• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Gearing for Deep snow 800 dragon?

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
What is the best gearing to go to?

I want to gear it down because i have no need and will never go 80 mph. My top speed i will need is about 65 or so.

I do not know what the stock gearing is (09 800 dragon, and i am new to the sled) But what is the best rout? I would if at all possible, like to use the stock chain.

All the sled has done to it is HPS can, and soon ez-ryde and Pc-5. After i gear it down.....what should i do to my stock clutching? Clutching is still WAY over my head so all i can do is tell you it is stock and it is going to need the primary rebuilt soon, and probably some work done on the secondary.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
What is the best gearing to go to?

I want to gear it down because i have no need and will never go 80 mph. My top speed i will need is about 65 or so.

I do not know what the stock gearing is (09 800 dragon, and i am new to the sled) But what is the best rout? I would if at all possible, like to use the stock chain.

All the sled has done to it is HPS can, and soon ez-ryde and Pc-5. After i gear it down.....what should i do to my stock clutching? Clutching is still WAY over my head so all i can do is tell you it is stock and it is going to need the primary rebuilt soon, and probably some work done on the secondary.

Thanks in advance

Increasing your IQ: Gearing link

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173559&highlight=gearing

I went to a 19/42 stock chain/ changed the bottom gear to a 42 tooth Team gear ordered from WPS. Re-adjusted the tension & tons more bottom end.

Clutching is Ron's 67 gram Big*Torque weights and a light Team Green in the primary and 2 delirins in the secondary.

Good luck on the mods.

akrevrider

H
Dec 7, 2008
Omaha
From what I gather it is going to be difficult to go much lower than 19-46 (72 MPH @ 1:1 and 8050 RPM). With 8% overdrive and 8400 RPM top speed would be around 81 MPH
There are a few people that use an 18 on top, but there are a lot of people that feel it is too small (not enough contact area with the chain)

You could also leave the top gear in and go 20-45, which would be close to 19-43. You would need a new chain and bottom sprocket.

From what I have seen, 19-42 is the most common setup for guys that have changed the gearing; however, going from 19-41 to 19-42 is only about a 2 MPH difference.

Going from 20-41 to 19-41 = about 4 MPH

Last edited:
B

burndown

Nov 26, 2007
Missoula, MT
Your sled (if it's still stock) has 19/41 from the factory. 08s had 20/41 and 09-10s have the 19 top. Biggest you can go with stock chain is 19/42-a 43 will go on after the chain has about 1000 miles on it and is stretched, but it's close. We've custom cut chains with one extra link to fit the 43, but then the tensioner is almost completely maxxed out to get the chain tension correct. The 42 bottom does make a noticeable difference, and as stated, get a TEAM gear from WPS, it's way cheaper than the Polaris gear and don't forget to put the spacer that comes with it in the chaincase behind the bottom gear.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
If at all possible i want to retain the stock chain. I ain't got a lot of money to just throw out every other day...BUT, gearing IMO is the best power adder you can do. Not once in the mountains have i ever went faster than 70mph...

After i get the PC5 installed (should be hear in a few), and gear it down, i will need to re clutch it as well... This thing should be a beast.

H
Dec 7, 2008
Omaha
I was thinking the same thing about the 43 tooth gear. My concern about that is "What happens if something happens to your chain and you need to replace it"? I have to travel a long way to go ride and I probably wouldn't bring my old gears with.

I've been on a couple of trips with guys that have had chaincase problems that required new chains. Granted they were both Ski-Doos, but I don't think their chaincase is all that much different.

B

burndown

Nov 26, 2007
Missoula, MT
The sled has 2000 miles on it so i could do a 19/43?

It'll be very close, but should go. Your chain will be extremely tight, but it should go in with that many miles....I've done some with less than that but it's too tight for comfort and pulls on the bearings and stresses the chain. I'd try 19/42, I don't think you'll be dissapointed, guaranteed to go in, and no need for a new chain.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Reading back through some old gearing threads. If you have 2000 miles on your sled and you are talking about putting in different gears, why not just get a new chain. I would think 2000 miles is a good life. Sure you can go longer but why risk it, you are already in there.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I put a 19/42 on mine with a 163 camo extreme. it pulls hard but it still does 80

I think that is what I am going to put in. Kinda bummer because the Assault (09) has a 20 tooth upper. So you have to buy two gears. Although if I left the upper and bought a 45 lower the ratio would be 2.25 (19/42 is 2.21). Edit... that would require a 78 pitch chain.

Maybe a 20/44?

also...
I like this mph/gearing calculator the best:
http://www.turboaddictionparts.com/catalog/snowmobilecalculator.html

For the IQ RMK I used the following number:
Clutch gearing reduction: 1.00
clutch Ratio: 1.0
Sprockets: whatever you are looking at using
Track pitch: 2.86
# of teeth: 8

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
This is not a cheap way but you'll gear what your looking for. If you drop your drivers down 1 tooth then you'll lower your speed considerably....you may as well put a good track on while your at it.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
This is not a cheap way but you'll gear what your looking for. If you drop your drivers down 1 tooth then you'll lower your speed considerably....you may as well put a good track on while your at it.

not sure about using smaller drivers??????
If anything I would gear down to be able to use a larger(more teeth) driver.

Always carry your spare parts with you when traveling. The spare parts that you have will never be the ones that fail! Only the ones that you dont have.

Premium Features