• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RPM Help!

dyrengd

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
Does anyone have any idea why my 2003 600 mountain cat would be taching at 7800 RPM then seem to back down to 7200 RPM just as I need the power when i'm climbing. This has happened the last two rides. Any help would be great.

mp_2009

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Great Falls MT
my king cat did the same thing this weekend would start out strong and lose rpm what was the temp where you were riding? it was 45+ where i was at

mp_2009

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Great Falls MT
the only thing that i have really been told is that the clutches and belt got to hot and i have also been told it could be the pipe i run slp twins and a guy said he got rid of his slp pipe and the problem was gone and the last thing i was told was the power valves need adjusting or cleaned thats all i have learned so far

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Alot of it could be clutching. Have you replaced your springs lately? Like in the last season. I dont know about the 600s but the 900s are tough on springs. I replace mine every season. Hows the rollers in your secondary. You might not be getting fast enough back shift. Either more spring or less helix will help.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Look carefully at the weights and the rollers in your primary clutch. If the weights are not running straight on the rollers it means the bushing in the weight is worn and possibly the pin too. If they run that way too long it will also ruin the roller and the washers on the sides of the rollers. It could lead to a flat spot on the weights too. If it goes too far you're better off with a new clutch.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Also at 45 deg. and high altitude your power is way down. Could be on the edge for the clutches to keep up the RPM's at that temp. But I would certainly do what the others have recommended!

Mike

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Clutching, with the momentum as you get going the clutching works, but as it levels off the secondary keeps trying to engage farther not letting it backshift. You can drop weight or stiffen the secondary spring. But I would bet if you put new spring in it would be gone, I have seen loses in spring rate in less than 500 miles, so if a new primary spring is stiffer than the one your running it would be just like dropping weight and same effect in the secondary.

dyrengd

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the clutch and it is in definate need of attention. The sled has not had an easy life. It is primarily a lion hunting sled, buddy play sled, and a backup to my polaris. Anyway, with a little work on the clutch I should be back up and running stong.

Premium Features