• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

shift assist???

T
Jan 9, 2010
EC ND
is there a certain place that has this kit? and is it a kit or is it just an everyday bearing? and if so does anybody have the bearing number? Anybody running this and can you tell the difference? thanks

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
D&D shift assist was the best i found and yes they do make a difference backshift is better and seems a lot smoother, some good rollers also help out. What sled?

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
Running the AMP shift assist and Rock Rollers and there was noticable difference in backshift. Did lose about 100 to 150 r's though

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
I had the shift assist in my 07 m1000. It is only 20 bucks and easy to install. You take one plastic washer out and put the new bearing in. I also added the hitorque rollers. this helped with backshifting abit but clutches were still hot and could not hold rpms on a long climb. Then I put the rktek secondary kit in and now my clutches are cool and the backshift is perfect.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
it should help backshift but i find it also dropped my rpms some... probably due to smoother upshift i guess.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
All it is, is a thrust bearing. you can go to any transmission shop and they will prob give you one. My tranny guy had good used ones all over the place.

M
Apr 15, 2008
Brigham City
I have the shift Assist's for sale. I have had a lot of good feed back on these. they seem to work good and make make your back shift more consitant. and smoother. click on this link to go to the swapmeet thread.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171711

I can add that I have bought three of these kits from this guy and they work like a charm and are reasonably priced and very quick shipping. You will not be disappointed going with this kit.

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
I use a SKF NTA2840 bearing and two Dynaline washers. costs about $11 and can get at auto parts store. I machine a little off the end of the plastic spacer so it goes through the bearing and washers to keep them centered.

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
shift assist

I have read that the shift assist will drop your RPMs. They say that it adds about two degrees of helix angle. I have run the shock wave helix on my previous sleds and for every degree or so of helix angle you loose about 100 RPM. I have found that on my 2010 HCR after adding the shift assist I pulled less RPM. So when you are changing helixes you should keep in mind that the shift assist will add about two degrees of helix.

G

GangGreen

Jul 3, 2001
Layton utah
I believe that most people loose rpm's because it eliminates the scrub on the spring, so it does not bind, when the spring binds it causes the shift to slow and the rpm to go up. the shift assists allow it to shift out at the same rate all the way through. so the rpms go down a little.This also makes it easier to tune , it shifts the same every time. Grind a little weight off of the weight and your right on. I dont know how it would change the helix angle because it is the same thickness as the black washer that it repalces

Last edited:
R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
Because the sheave moves up the helix quicker, its like adding 2 more degrees of helix angle. Clutch will shift up and down faster with the SA.

Could probably keep the black plastic washer in the bottom instead of tossing it. This would preload the spring a little more and give back 100-200 rpm's/ Just measure for bind first.

Premium Features