe 09 m1000. 90 grams at 4500ft 7700/ 7600 all day long these weights .back shift very well and hold the rpm, i just dont like the engagement hits hard with the stock spring. overall very happy with the weights.

Do the weights swing freely, a friend of mine has a 2010 m8 and it was hitting hard. I backed off the weight bolt nut and put on another nut to lock it, it now engages very smooth and pulls much smoother through the range.

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
I wouldn't say the weights in my 2010 M8 swing freely, but they definitely don't hit hard. My engagement has been pretty smooth since I changed to springs with initial rates around 120. Near as I can tell, the nuts tighten up when they run out of thread on the bolts. Once tight, I can still move them by hand so there's no problem moving them at 4100-4200 rpm. Do you have any concerns about that extra nut throwing the clutch out of balance?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
If you weighed each of your weights there would be more difference than three of the same nuts in the same place. I made them so if you lift your weights up and let go they fall back down on there own. I can't remember what the engagement rpm is but I think its under 4000rpm and still has the stock spring in it. I know he loves it in the trees now, before he was getting stuck more than he should have.

J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
so are the weights supposed to swing freely, i can move mine by hand pretty easily but they don't just swing, I always wondered about that.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
I know the target RPMs are suppose to be 7200 to 7400. The point I was making was I keep throwing weight at this sled and it continues to pull the weight. This sled pulls hard from the moment I crack the throttle until it runs out of gear. I can let off the throttle, get right back into it and the power is still there with no lag or what some would call a bog.

As stated in the first post I will report back when I get sled weighted to full potential and dailed in. My belt heat seems same or even less. I feel there is less slippage so this should reduce the heat.

I have never had adjustable weights and really like the ability to change up or down to dail it in. I know they cost more up front but I was going broke buying the factory weights.

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
mds

Do the weights swing freely, a friend of mine has a 2010 m8 and it was hitting hard. I backed off the weight bolt nut and put on another nut to lock it, it now engages very smooth and pulls much smoother through the range.

weights do swing freely. put a 105 pnd spring in and engaement was smooth, but loaded motor to hard after that and poor backshift, stock yellow/ white with back shift and upshift is great, just the engagement, its hitting at 4600 rpm with stock spring. 4000 rpm with 105 pnd spring, its a new 08 clutch and the spider clearance is less than the 09, maybe hanging up in there. ive already ground some of it out. trying 09 clutch next.

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
I'm surprised 90g weight with yellow/white engages that high. My 2010 with stock 68g weight and yellow/white would engage around 4300 rpm. I've now got 78g of MDS weights with Speedwerx 125/340 spring and it engages silky smooth around 4100 rpm. I can walk beside it. Love it!

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Moving Freely

My 08 M1000 weights did not move freely either; I could never get it to backshift properly. I made shims out of 0.050" washers and installed them under the nuts. They now move freely and the clutch has never backshifted better.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
My 08 M1000 weights did not move freely either; I could never get it to backshift properly. I made shims out of 0.050" washers and installed them under the nuts. They now move freely and the clutch has never backshifted better.

I couldn't find a tight enough washer.

If it engaging higher and harder with the heavy weights put a 60 thou shim under the spider you will like it

thats just going to space out the clutch sheeves letting it slam into the belt, or am I missing something.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
There is a web site, They are almost like a mtx weight but you don't have to space the spider and instead of rivets they use screws and a plate if needed. The weight is in the heal and the center of the ramp.

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
mds

I couldn't find a tight enough washer.

thats just going to space out the clutch sheeves letting it slam into the belt, or am I missing something.

does not effect sheave clearance just moves roller out away from weight. something i may try after this wekend.

Premium Features