• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FIX FOR WARPED OIL TANK FILLER NECK

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
I was going to change out my oil tank on my M8 due to the heat/warping problem everyone has experienced on the M series sleds.
Just prior to changing, some one on snowest mentioned a sleeve which is made by DAN03REV. I decided to give it a try, and ordered it monday.Recieved it thursday,and took about 5 minutes to install using a heat gun to warm up the neck, installed easy and now the cap sets on correct and seals good. Its an easy fix for about $15.00 . Sorry I cant download a photo.

If you have this problem send dan an email at DAN_03REV@yahoo.com

Hope this helps any one with this problem. RickM

Last edited:
D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
I was going to change out my oil tank on my M8 due to the heat/warping problem everyone has experienced on the M series sleds.
Just prior to changing, some one on snowest mentioned a sleeve which is made by DAN03REV. I decided to give it a try, and ordered it monday.Recieved it thursday,and took about 5 minutes to install using a heat gun to warm up the neck, installed easy and now the cap sets on correct and seals good. Its an easy fix for about $15.00 . Sorry I cant download a photo.

If you have this problem send dan an email at DAN03REV@yahoo.com

Hope this helps any one with this problem. RickM

DAN_03REV@YAHOO.COM is my email .. thank you for the positive feedback ..

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
hey, make sure you guys give credit where credit is due. LOL! i feel no love here. LOL!

i saw people were having issues, went to dano on dootalk, and he had the inserts already for the cats. i brought the info back here, and let him know we were looking for his fix.

it's all good,

people, helping people is what it is all about. ski

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Skidooboyedk

Don't get your panties in a WAD.
The quote from my post is as follows.

" some one on snowest mentioned a sleeve which is made by DAN03REV."
I did not now whom made the origingal discovery or comment, I was just passing it on for information.

If you got your name left out, I am sorry, I give you 100 addaboys for noticing the post as it must have been informational.
make that 200 addaboys to skidooboyedk.RickM

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
lol, no panties in a wad here, just giving you crap. LOL! you have helped me enough for sure rick, was just repaying the debt owed. have to stir up some fun as it is getting slow around here. glad the m guys are kinda sticking around and staying together. ski

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
photo of dans insert for the oil tank

up loaded photo of his tank insert, it is thin wall and has an "O" ring for seal at the top where it presses down on top of the original fill neck, hope the photo come thru OK , Rickm
( he makes these for both skidoo and cat )

dan03rev2009.jpg

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Flange

I would suggest adding the new heat shield for added protection.
I have not added the extra heat shield from the 2010 models. My tank neck warped last year, I purchased a new cap, and later purchased a new tank because the dealer had not heard of any issues. HA,
I was about ready to install the new tank last week when i heard about the insert. I figured for the price of the insert i would give it a try. Last year i wraped my tank with aluminum heat foil, and that seamed to stop any furture warping.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
TYPE #1 -- fitment 2008/current XP chassis
TYPE #2 -- fitment 2003-2007 REV chassis
TYPE #3 -- any 2003/older SKIDOO (ZX, CK, F, and S chassis) and most ARCTIC CAT and POLARIS models

i have been meaning to post up pics of each insert kit ... i sell them as fast as i am getting them made .. didnt realize CAT needed them as much also .. i appreciate all the positive feedback here guys .. receiving a lot of "what a great fix .. thanks a ton" emails daily .. word has been spreading like wildfire .. happy to help you all out ..

WORK HARD -- PLAY HARD :thumb:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
anyone having issues with the cap not fitting after the install of the insert? doesnt seem to thread down as deep, (barely grabs a few threads on the cap) havent rode it but, i dont want a suprize when i open the hood either. the insert is well made and reforms the neck for sure. ski

S

STORMY

Nov 26, 2007
MN
the 010 heat shield does not solve the problem, so this insert will be the ticket

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
the 010 heat shield does not solve the problem, so this insert will be the ticket

What do you mean? Doesn't the heat shield keep the oil tank from melting? Just ordered one for mine and a new oil tank, was hoping the new shield would be a fix for the prob.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
got a look at a new CAT this past weekend .. same melted/warped look i see posted on here .. my TYPE #3 insert is working for many .. working with dealers on East and West coast .. drop me an email if interested .. will reply back with payment info .. i ship within 24hrs .. thanks guys .. DAN

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
My tank is so melted that most of the threads are gone and the cap will not tighten up. I'm guessing that this insert will not fix my problem.

S

STORMY

Nov 26, 2007
MN
What do you mean? Doesn't the heat shield keep the oil tank from melting? Just ordered one for mine and a new oil tank, was hoping the new shield would be a fix for the prob.

I have the heat shield on my 010 and it still got deformed, and no I don't think a neck insert will fix your thread problem 1m800:face-icon-small-dis(not sure if your trying to be a smart azz or not)

Premium Features