• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 046 v.s 060

idareyou

Premium Member
Sep 9, 2001
Steamboat Springs
Yes the 060 is on the m1000.

The 060 will hook up better lowering your rpms because it is softer and the 046 will spin a little more raising your rpms.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
bringing this back to life. wife blew a 046 apart at 400 miles. catastrophic failure, just blew apart no warning. was wondering if there is a better option? kinda dissapointed in belt life on the m series. comming from yamahas with over 2000 miles per belt (or better). it kinda makes me wonder. alignment, and deflection are all set and within spec.

what are you guys running on the m8's? my specific application is on the 2009 m8's.

thanks in advance as always.
ski

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
Yes I do care to chime in. There is nothing wrong with the 046. Its your allignment plain and simple. Your Yami is not a good comparison. The M does not have a floating secondary. I am running an 046 on my modified M1k that has nearly 1500 miles on it. (I got 200 miles out of the first one)

Allignment will be out of spec. under a load unless you do something about it. It is not so much a problem on the M8 as the M1k because of the torque. Do not use the 060! It is too soft, and cannot take the repeated abuse that the 046 can.

There is no good reason to use any other belt for the 8 or the 1000 then the 046. The 060 is simply too soft, it builds heat progressivly and then goes BOOM. The problem is the sled not the belt

You need to align and keep the motor from moving under a load. You do that and your problems are over.

Last edited:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
well with us having the 2009 m8's, what should i do to properly align the clutches, and keep the motor from moving under load to avoid the boom?

as far as the yamahas i have had vipers (piped ported heads ect,) sxR's, (piped), srx's and 4 stroke nytros (with ALOT OF TORQUE) why isnt the comparison fair? ski

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
if you pin the throttle on the trail on a m8 or m1000 it will blow the belt I've blown 3 046's to pieces, all with less than 200 miles on them and I've got 3 060 with over 500 miles on them. extra motor mounts help, a dealer can align if they know what they are doing.

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
well with us having the 2009 m8's, what should i do to properly align the clutches, and keep the motor from moving under load to avoid the boom?

as far as the yamahas i have had vipers (piped ported heads ect,) sxR's, (piped), srx's and 4 stroke nytros (with ALOT OF TORQUE) why isnt the comparison fair? ski

Pto side extra mount and push arm.

It's not a fair comparison because your yamis have a floating secondary. As your motor torques out of alignment, the secondary will follow because it can move on the shaft. The dd secondary does not

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
the two stroke yamis had a belt deflection adjuster that locked them in place. so, no floating secondary. they didnt have this for the 4 stroke nytro i had.

we are talking about the m8 not the 1000 correct? i havent saw anyone saying the 800 laydown motors needed another mount and or the push arm.

do you have any part number and or alignment specs/procedures for this? trying to avoid further belt issues.

thanks for all the info, keep it comming please, learning as i go with the kitty's. ski

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
I'm at 1970miles on my '07 M1000 and on my 3rd belt. I never trashed a belt after installing side panel vents and the timbersled front belly pan clutch and rear side panel vent kit. I religiously clean and check my clutches with a scotch birte pad as well as I scuff the sides of the belts too. I don't use any chemicals on my clutches, just scuff them opposite to the belt direction (up and down on the clutch faces). I'm running the 046 cheaper belt, I agree with no need to run the 060. I also haven't touched or checked the alignment since I bought the sled but believe with improper clutching or alignment you will blow belts like crazy, especially at wide open throttle on the trail. I have GPS'd mine at 93MPH without blowing a belt either on the trail, so my clutching is good too. I run the slp recomended front spring, Cutler 64G adjustable primary weights empty with stock secondary clutching.

I had similar problems on my Polaris ProXR 800 snapping belts in half at WOT on the trail, that's your clutches binding. Go back to stock clutching, and do one change at a time to find your problem(primary spring, secondary spring, helix...). If your running stock clutching, check for smooth operation of the primary and secondary up on a stand, you may have damaged rollers, grooved primary weights or the front primary spring catching & binding on the spring cup.

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
the secondary moves in and out on my m8 at least 1/4 inch, it not sanwiched and bolted so it wont move, at first I thought it was loose but that wasnt the case, thats how it was put together at the factory, 600 miles and no belt issues.I did swap the 046 out with a high end dayco xtx5032. but the 046 is still in perfect condt and I keep it on the sled as a spare. the dayco is a extreem high performance belt it retails for $155 I got it at a discount shop at $100, and it stopped the engagment bang.

Premium Features