• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

96 mountain max secondary clutch question

J

jer

Feb 24, 2003
everett wa.
any tricks to assembly and dissassembly i'm a polaris guy have never worked on that kind of clutch

thanks
jer

for the taking apart part, watch out for the spring tension after you remove the 3 12mm head bolts. as for assembly, there are certain holes the spring needs to go in on both the sheave and the helix. place each end of the spring in the proper hole and push down while twisting clockwise to align the studs to the holes. an extra set of hands for the nut to stud installation will be handy for someone who hasnt played with one much.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
for the taking apart part, watch out for the spring tension after you remove the 3 12mm head bolts. as for assembly, there are certain holes the spring needs to go in on both the sheave and the helix. place each end of the spring in the proper hole and push down while twisting clockwise to align the studs to the holes. an extra set of hands for the nut to stud installation will be handy for someone who hasnt played with one much.

Just to add to that. The holes are numbered, if you add the numbers up that is the degrees x 10 of tension. (1+6x10=70) The higher the number the higher the tension. To tighten the tension change the spring holes. (2+6x10+80)

J

jer

Feb 24, 2003
everett wa.
how much pre-load should there be on a p-85 its 1/4 turn counter clockwise i did that out of habit and it does'nt seem like enough

jer

J

jer

Feb 24, 2003
everett wa.
sorry about not making sense the sping is black/red it is in the 6-2 position what i'm wondering is while pushing the helix in how much do i twist while puting together on the polaris secondary its 1/4 turn

jer

on the yamaha secondaries, the amount of "twist" is proportionate to the chosen degree. in other words, and for simplicity, if you setting it at 6-2, you will end up twisting nearly 80*, or line the pointy part of the helix up ahead of the pointy part of the sheave and twist until the bolt holes line up, which should be around your desired degree angle. the more angle chosen, the harder you have to twist both the helix(clockwise) and the sheave counter clockwise. sometimes three hands help with starting the nuts, which should be torqued to 17 ft lbs.

Premium Features