• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Black/Orange spring breakage

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
If you have a 2010 M8 with the black/orange spring we have seen some of them break at around 650-800 miles. Engineering is recommending switching to the Yellow/White primary spring. We have tried the orange/white, but I think that it engages too high and does not hold the rpm as well.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
This is what Arctic Cat engineering is recommending. Myself, I like the Speedwerx red/white H5 alloy spring. Soft engagement and holds the r's.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
thanks, do you have that spring in stock, any other ideas for clutching a stock 2010 m8 162:beer;

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Where do you like to run the motor? I'm seeing 8k with 67# at 9k elev. I'd think that the yellow would require scrubbing more weight. 220 miles and it hasn't loosened much.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Black orange VS Orange white

Same spring different manufacture. If you break it cat will warranty it and they have told us that if you do not like the high engagement then to use yellow white but we have been replacing them with the orange white. We must have ordered the last of the orange white. When we ordered 20 of them last time we got 17 O/W and then we got three Orange Black and I am guessing they must have new manufacture making them. We have been using the O/W spring for many years I would guess that we sell over 50 a year and if I am going to run an normally aspirated sled its going to have that spring in it. If you do want an Y/W we have many TI one,s in stock little bit more money but last lots longer.

Q

qbeam

Nov 5, 2009
SE Idaho
I had a Cat dealer recommend the SLP blue/Purple spring. Anyone used one of these? He told me that it would engage at about 4200 and should hold the r's while climbing.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
Same spring different manufacture. If you break it cat will warranty it and they have told us that if you do not like the high engagement then to use yellow white but we have been replacing them with the orange white. We must have ordered the last of the orange white. When we ordered 20 of them last time we got 17 O/W and then we got three Orange Black and I am guessing they must have new manufacture making them. We have been using the O/W spring for many years I would guess that we sell over 50 a year and if I am going to run an normally aspirated sled its going to have that spring in it. If you do want an Y/W we have many TI one,s in stock little bit more money but last lots longer.

What is the cost for the yellow / white TI springs you have in stock?

Dave

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
. We have been using the O/W spring for many years I would guess that we sell over 50 a year and if I am going to run an normally aspirated sled its going to have that spring in it. If you do want an Y/W we have many TI one,s in stock little bit more money but last lots longer.

Kevin, why do you say the above about being so attached to the Orange/white or 143/285 spring? I have that installed on my sled right now that I got in a clutch kit, and I think it engages too high. I'm gonna put the yellow/white back in to hopefully lower it some. Please let us know why you like the 143/285 so much.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Just FYI, this spring is listed in the Speedwerx catalog as White. I have plenty in stock. I don't know why, but it has been this way for 2 years....order white and it comes red with white stripe.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
RS - the stock pr sping is a 140-185ish i think.....so it this spring you speak of a 130-310ish?......i know i need more on the top and less on the bottom

And, this is my first cat stock sled,.......so, its seems the helix kinda sticks before it returns to closed.....is this the reason for the shift assist??

and i believe the shift assist idea is just the thin bearing and plastic washer i have under my other cat sleds primary spring, right?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Stock is 143/290

Speedwerx Red/White is 125/340

Softer on bottom harder on top.

The shift assist works really good on all 2005 and newer Cats. I also like to run (3) black preload spacers under the stock spring.

Premium Features