• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shockwave Adj. Helix...Get you one!!!

S

Skidooer

Oct 10, 2001
Buy one, LEARN to use it...Never buy another "clutch kit". It's the best way to get the most out of your sled...Period!!!

Had one on an 08XP rode it twice, Rode 09 stock last year. Have had shockwave on 09 this year. If you take the time to adjust it for current conditions...its like adding 25hp.

Jul 22, 2008
Just make sure you are prepared to grind out the secondary clutch so the pins dont rub and bind the shift past 3/4! Also make sure you dont wind it more than 3.5 turns from all the way in or it wont get full shift out as well. Once you address these flaws it works great!

S

Skidooer

Oct 10, 2001
I have never had those issues. Maybe you had and early build or some other bad luck. To have that much adjustment within seconds is like magic to the sleds set up.

Jul 22, 2008
Had an early one, they replaced it with an updated one including new wider ramps. Take a look at your helix and you will see rub marks on the posts opposite of the ramps where it binds up. The easiest way is to remove the secondary spring and cycle the helix...you will feel it rubbing. I have seen 10 out of 10 do this now, I dont even istall one without checking clearance now, the 1200 turbos will cut the secondary in half when it binds! I will take a picture when I am at work this week.

T

tinman800

Dec 16, 2007
Just make sure you are prepared to grind out the secondary clutch so the pins dont rub and bind the shift past 3/4! Also make sure you dont wind it more than 3.5 turns from all the way in or it wont get full shift out as well. Once you address these flaws it works great!

so what is the fix for getting it to full shift when is dialed in past 3.5 turns?

Oct 14, 2008
Eureka, Montana
Primary!

Just remember the primary still drives the sled, the seconary is just along for the ride, there are a lot of gains to be made in the TRA 7 primary before you start messin with the secondary, plus Joe and Winter Brew's helixes are a better fix for mountain riding!

Jul 22, 2008
so what is the fix for getting it to full shift when is dialed in past 3.5 turns?

different ramps, or smaller rollers, neither of which are made. The tech guy at shockwave told me that this is a known fact and it is this way because skidoo clutches arent "designed" to shift out all the way!! LMAO!
This being said the skidoo 32-58 adjustable helis is actually only good for 44.25* and up. (3.5x3.5=12.25+32=44.25) unless you dont want to achieve full shift on the secondary.
I run 20/51 gearing so I use all the gear I have on the trail up the hill 135k/hr is on the limiter.

S

Skidooer

Oct 10, 2001
the primary still drives the sled, the seconary is just along for the ride, Joe and Winter Brew's helixes are a better fix for mountain riding!

The secondary IS dominate over the primary

Those guys helixes can not adjust for conditions. A fixed helix can never be perfect at 10,000' under heavy load and also perfect at 6,500' in a light load. The clutches are seeing different conditions and benefit from being able to adjust to each.

Those clutch tuners understand clutching and know this to be true. They can give you a great set up for one condition, a different condition, or something in the middle that works good...but not ideal for all conditions as an adjustable helix will provide.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
imy shockwave has been working well for me also, like the adjustability, leave my primary on #3 and adjust my shockwave to keep my rpm in check in different snow conditions. i find it pulls hard when in the right angle.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The secondary IS dominate over the primary

Those guys helixes can not adjust for conditions. A fixed helix can never be perfect at 10,000' under heavy load and also perfect at 6,500' in a light load. The clutches are seeing different conditions and benefit from being able to adjust to each.

Those clutch tuners understand clutching and know this to be true. They can give you a great set up for one condition, a different condition, or something in the middle that works good...but not ideal for all conditions as an adjustable helix will provide.

Not necessarily true :face-icon-small-win. We are a shockwave dealer and have sold many of them. They have their place but being stuck with a straight or almost straight angle is a huge compromise unless you want to adjust angles between every hill and flat to have both a good solid launch (steeper angle) and hold RPM with solid backshift on the hill (shallower angle) which happens hundred of times in a days ride....this is where (IMHO) a progressive helix combined with a ramp angle and spring package can give you the best of both worlds with no adjustment necessary.
When I recently spent alot of time trying literally 40-50 setups for the 860 I TRIED to make a shockwave work to my satisfaction.....couldn't do it. I'm NOT SAYING it's a bad way to go....just saying it is a compromise for the guy who wants the whole package of strong launch, holding RPM on the deep hills and full shift ability.
It is true that a fixed helix is not going to allow using the same setup at 3,000ft as at 12,000 ft (for example).....but for the amount of elevation swing most guys ride, a simple clicker adjustment or at worst a pin weight change is all that is necessary for swings over 6,000ft.
The Shockwave is a great way to go for some guys....if it works for you that is what matters! But it is not true that a fixed helix will not work in varied conditions...my sled runs 8200 RPM (almost spot-on!) whether on a groomed hardpack road or in 2 ft of heavy wet snow climbing with NO changes and still achieves full shift. JMHO :face-icon-small-hap

C
Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
What is your setup for your 860? What spring in the primary, weight etc and what helix are you running in the secondary? What elevations are you riding. Sounds like you have a great setup. Would love to try it. Thanks

N
Jan 21, 2008
Had an early one, they replaced it with an updated one including new wider ramps. Take a look at your helix and you will see rub marks on the posts opposite of the ramps where it binds up. The easiest way is to remove the secondary spring and cycle the helix...you will feel it rubbing. I have seen 10 out of 10 do this now, I dont even istall one without checking clearance now, the 1200 turbos will cut the secondary in half when it binds! I will take a picture when I am at work this week.

Have you take pics off shockwave?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Buy one, LEARN to use it...Never buy another "clutch kit". It's the best way to get the most out of your sled...Period!!!

Had one on an 08XP rode it twice, Rode 09 stock last year. Have had shockwave on 09 this year. If you take the time to adjust it for current conditions...its like adding 25hp.

Have one for sell off a 2010 summit.The whole QRS with shockwave installed .New.559-392-1182

Premium Features