• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP (BDX) helix for mountains 44/36 (Radiused) or 44/36 (Progressive)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Guys, I have question for you.

Last Spring when I bought my 09 M8, I asked the dealer to install a SLP pipe kit and the recommended 42/36 helix. The setup worked very well.

Fast forward to now. Thursday I ordered a 44/36 helix from Free Agent to go with the SLP Performance Edition kit. Shortly thereafter Jeff from BDX called me and asked if I would like 44/36 P (Progressive) or a 44/36 R (Radiused) helix?

Well, I wasn't 100% sure so called SLP and spoke to Jim at SLP. He said I want the 44/36 R (radiused) helix. So, I asked Free Agent to call BDX and let them know.

Today I went out to my shop and noticed the helix that is on my sled currently (that worked so well) is a 42/36 P (Progressive).

I did some developmental field clutching work for Dalton Industries a few years ago when the RX-1M came out (Tom Hartman made a lot of money off my research). I had many boxes of spring, weights and helixes in many angles, both progressive and radiused. I found I much prefered the progressive helixes to the "stepped" radiused helixes.

However, I can certainly understand that while climbing mountains it is probably adventageous to have one (36 degree) angle that runs the vast majority of the duration of the helix. That way, you are always on the same angle of the helix when the sled is trying to backshift and that would help maintain consistency.

Does anyone know the specific details of which type of helix is prefered for a mountain application and why?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i am curious to know as well. i also just ordered and recieved a 42-38 bdx diamond drive helix from slp. how do you tell if it is a radius or progressive cut by their part numbers? the box just says 52-42/38 helix 07-09 cat diamond drive.

i am testing the theory, you can use the small spread 42-38 and give up a little, super high, and super low, and have a great mid elevation set up. and not have to switch the secondary when switching elevations.

ski

S
Dec 6, 2007
the progressive is a very smooth transition and the other has a very shory first angle and then changes to the next and you can see where the angles change,

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
On the side of the helix there is a part number stamped.

Mine says 42/36 P

I love the feel of the way a progressive loads an engine. It's a gradual linear feel. The stepped or radiused is not as smooth since there's basically a step between the start and finish angle.

I'm hoping someone REALLY smart (not that you guys aren't) can shed some much needed light on this subject.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
All I can tell you is the slp 44/36 helix on my ported 09 M8 works awesome.

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
I've posted this before, but here it is briefly. I tried the 46-36P on my M7 coupla years ago and didn't like it. It was just too much helix for climbing...wouldn't hold rev's with my spring (Goodwin blue/white, almost identical to AC orange, and gold up front with 75g.). To see what was going on, I traced helixes on paper. At hillclimbing speeds, the 46-36 was still in a steep angle. Helixes I liked had already shifted out to shallower angles. It will depend on your gearing, but you need some torque, or more secondary spring to pull that much helix angle while climbing. I would like to try the radiused...how long does it take to transition to the shallower angle, and where does that happen?

John

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
John, if I'm not mistaken, the duration of the initial 44 degree angle on the helix is very short lived. It's just to initally load the motor and then almost abruptly drops off to the 36 degree finish angle. The "abruptly" part is what I have found I don't like on a trails but, in when climbing mountains, it's probably a better option?

Where the progressive helixes have a nice transition from inital to finish angle the radiused or stepped happen much more quickly. Basically if your sled is moving around in the mountains, you are pretty much running on a straight 36degree angle helix.

I have to wonder if that is optimum? Easier to clutch yes, but optimum?

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
John, if I'm not mistaken, the duration of the initial 44 degree angle on the helix is very short lived. It's just to initally load the motor and then almost abruptly drops off to the 36 degree finish angle. The "abruptly" part is what I have found I don't like on a trails but, in when climbing mountains, it's probably a better option?

Where the progressive helixes have a nice transition from inital to finish angle the radiused or stepped happen much more quickly. Basically if your sled is moving around in the mountains, you are pretty much running on a straight 36degree angle helix.

I have to wonder if that is optimum? Easier to clutch yes, but optimum?

That is correct the 44 is a very short duration but it is enought to give you one heck of a launch to get track speed up very quick. For the mountains I love my 44/36 radius cut. Also I have not noticed the switch from the 44 to 36 as being harsh on mine.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for responding ILUVTOFLY.

I was hoping you would. So, to be clear your helix says 44/36 R on it?

And it works great?

If so, that's the answer I have been looking for.

