• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 M1000 Lean condition update

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Well I finally got my first ride in this season. My major concern was the tuning of the BD box and controlling the midrange EGT’s prior to the exhaust valves opening. I tried everything last season to get enough fuel prior to the EV’s opening to keep the temps under 1200. The only way I could do it was to add fuel with the BD box. This caused the mag side cylinder to flood the instant the valve opened and the ECU dumps the fuel.

So I cranked my fuel pressure up to 49psi (Was set at 42psi). Set my box to 0,0,0 until 6500rpm then started to add a bit of fuel on the top end. I then installed the boondocker TPS control wire and connected it to the servo control wire on the power valve servo. I preset the box at my house to add 7 points of fuel starting at 5200rpm, and keep adding it until the valve opened, where the TPS control shut the extra fuel off and the stock ECU program picked it up.

Left the trailer and noticed instantly that at a steady throttle setting above 5200 it would foul out the mag side. To much fuel. I stopped and dropped the added fuel to 4 points. Made another run. Again above 5200 it would start to load up and foul the mag side. So I then raised the rpm that the fuel is added to 6000rpm. This was the ticket!

Now the sled will run at any throttle position cleanly. As the EGT’s climb towards 1150 in the mid range as the rpm’s hit 6000 and the 4 points of fuel is added the EGT’s drop 50f and all is good. At 6000 the stock ECU program is lean enough that the 4 points of fuel won’t foul the mag side.

I could easily adjust the BD numbers to get it closer to 1200f if I wanted. But you never know about the conditions so above 1100 is ok and leaves me some room for error.

Overall this is the best this sled has ran since I got it. Finally enjoyed a trip and didn’t worry about burning it down in the mid range. As a note I did have the 09 reflash done over the summer also.

Just thought I would pass along some details.

I need to get it out on a deep powder day and really test it out. But again so far so good.

Thunder

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
ttt

when we talked earlier this year i had'nt rode my new to me 07 m1000 now i have 210 miles on her . runs flawless except for idle fluctuation 1500 to 2050 and i can watch my 02 going from 14.5 to 13.5 so the ecu is doing so still has 08 update but runs fine besides that fuel at 48. still don't know what to do soon as i give it a little throttle it will go to 14.5 then steps up normally. certainly don't want to chance 09 update to clear that up with people having problems with that update. seems like more people than not have problems. don't know what to do

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Great info?

Nice to see the higher F/P, at least I'm not the only one.:D

Yea, I don't like tuning the darn box a lot. So I ran this sled for 1200 miles without a box at 49psi. No gages so I had know idea what the heck I had for temps. Well... after a burn down I found out. I was hot in two spots. Right before the PV's opened and on the top end.

So with higher FP's I can skip the box and just put a bit of fuel on top and a bit prior to the valves opening.

Man it is running really good right now. I hope it stays that way. And boy does the old power claw make an arm puller out of it.

Mac, remember all the clutching changes and motor mounts. Wow. That new progressive helix and shift assist is awesome!!! Back shift is really quick and it flat rips out of the hole now. Thanks to Stranger for the clutching help! :)

Thunder

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Another 150 miles this weekend

Well put on another 150 miles this past weekend. It was DEEP. Never touched the box all weekend. Never got over 1212f temps. Only had two bogs all weekend. Both of them were from submarining under 3' of fresh. Otherwise never missed a beat.

This sled flat rips now. Considering it is darn neared stock. :)

Thunder

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Another great weekend.

But did run into a bit of a problem. In thick fog, the mag side wanted to foul. I believe this was due to the ice building up on the temp sensor in the air box. I know I had a thick coat on my goggles and everything else. The second I cleared the fog it picked right up and again never missed a beat.

So the thought is the ice on the sensor was telling the ECU that the air temperature was colder than it was. So it added fuel.

In the future I may need to create a leaner program for this and switch it over if it gets to bad.

But overall, running GREAT!!!

Thunder

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Would you say the 09 flash is richer or leaner from 6000 to WOT when compared to the 07?

Tough question.

It didn't really burn down until I got the 08 map. Then over the summer I had the 09 mapping done and tweeked the BD box so much. So hard to say.

I can say I was running numbers around 15-20 on the top end with the 08 map. I am now around 10-12.

Again this is with the fuel pressure around 49psi at 1200ft.

Thunder

P
Nov 22, 2008
BC
on a side note....i am running stock 07 ecu programming with no fuel box....should i be concerned? Are there some rpms that i should stay away from?

P.S. Arctic Thunder....could u pls pm me regarding what all you did with clutching? i need to do mine but have no idea where to start thanx

C
Nov 8, 2009
If you have not changed your exhaust or intake, I wouldnt worry. I asked about mine because I have a new to me M1000 with a D&D can, Y-pipe and shaved head (premium gas) with 07 map. At 50 psi my plugs were a bit white, barely tan, 53 psi plugs seem ok, but a bit sputtery down low (these pressure readings were at 1000', riding 1000-7000'). I should probably get EGts and a box, but I am too busy spending all my $$ on gas. The sputter down low isnt enough to bother me as long as I am not burning down.

Anyone else run this setup without a box?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
If you have not changed your exhaust or intake, I wouldnt worry. I asked about mine because I have a new to me M1000 with a D&D can, Y-pipe and shaved head (premium gas) with 07 map. At 50 psi my plugs were a bit white, barely tan, 53 psi plugs seem ok, but a bit sputtery down low (these pressure readings were at 1000', riding 1000-7000'). I should probably get EGts and a box, but I am too busy spending all my $$ on gas. The sputter down low isnt enough to bother me as long as I am not burning down.

Anyone else run this setup without a box?

One thing you can try is a 2 degree advance timing key. This will clean up the bottom end without a box. Could be a bit much with your head. But run good fuel shouldn't be a problem.

If you don't have EGT's you should get some. IMO But once you do you will probably scare yourself at the numbers then you would ride it as hard. :)

Thunder

J
Dec 15, 2009
I have a 2008 M1000 slp y pipe and single pipe with can black diamond intake, had problems with boondogger control. Ordered a new power commander 5 from Dyno tech research with his map supposed to be 200hp and he said his test sleds run awsome, will have it for this weekend.
Also he has told me that 2 degree advance key helps also.

Premium Features