• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What secondary spring/helix are you running in your torsion kit?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I'm curious what others are running. Especially the softer springs, as most people i know are running the sno pro green.

I am fairly happy with my current clutching setup but I'm always looking for more.

I'm currently running the D&D torsion kit with:

42/36 progressive helix
Sno Pro Green spring in 2nd lightest hole
Rock rollers

Primary:
70s with yellow/white

My backshift is lightning fast but i'm wondering if i can get away with a softer spring and maybe pick up track speed.

Anyone running the red/white cat spring?

My sled is a stock 09 M8 162 running mostly around 9k elevation.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
You'r surely looking for similar sled and elevation but I'll post my setup anyway :D We have only 2 feet of snow (ash) - waiting for more to see how sled works.

DIY torsional kit
48/40 EPI progressive
AC red/white
Rock Rollers

AC yellow/white
CPC 75-85gr set to 77gr

CF 7 with Racing Station 8 kit with pipe and stuff (see below), 0-3000ft. Sled feels absolutely awesome for trees/jumping!

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
I started out running the AC SnoPro green in my '08 M8 162 with the RKT kit; and switched to the Speedwerks blue spring this year. I felt that the SPG spring was holding the upshift back and nearly threw me over the bars when I let off the throttle. I personally like the SW blue spring alot more. :beer;

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Try a straight 36 and drop the initial tension alot. I like about 17-18 lbs on a progressive helix, but the finish as it twists is too heavy ( the D-drive has a big diameter helix so it adds a lot of twist as it shifts up), causing a slowing of the upshift which makes the heat. Especially in powder.

After you install the 36, you can bring that intial spring pressure way down to 14lbs (really helps mid and upper upshift) or less if you're geared down like the 2010,s. This really helps to free up the upshift and is really nice for slow exploring and trying-to-get-stuck stuff. SMOOTH take-off in the deep. There's plenty of backshift.

Most people seem to try and get too much backshift on these D-drive Cats (especially when they try a tortional set-up) then they need to add weight and make the clutches fight each other and make heat and blow belts and so on. Lots of threads, lots of poor advise.

GlenRMK. the progressive is best for the compression set-up, but just complicates the tortional. You should try the D&D purple rear (close to AC green in twist). The added side pressure allows you to run the least amount of twist.
Also, all the torsional kits make too big a jumps in the spring pressure (4 to 5 lbs). you will need to drill a couple of extra holes to allow as close as 1lb changes as possible, to get perfect.
Also don`t be afraid to drop weight (more weight is not more power). Cutler adjustables are the only ones that work on our M-sleds and are real handy to learn the truth about the tortional conversion and how much performance and belt life it can add.
Also the tortional set-up likes a tip weight bias (not extreme) and needs less weight, which adds to effeciency, component life, and backshift capabilities.

Hope it helps.

Geo

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Thanks for the help

I think I will give the red/white a try tomorrow and see what i think.

I have a straight 36 for the non reverse, but since the reverse doesn't work that great with cut helix, I could definitely give it a shot.

Again, I really like the improvement in backshift with the torsion kit as the stock orange spring/36 helix had a very unimpressive backshift and worse trackspeed.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Nobody else running a torsion kit?

I tried the red/white secondary spring in the 2nd lightest hole and liked it better. A little better upshift, and maybe 1 or 2 mph track speed improvement.

Still would like to see more track speed.

May try the 36 helix next time out.

S
Jan 24, 2009
What helix is most people running with the cutler orange spring? Right now I am running a 42, but am only running about 7600 rpm (I have the slp pipe kit on a 09 m1000) the sled really hauls on the hardpack, but slows right down when it hits fresh stuff, am getting about 40-45mph trackspeed.

1m62

Dec 5, 2007
British Columbia
Running the CPC torsion kit. Straight 38 helix with CPC silver white in the second
hole. 80 gram primary weights stock titanium spring. Pulls very good.
Track climbing speed is 45 mph. SLP kit. My rpm's are at 7580, I'll move the spring to the center hole, I should gain about 150 to 200 rpm.
This should put it spot on.
I would like to try the CPC orange. Curious to see what the difference is.
I'm 220 lbs, need to lose a few. My friend took it for a ride same hill, I trenched
he had to back off. He weighs 160 and couldn't look down. It works.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Is everyone one clocking their cover about 1/3 of turn (120 deg) before tightening it down?

I see geo is suggesting really low preload which I would think would be less then 1/3 of a turn??

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I'm at 60 degrees and less. You'll need to drop weight and clutch temps come way down and backshift is quicker. Secondary is loading the engine by gearing up.
That's the main difference between the tortional and compression. The compression needs the weight to push open the secondary.
Both work. I find the lighter tortional set-up noticably better in powder. Hardpack they're about the same.

Geo

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
I'm fighting a loosing battle on my torsional/SLP pipe set up, my 07M8 got taken to the cleaners on the hill and on the flats with my buddies stock 08M8 he only has a MBRP can :face-icon-small-con. I have gained nothing with both the pipe or the torsional kit except some backshift and more noise. Stock sled 36-38mph track speed, $2500+ later worth parts see sig still have 36-38mph track speed. RPM is good clutched my azz off. Should have just bought a turbo in the beginning or a M10 :face-icon-small-fro

S
Jan 24, 2009
You should post your weights, helix angle, spring and preload, someone may be able to help.

Right now on my M1000 with 54/66 gears, I am running the Cutler orange on the with maybe one hole of preload, its a pretty heavy sping, with a 38* Helix. The backshift is excellent and it doesn't feel like its being held back on the top end like when I preloaded the spring, but like Geo said, I had to drop weight. Looking forward to see how it performs in the pow.

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
I'm running a RKT 36/34 helix, with the green snow pro spring maybe I have to much back shift still like what GEO is talking about. Maybe I'm going backwards trying to gain RPM up high and taking away all the upshift, it seams to rev and not go anywhere at altitude (8500+ft) and around my house (5300ft) it seams to pull hard but not sure its much better than stock and probably just runs good due to the lower elevation.

My primary I'm running Cutler adjustables 65-75g to with no set screws at all and a gold primary spring, I think my primary spring might be worn out due to chasing the rpm around at elevation 8500+ft it will go to 7900rpm and slowly climb to about 8000-8030rpm but its never consistant plus I can barely even pull the 65g weights.

I guess my next step is try the stock yellow/white spring in the primary to see if I gain some more rpm then back the secondary way off, how do you measure secondary spring tension?

Thanks

Last edited:
R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
I am running the RKT kit with a cutler red/white spring. Works very good but i think i have fallen victim to what GEO has said. At first wasn't too happy with the back-shift. So i tightened up spring and threw more weight. Belt is hot but over 1100 miles on it and never pulled a cord on it. Spinning 85g's now with is waaay to much i believe.

so now i have a PC-V on its way with pull slp pipe kit. Eric recomended MTX 77g weights with 3 gram rivets in each hole. Im also re-shimming the primary and running the blue/yellow primary spring. Would like to back off the secondary like geo said but don't wanna lose backshift. I wonder if i spun it too much when i installed the cap because i barely got it on myself.

clutching 3-6000ft
2008 M1000
046 belt but switching to 060 after slp set-up
RKT secondary with 40/36 and cutler red/white spring

cjfarm11

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Laurel,mt
rcr1978 i would try a org./wht. primary spring before you go to far. I could never get the gold spring to work with any of my set-ups.

Premium Features