• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

270hp 19t mcx nitro clutching ?

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007
Need help clutching 09 mtx nitro 20/40 gears with a 174 track. I have 8bu-00 full load weights and 14.5mil rollers with a blue white blue spring. Secondary clutch purple cat spring set 1-0 and shockwave helex at 2 turns. It is hitting the rev limiter and not sure if it slips the belt on the drive clutch or the driven clutch. Do i add more weight to clutch or is the shock wave making the driven clutch bind. Thanks

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
I'm pretty sure you can't load the 8bu-00 enough to solve your problem, you need heavier weights s.a. Supertips 60g or HeavyHitters HHY68

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
funny........exactly what I run @ 6,000-7,000'.....with 174.....I see 17-19 lbs of boost as well.......u?
Mine will hit the rev limiter at lower elevation but not up top. Maybe mine isn't making enough power.........but it freaks me out:face-icon-small-sho
Personally I like the profile of the 8BU......they act heavier than they are as a dalton 66 seems similar.
good luck.
RS

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
That's funny, here are 8bu-00 on the edge in the 240, if it's geared down to 20/40, we have 22/40 stock.
Makes me wonder...
Altitude wouldn't do much if altitude compensator works.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I have the same set up on a 162 with a 240 kit and only 1 turn on the shockwave and I can not get it to pull full RPM. Once I get the mcx display hooked up I will try more boost! Then maybe it will be like yours and over reving?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm pretty sure the adjustable Daltons are very similiar in profile to the 8BU and you can adjust them without taking the clutch apart.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
That's funny, here are 8bu-00 on the edge in the 240, if it's geared down to 20/40, we have 22/40 stock.
Makes me wonder...
Altitude wouldn't do much if altitude compensator works.

I know what you are saying......but it does.:face-icon-small-con
RS

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
That's weird, I have similar setup with 162 and a little lower gearing and no problems at 17-18. Even had it at a little higher boost and doesn't hit the limiter, just pulls so hard it's hard to hold on, LOL. Check your boost level and recheck your shockwave adjustment. One other thing, try another belt.

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007
Helex ok 2 turns out. Belt was new never hit the rev limiter much at the start but never had it wide open climbing. By the end of 4th day of ridding it was hitting the limiter very easy and i had alot of belt dust even on my boot. It also pulled 8" of a cord out. This is the 270hp 19t MCX. Climax did tell me to check if the rite rivits are in the weights. The guys at the dealer pressed them in for me. rivet part# 90261-06033-00.i think they are the rite rivets. Most of the belt dust was in the driven clutch down in the helex. It even seem to be stuck to shaft of the clutch and in the bushing of the helex The Gearing is stock 20/40 09mtx. Thanks guys.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Well your belt's obviously toast, so that explains why it's now hitting the limiter. After you get a new belt on, take it easy for a while then check your peak rpm and boost. You could be overboosting or even pulling too steep helix for the conditions, that will toast your belt and then you start hitting the limiter. You should see boost around 17 or 18, depending on elevation and rpm should be 87-88. Once you get everything dialed you should be getting 1200-2000k out of your belt with ease. Too much helix will soon eat up a belt....you are using a Yamaha belt ?

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007
Well your belt's obviously toast, so that explains why it's now hitting the limiter. After you get a new belt on, take it easy for a while then check your peak rpm and boost. You could be overboosting or even pulling too steep helix for the conditions, that will toast your belt and then you start hitting the limiter. You should see boost around 17 or 18, depending on elevation and rpm should be 87-88. Once you get everything dialed you should be getting 1200-2000k out of your belt with ease. Too much helix will soon eat up a belt....you are using a Yamaha belt ?

Yes Yamaha belt and thank

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007

How muck helex is to much with a shock wave

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
Hi, Laird was using up his Yammy belts with the Shockwave out at 1.75 turns, plus the belt tends to get pulled down into the secondary in certain situations, then it slips bad causing clutch wear and ruined belts.

After chatting with RS, he manufactured some heavy pins and washers on the lathe to replace the rivets. now he has the Shockwave back at one turn, he is pulling the right rpm's all the time, with no rev limiter interference. His belt life is back to normal and his clutchs are much happier running cooler.

Pulls like a freight train. He tried some Daltons previously, but they didn't pull like the Yammy weights.

I see there is another thread on here where someone built some side plates to be riveted on to the stock weights, again yeilding around 70 grams each, this should work as well, be sure to check that there is adequate side clearance within the spider and all components are balanced equally.

I assume that the purple you are using in the secondary is an EPI #ACSS-05, not a CAT spring...?? The Cat green is very similar to the EPI purple.

Good luck.

CR

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007
Hi, Laird was using up his Yammy belts with the Shockwave out at 1.75 turns, plus the belt tends to get pulled down into the secondary in certain situations, then it slips bad causing clutch wear and ruined belts.

After chatting with RS, he manufactured some heavy pins and washers on the lathe to replace the rivets. now he has the Shockwave back at one turn, he is pulling the right rpm's all the time, with no rev limiter interference. His belt life is back to normal and his clutchs are much happier running cooler.

Pulls like a freight train. He tried some Daltons previously, but they didn't pull like the Yammy weights.

I see there is another thread on here where someone built some side plates to be riveted on to the stock weights, again yeilding around 70 grams each, this should work as well, be sure to check that there is adequate side clearance within the spider and all components are balanced equally.

I assume that the purple you are using in the secondary is an EPI #ACSS-05, not a CAT spring...?? The Cat green is very similar to the EPI purple.

Good luck.

CR
Thanks Ron i was going to ask you this about Larids sled. I did talk to Laird in the parking lot 2 weeks ago about this a bit. I just cant get a hold of him. Thanks Ron One other thing my shockwave helex bushing looks real ruff.

J

jayman

Nov 26, 2007
hey rob................maybe u need sum cat parts in that moster that u got :rolleyes:

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007
I think you got it Jay. It has cat wheels, cat grips, cat coolant bottle, cat springs. ?

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007

Good luck.

CR

Ron do you know what Lairds 8bu weights weigh after he added more weight to them. I made some side plates for mine and it will add 10.4 grams to each weight. I never pressed the pins in the weight. Just asking if this will be to much weight. Thanks

Premium Features