• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cutler secondary kit

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
How does everyone like this kit? Does it work in reverse and how well? I have an RKT kit and like everything about it except reverse. May well be my fault but I can't get it to work. Not interested in a pissing match here just info on Cutler.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
How does everyone like this kit? Does it work in reverse and how well? I have an RKT kit and like everything about it except reverse. May well be my fault but I can't get it to work. Not interested in a pissing match here just info on Cutler.

I have the Cutler kit on my 08 M1k and it works awesome,no complaints at all.I have a friend with an 09 M1k and he went with the RKT kit.We have had nothing but problems getting reverse to work properly.We added one extra shim,same issues so we kept adding shims one at a time,got up to three and still did not work properly in reverse,worked awsome going forward though.
Well for this season we installed the Cutler kit on his 09 and this kit works awesome,its goes into reverse everytime and works excellent going forward.
Cultler does advertise that they have the only torsional kit on the market that works in reverse,not sure if that is true as we have not tryed all of them,but can tell you it works all the time on my friends.He is very happy with it.

Dave

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Do you have the newest RKT clutch kit, with the quick adjust cover? I am curious because I was considering buying the RKT kit, but I have to have a kit that will work with engine reverse.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I've run both kits and the cutler kit is a better kit. There's no drilling the secondary, Cutler replaces your rollers and gets rid of the PITA roller pins. The Cutler a much nicer setup and if I remember right, the cutler was less expensive.

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
Do you have the newest RKT clutch kit, with the quick adjust cover? I am curious because I was considering buying the RKT kit, but I have to have a kit that will work with engine reverse.

I have both kits. The early version went into reverse about 60-70 % of the time. The latest has worked only once in 20 attempts. I just recieved the second spring that I a told will help.:face-icon-small-dis

As stated it could well be me I guess and I have never had a problem with RK tech or Kelsey.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
RKTs kit is cheaper ($30-40, if I remember right) and includes Rock Rollers, but I don't think it gets rid of the PITA roller pins.

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
I should add that the RKT clutch kit up shifts and back shifts great. It pulls hard and I have no complaints except the reverse. I'll try again Sunday.

Dec 22, 2009

have this kit. only way to get reverse to work is to have the belt deflection as tight as possible..this gets the reverse hook to connect most of the time. even on a used belt I have to have the deflection so tight it is squealing. the helix or hook is not quite machined correct it seems. going to try adding some shims under helix as don't want to buy another kit. may end up buying the cutler kit next year. have emailed RK tech and they try to help but don't admit something is wrong...and don't have a good set up for belt deflection adjustment on the 2010.

M

mgcm1000

Mar 6, 2009
West Bountiful,Utah
Have the Cutler on my 08 M1000 and RK on wifes 07 M8. Both work awesome in forward and reverse. Had the Cutler on for 700 miles now with no problems. Difference from stock is amazing!!

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
Well I put the old style helix back in with the new second spring. Sled was used in reverse without a failure. :face-icon-small-sho Now thats more like it!!:face-icon-small-hap Did find out that one of the rollers was not making contact with the helix thoughout the clutch's travel. May well have caused the problem. Sending it to Kelsey so he can check it out.

Premium Features