• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M1000 Blew belt with 300 Miles on sled

M
Nov 26, 2007
Buy a clutch alignment tool and check the clutch alignment

also check belt deflection, and track tension.

inspect both of the clutch sheeves for knicks or if they are oily or dirty.
Wash new belt in soap and water.

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
Stock belt ? I switched out to the 043 before i ever rode mine . Were you going wot on a trail when it blew?

Make sure you clean up belt peices very good , i have heard of strings wraping around the crank snout , and taking out the seal.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
more weight for the 046, I've had far better luck with the 060, never had one blow and 4x the miles. You need extra motor mounts, The AC alignment to is the one to have, use it as a guide and make changes from there.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
ive been using the xs 817 with good luck. sticky like the 060... same cost as the 046 then you should be fine with the clutching you have. just a thought. one fellow had put the same solid mount that is in the pto side mount plate in the top mag side. i looked at my m1 today and also noticed that two mounts have real small tears occuring already at 370 miles. no blown belts yet.

Last edited:
A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
Your belt deflection is off, you can here it squealing in the videos from Cooke City

M
Nov 16, 2009
Wow! u got lucky!! 300 miles? I blew a belt today and its #12 and I have 1000 miles on the same sled.............

Wow is right, I've never heard of enyone blowing that many belts in only 1000 miles. I'd definetly be checking to see what's wrong. I've blown 2 in 2200 miles, and it was basically my fault. I over rev'd it both times, on icy conditions at wot. Belt climbed over the primary and destroyed itself on the towers. The 046 belts are working just fine. I had to add more weight to the primary to bring the rev's down. I've got over 600 miles on the belt i'm using right now. I try to keep my deflection as close to 1 and 1/16" as i can as that has given me my best performance without belt squeal or creep. Maybe you have a broken motor mount? I should mention I run an 08 m1000. With D&D Y pipe, Jaws can, V force reeds and boondocker.
I run between 3000 and 6500 feet elevation. Hope this helps. :face-icon-small-hap

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
damm... blew the xs 817 today. no threads anywhere and hardly any chunks. the belt just seemed like it pulled apart. bent the clutch guard a little but still fits. had to throw the 046 spare on. revved at least 200-300 rpm higher. if i cant get warranty thru carlisles' warranty then i will probably just run the 046.

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
Ive got 900 miles on a dayco xtx right now and it looks perfect. and I ride hard , although I have stopped going wot for long periods now, its just too hard on the track and belt, its a pow sled not a race sled

1 have a M1000 and i was blowing belts every 200 miles. I took the clutch cover and drilled 30 1/4 inch holes in it and installed the side shield vent kit on either side. I currently have 900 miles on the present belt with 2 mountain trips and it still looks new. The clutches need ventilation to stay cool, once you solve that problem your belt will be fine.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
belts

Keep em' cool With SLP vents in the TOWER and drill the guard-
vent the side panel- and get it aligned..
3200 miles on my 07 M1000 and go thru 1 belt a season- and that is just because of thickness- IF YOUR BLOWING BELTS your out of alignment/creating heat..or just abusing AND NEVER LET IT COOL
Belts wear out.. not blow out...
Ya ever open you hood to let some heat out when your BS after a good 3-4 pulls////??? ya should!
your abusing the the belts.... it is a maintainance item that nees to be aligned and adjusted.. unless you like just spending $$$$$

MD

V
Jan 21, 2008
Minot, ND
OK guys was out riding yesterday in 2 feet of powder stopped could of times and noticed that both clutches are burning hot and I can tell this belt if getting ready to blow. Some of the cord is missing I also noticed I am over reving by like 400 rpms and guess thats why I am heating the belts so much due to slipping. Anyways I am waiting for the alignment bar to come in and going to order some CPC adjustable weights. I also already have vent kits in. What else should I look for?

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
Did you wash or break in your new belt?
Make sure to clean your clutches frequently with a scotch brite pad so there is no shine to them.
and also is there any black marks or anything on your clutches and if so where at?

Premium Features