• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

changing weights

S
Mar 1, 2009
well i got a 09 arctic cat m8 and i know the little things about clutching and when i had my skidoo it was super easy to change weights,now my question is how to change the weights in my m8 and wats the approx time? can a 14 yr old do it

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Take the side panel off, you can leave the clutch on. Use a screwdriver or a smaller crowbar to compress the clutch so the weights can move freely. Be careful not to gouge anything up. Remove the nut and rubber washer from the bolt that goes through the clutch. Take a torch and heat up the little set screw that goes into the weight. This will loosen the loctite. Take the setscrew out and remove the bolt. Install the new weight, make sure the setscrew gets back in the little hole in the bolt, then install the washer and nut.
Pretty easy job once you get the hang of it.

J

jnj55024

Sep 22, 2009
Farmington, MN
I am curious about the location I should pry against. I see cast aluminum and don't want to crack any of it.

Any pictures would be great. Thanks.

B
Sep 30, 2009
Spirit Lake, IA
I changed my clutch weights without compressing the spring. I evenly loosened the bolts that hold the cast plate the spring rests in. You can either use a socket, wrench, or torx to take these bolts out. I was nervous at first thinking the spring would be under pressure, but once I got all of the bolts loosened evenly, there was no spring tension to worry about.
The previous post about using a torch is important. It can be done without a torch, but I would not recommend it. The heat from torch the makes them lossen up nicely. I used a torch that I normally sweat copper pipe fittings together with.
Another point to remeber when you install your new weights is to use green lock tight on the allen screws that hold the clutch weights to the bolts.
I have an 09 M8 that I did this on, hope the information helps.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
i find it easier to take all the bolts but two out of the primary cover then back off bolts evenly... might have to use your knee to put a little tension on cover to get the bolts out.

use a little butane torch to heat the allen screws. 20-30 seconds should do it.

take the weight pins out.

emery the pins up and pick out the old loctite from the divit in the pin.

install weights. ive never had a problem with using blue 242 loctite on the allen screws then you can remove without heat but use what you wish.

i would let setup overnight at least then ready for next day.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
i think the manual specs 40 gram weights for 14 yr olds on 09 M8's at all elevations. should sound great and keep you safe.

ok JK do your self a favor and pull the bolt out of the crank that holds the primary on and match it up to a 1ft piece of all thread at the local harware store and get a large washer and nut to go with. screw the all thread into the crank, add the washer and nut and tighten until it compresses the primary enough to free up the weights. no risk gouging anything, nothing to pop loose and take out teeth, makes it safe and easy. then do like said above ^^ to loosen set screws and change the weights out. note that when tightening the nut on the posts the weight swing on don't over crank it spec is only 10ft/lbs or just start to compress those o-rings.

S

SnowBound

Nov 26, 2007
Central California
moflowvents.com
X2 On the all thread & washer. I got a m14 1.5pitch bolt 3 1/2 in long at the hardware store. This was for the 07 m1000. Screw it all the way in. Loosen bolts on cover, remove the m14 bolt, remove cover.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
on an M8 i believe you want a 1/2in x 20 thread bolt for the crank and if you get a 1ft long piece and another nut and washer you can also use it to compress secondary sheeves if you need to change helix or spring. unless you are changing the primary spring, no reason to pull the cover plate off. just compress the primary with a few turns on the nut on the all thread and the weights will come right out. bring that all thread w/ you on your trip and you can change em again in the parking lot in less than 5min if you need to.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
st francis mn
i use a small C-clamp to compress the clutch while it is on the machine works well. but i am going to try the threaded rod trick to see how it works. it is always interesting to see other ways of doing things.
Z

K

KG

Oct 12, 2009
Tool?

Where can you get the tool to do it without removing it off the sled?

R
Feb 17, 2008
Hilliard, AB
Has anyone had an issue with the weight sticking to the pin/bolt it sits on? I'm wondering if some loctite seaped down into the little hole and "glued" the weight to the pin? Will try heat when we need to I guess.

C
Has anyone had an issue with the weight sticking to the pin/bolt it sits on? I'm wondering if some loctite seaped down into the little hole and "glued" the weight to the pin? Will try heat when we need to I guess.

If you use the "glue stick" type loctite rather than the liquid type it wont get messy around the clutch weight pins. :beer;

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Take the side panel off, you can leave the clutch on. Use a screwdriver or a smaller crowbar to compress the clutch so the weights can move freely. Be careful not to gouge anything up. Remove the nut and rubber washer from the bolt that goes through the clutch. Take a torch and heat up the little set screw that goes into the weight. This will loosen the loctite. Take the setscrew out and remove the bolt. Install the new weight, make sure the setscrew gets back in the little hole in the bolt, then install the washer and nut.
Pretty easy job once you get the hang of it.

Exactly! This is by far the quickest/easiest method on Cat and Polaris. A big screwdriver, remove the belt, pry in against the spider. I drop a small socket in to hold it open about 1/2" then change the weights and remove the socket. 5 minute job to change weights.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
if your asking for a certain tool to "do it" meaning change the weights with the clutch in the sled, several have been mentioned. cat might still make their clips you slip over the primary to keep it compressed but nothing wrong with the all thread, c -clamp, or screwdriver techniques....

Premium Features