• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 Dragon 700 Stator Failure????

M

MTN Tamer

Apr 26, 2009
Hi all, I've got a little issue that I could use some polaris guru insight into. I'm new to polaris, I bought an 07 D7 for a backup and for my girlfriend to ride, it has been a great slead overall this season. My issue is that currently when I start the sled to warm up, it idles poorly, sounds like it is an old diesel with a governor that is hunting. The guages will not come on until I rev it up over 3500 rpm's, and the headlight only works on one setting, and when it is on the guages will not come on at all. Also when I start her up it can vary from one to five pulls and will rev slightly and then die without warning if it is left at idle. I am suspicious that a weak stator on the way out could be the issue, just wondering if anyone agrees with that or has any other insight? Also the sled has 5400 miles on original motor, that the previous owner said he had not done any work to. So far I've just been doing maintanance like new plugs, chain, clean and check exhaust valves and solenoid, things like that. Thanks for looking guys.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
DRAGON 700

What's the voltage showing on the dash??????

Could be the stator

Also, I'd check the T.P.S.

Dirt in the throttle bodies???

Check out the TECH TIPS for 600/700/800 thread under "INCREASING YOUR IQ" at the top.

I have a 2007 D7, 3700 trouble-free miles, my bud's 2007 D7, 2500 trouble free miles

Hope this helps.

Hi all, I've got a little issue that I could use some polaris guru insight into. I'm new to polaris, I bought an 07 D7 for a backup and for my girlfriend to ride, it has been a great slead overall this season. My issue is that currently when I start the sled to warm up, it idles poorly, sounds like it is an old diesel with a governor that is hunting. The guages will not come on until I rev it up over 3500 rpm's, and the headlight only works on one setting, and when it is on the guages will not come on at all. Also when I start her up it can vary from one to five pulls and will rev slightly and then die without warning if it is left at idle. I am suspicious that a weak stator on the way out could be the issue, just wondering if anyone agrees with that or has any other insight? Also the sled has 5400 miles on original motor, that the previous owner said he had not done any work to. So far I've just been doing maintanance like new plugs, chain, clean and check exhaust valves and solenoid, things like that. Thanks for looking guys.

M

MTN Tamer

Apr 26, 2009
The voltage guage on the right side of the guage cluster shows probably 2 bars at the bottom of the range when the guages first power up at about 3500 rpm, It will increase to the top of it's range when I increase engine speed into the 5000 rpm range.

M

MTN Tamer

Apr 26, 2009
Kraven, you can scratch my last post, today I tested the run relay and the capasitor, and they both appear to be working just fine. I also unplugged everything to the handlebars except the kill switch wires to check for electrical shorts, and found absolutely no difference. I carefully looked over all the wiring for any spots that could have rubbed through and cleaned up the frame ground. The last few times I started it up I had to rev it up to approx 5000 rpm to get the guages to come on. This just feels like the charging system slowly crapping out, just wondering if I've got it narrowed down to the stator or not? Any more insight would be much appriciated. Thanks.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
700 stator

I would then lean towards the stator

Kraven, you can scratch my last post, today I tested the run relay and the capasitor, and they both appear to be working just fine. I also unplugged everything to the handlebars except the kill switch wires to check for electrical shorts, and found absolutely no difference. I carefully looked over all the wiring for any spots that could have rubbed through and cleaned up the frame ground. The last few times I started it up I had to rev it up to approx 5000 rpm to get the guages to come on. This just feels like the charging system slowly crapping out, just wondering if I've got it narrowed down to the stator or not? Any more insight would be much appriciated. Thanks.

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Kraven, check your stator with an Ohmmeter if you can and make sure all the wires measure the same in case a winding might be open and the voltage on AC should read between 10 and 14 depending how many RPM's you are running. I can't remember the resistance between each wire but .13 ohms keeps coming to mind. Good luck!

M

MTN Tamer

Apr 26, 2009
Hey LOG, thanks for the suggestion. Like I said before I'm new to polaris, are the stator wires the 3 large yellow ones coming directly to the regulator? If so could you explain to me in laymans terms how to go about preforming the tests you suggested, so I don't cause myself more electrical issues than I have currently. Thanks very much. Bill

M

MTN Tamer

Apr 26, 2009
Hey guys, I just came in from testing my stator, tell me if I'm on the right track. I now can only get the sled to start and idle, if I try to speed it up it will bog and die. I started it, let it idle, and checked with a multimeter in the back of the 3 yellow wire connection coming from the stator to the voltage regulator. I tested on AC, and found 2 of the 3 wires showed only 1.8 and 1.6 volts, I assume this means the stator is screwed. Confirmation anyone? Thanks again.

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Looks like you are on the right track. Unplug the stator plug to the VR( three yellow wires) and do a resistance check. Any combination of the three yellow wires should read the same resistance. If there are any of the two that don't read or read a high resistance that should be the problem of your low voltage. Also to the front of the clutch cover there are a couple of plugs that are not connected to anything, grab the white one that has a red wire with a white stripe and brown wire going to it. Check it, see if the voltage there is at least 13 volts DC. One thing that I would recommend is that you put a ground wire from the engine to the frame right behind the clutch cover, also to the plate that has the VR, ECU, capacitor, and coils on it. You will see where all the harness ground wires are bolted to the frame, don't know if it helps, but definitely doesn't hurt.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
STATOR TESTING SPECS 2007 700 & 600 CFI

MTN TMR,

Hope this helps to diagnose your problem

Test the wires coming from the stator (+/- 15% at 20* C) w/sled cold, then repeat when warm:

2007 600cfi/700 CFI:

1) YELLOW to YELLOW 0.13 OHMS

2) GREEN/RED to GREEN/YELLOW 15 OHMS

3) GREEN/RED to BROWN/WHITE 30 ohms

4) BLUE/YELLOW to BLUE/YELLOW 2.4 ohms

5) WHITE/RED to WHITE 190 ohms

6) WHITE/GREEN to GREEN 190 ohms

7) BROWN /WHITE to GROUND 0 ohms

8) BROWN to GROUND 0 ohms

For the 2008 600cfi/700/800 CFI's

1) YELLOW to YELLOW 0.13 OHMS

2) DARK GREEN/RED to GREEN/YELLOW 15 OHMS

3) DARK GREEN/RED to BROWN/WHITE 30 ohms

4) DARK BLUE/YELLOW to BLUE/YELLOW 2.4 ohms

5) WHITE/RED to WHITE 190 ohms

6) WHITE/DARK GREEN to DARK GREEN 190 ohms

7) BROWN /WHITE to GROUND 0 ohms

8) BROWN to GROUND 0 ohms

+/- 15% at 20* C

Looks like you are on the right track. Unplug the stator plug to the VR( three yellow wires) and do a resistance check. Any combination of the three yellow wires should read the same resistance. If there are any of the two that don't read or read a high resistance that should be the problem of your low voltage. Also to the front of the clutch cover there are a couple of plugs that are not connected to anything, grab the white one that has a red wire with a white stripe and brown wire going to it. Check it, see if the voltage there is at least 13 volts DC. One thing that I would recommend is that you put a ground wire from the engine to the frame right behind the clutch cover, also to the plate that has the VR, ECU, capacitor, and coils on it. You will see where all the harness ground wires are bolted to the frame, don't know if it helps, but definitely doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
Premium Features