• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary gold spring?

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I just installed a glide washer kit on my 07 m8.right now my primary has a yellow and white striped spring with stock weights and it is engaging at 4000
If i was to go with a arctic cat gold spring how much would i lower my engagment rpm?thanks :beer;

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
I just installed a glide washer kit on my 07 m8.right now my primary has a yellow and white striped spring with stock weights and it is engaging at 4000
If i was to go with a arctic cat gold spring how much would i lower my engagment rpm?thanks :beer;

I asked the same thing a week ago and nobody seemed to know what kind of an rpm drop you could expect (i have yellow/white primary 72g weights). I just got some glide washers also but they are supposed to increase engagement 40-50rps per washer and my engagement is already at 4k. How many washers did you put in?
I think you only need them on one side, but i was thinking about trying the gold spring and adding glide washers to bring it up/fine tune it if too low (my target is 3700-3800rpms). I also ordered a slp black silver 120/300 it is rated a little different than cat springs but should lower engagement a little and has a nice finish rate so you don't loose top rpms.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
arctic gold

gold cat spring you won't loose or drop engagement as much as one would think.......about 4-500 rpm. I use the cat gold spring because it allows my m8 153 to hookup in the powder better on drive away, characteristic of a shorter stiff spring, converesly you don't drop much if any on top rpm.

I run an 07 M8 with 153 pclaw track, DD shim kit y pipe, 68 gram weights +shift assist stock secondary spring with old style helix and adj cap, 44/36 helix. the key in this setup for me is the ability to adjust secondary spring pressure for any snow condition, stock m sleds with the cast no adjust secondary spring pressure HELIX, are a handicap that require setting your sled for a alittle less hook / more rev to cover general conditons when snow gets wet or you jump to high altitude or belts gets a little diry etc etc. When cat went cheap you get........cast ?

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
So Catsledman1, are you saying that with the gold spring, it enables you to lower your engagement rpms which provides better hookup when you take off in the light powder snow you guys get in Montana, where with a spring that has a higher engagement rpm you tend to spin the track too much when you take off? The orange spring I just put in raises my engagement, which I don't like. Also, if you guys could tell us more about the older helixes that enable you to adjust secondary spring tension and possibly post a pic of it, that would be great.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
old helix

The 05-06 DD drive M sleds came with a two piece helix that allowed you to turn a large plastic nut and put more or less tension on your secondary spring.

BDXtremem is about the best place to pickup that setup. In my opinion having that adjustement is the key to successfull tuning of the stock DD secondary clutch.

When I shimmed my cylinders up with the DD kit for more hp I was concerned I might loose that good bottom end torque of the stock M8, not the case, but the stock fuel map is a little lean down there and in the heavy wet snow sunday it gave me a little flat spot just at engagement...........so usually you would be thinking........what ? a boonie box now or?

1/3 of a turn in on secondary spring pressusre, that flat spot was not an issue.So obviously I didn't change the engine, just slightly delayed the secondary clutch upshift, letting the motor to slightly have the advantage over the clutching and still working the motor hard in the bottom.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i liked the engagement of the gold spring when i ran it, the problem i found when in tight technical spots my clutches seemed to get hotter faster. any one else have this happen?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
i liked the engagement of the gold spring when i ran it, the problem i found when in tight technical spots my clutches seemed to get hotter faster. any one else have this happen?

I had the same problem when working the sled real slow around engagement, the belt would actually smoke. I didn't like having the engagement that low, couldn't get enough snap off the bottom, might be better with a 10.4 secondary though. I ran a SLP black pink (120/340) last year which I liked, engaged around 4000.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
There is too much difference between cat yellow/white and the gold. Gold will definetely cause heat at slow speed. Use the cat yellow green to lower engagement some and not cause that problem. most of the aftermarket springs are bigger in diameter, and can cause problems. Another problem is that most everybody rates their springs at different heights, so comparisons are meaningless unless you check them yourself all at the same heights.

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
So i just put in a gold primary spring(arctic cat) my engagnment before was at 41-4200 with 68 weights and two gilde washers.now with the gold spring it dropped down to 32-3300 with the same set up as before.i figured that to be to low so i put in the other three washers that came with that glide washer kit and now it is engaging at 37-3800.I am going to try it out this weekend and see how it does:)

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
I installed my gold spring today, my sled is an 09 M8 162 I ride 5-8k weight 230 fully geared, have an slp single. clutching is 70g cat primary weights secondary stock 36 orange spring with a shift assist. Today my engagement was 37 to 3800 rpm, full shiftout RPM on a climb was 8050 or so. I really like this setup. I made my own glide washer though. I had some UHMW around that was 3/16in thick so I made one. The only thing I did notice which was not there before I installed my spring is a slight lean bog about 4500 or so. It's not much but I did notice it. If I had a PC3 I could probably adjust that out of it. I'm looking forward to gettting more rides with this setup.

Premium Features