Thanks again

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
in mountain riding, there is almost always a "best" angle for a particular engine/gearing/snowcondition problem...the problem is that no one wants to change for every situation....i like to get my clutching set, and mostly forget about it....those who ride in both the plains and mountain on the same sled will have to have two set-ups....sooo, what i do is (mostly thru experience), come up with a helix that my sled climbs with the best for most of the winter, and accept the fact that during spring conditions, it will work, but may not be optimal....on my 09 1000 that is a 40 degree helix, on my 2010 m-8, find the 38 works well (although it's early yet, and i may switch to a 40)...as to dual cut or progressive helixs, i far prefer the dual cut, because i can control where on the helix i do my climbing....with a progressive, it is constantly moving across different loading, i.e. from 39 to 38 to 37 and back again, which causes the rest of the clutching and engine to have to compensate....so in a rapidly changing load situation, you have too many variables occuring, not to mention the throttle being a big variable also...i like dual helixs, with anywhere from 4-8 degrees more than the finish angle, i.e. a 44-40, or a 46-38, but an absolute key, is that the steep angle must be short, if you were to measure it, it would be about .350", or about 1/3 of an inch....to show how critical this is, if the initial cut has a .450" duration, it will make a significant detrimental change for mountain riding....so when i order my helixs from bd, i specify what i want....now what frostbite has deduced is correct....a dual helix, with the first angle being steep and short, to launch the sled hard, and a more shallow, long finish angle to climb with...the finish angle is most important because that is what loads the engine and makes it pull...in conjunction with the helix, you need enough back shift to let it run up the hill at a constant rpm, the stock orange spring is good for this.....the rpm to be set by the front spring/weight combination....i find that the stock orange driven spring in the cats, is a good backshift spring, and that by adding a shift assist, makes for a good driven set-up with the proper helix (steeper than the stock 36)....i do not recommend a gearing change for either the m-8 or the 1000...while m-8 gears on a 1000 will give a decent hole shot even with poor clutching, it is an inferior hill climbing solution, as compared to stock gearing with good clutching, as i have demonstrated to a couple of riding buddies many times....i then select a drive spring that engages at the rpm i want and has a shift out rate that is close to the stock....for my 1000, i use an engagement of 120 lbs, for a 3600 rpm engagement and a shift out of 310 lbs....then i adjust the rpm with weights, adjustables work ok, although i use stock weights which i then notch and finish to the final weight by testing and grinding, (i start with stock weights, and then usually use the next heavier ones so that i can modify them to my preference....i ride mostly7-11k.....finding the best clutching solution isn't easy, but if you work at it methodically, one step at at time, it's worth more than $2-3000 in engine/exhaust mods....but of course, you can do that also..:D

Last edited:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
my helix from bdx (ordered from slp) just has the stamp on the side 42-38.

it doesnt have an R or P with the numbers at all. i am assuming a progressive cut would have the P, and the stepped cut would just be the numbers. but, that is just me thinking. can anyone elaborate? heading to togwotee thursday, going to take the straight 36 with me but i am hoping the 42-38 does a good job up there. ski

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Slyrydr, good post!

Being new to Cats, I asked both SLP and BDX if a slightly higher finish angle can be pulled with the Cats. I was thinking of a 46/38, 45/38 or a 46/37 or 45/37 might be worth trying. SLP said yes if you are under X altitude and X rider weight you should be able to pull a bit more helix angle but, as the finish angle increases the backshift quality decreases. BDX didn't think it was a good idea.

I'll be trying one sometime this winter.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
the 44/36 R I have made a huge difference in my clutch. I have managed to get amazing launches and apply a lot of force to the ground and with the stock 36 the extra grip would hold keep the drive bound until the drive clutch forced it open and it would then sling shot it to far and then backshift to quick and cause a bind and drop my rpms so far the drive clutch would over come it. the 44 lets it get moving and then vary with better optimal rpm. But I have done a lot changes this year. If you could find a straight angle that worked the best for climbing and then add the pre angle to the radius it should put it on the money. Would also like to try a triple cut, but start out with a 44 break it into a 40 with a radius cut and then go from 40/36 progressive.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks WyoBoy1000, it looks like I will be riding with my progressive heilx on Wednesday. That should give me a good comparison to the new radiused helix coming later in the week or next week.

Then sometime a little later in the season I'll try a 46/38 to see how that works.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I bet it will.

Especially if it's a Radiused 44/36.

The M1000 should certainly to be able to pull 3/8" of 44 degree angle before going to the kiddie pool 36 degree angle. :beer;

I hope mine shows up this week.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
ran the 42-38 at 8500-9500 feet yesterday, found it held back rpms too much on up shift. it backshifted slower and funny. it made the belt and sheeves hot, and seemed to have goofed up the belt deflection (be;t squeeling after pulls in the deep), even though i had already removed an adjuster shim to properly set the deflection on the bdx helix. the stock helix did need a deflector shim, the bdx did not but with it removed, it still seemed the bdx was too tight for deflection.

swaped the straight 36 from cat back in her, we'll see where she lands. running 68 gram cat arms, stock springs. i am low on rpms 76-7750 on trail, in the deep and pulls, 73-7400 max and it struggles to get there. need more primary spring total force.

does anyone know the colors and part numbers of the next stiffer total force spring from either cat or a/m supplier? hopefully i could order something or pick it up near jackson hole to fix the rpms while we are here. would rather running heavier weight and more spring, than drop weight from the arms.

any help appreciated, ski

Premium Features