• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

More or Less Primary Weight for 53/67 Gears on M8

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
In theory you will need to pull some weight out. Not first hand info, im just waiting for my 54/66's to come, but thats what i've been reading. That thing should have some low end grunt!

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Oh boy,
I just installed the 55/65 in mine and am a little confused now.
BDX said I wouldn't need to re-clutch, however, I'm down on my trackspeed in a deep hillclimb.
I'm taching over 100 rpm higher than I was, so losing weight would be a no no.
My throttle response is still snappy, but the track isn't hooking up and pulling like it used to.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

S
Jan 24, 2009
I'm going through the same thing, with gearing down the secondary has to shift out further, but with the combination of stiff springs and shallow helixes it just gets to hard to overcome.

I even have a cpc torsional kit but with the stiff orange spring it seems to be the same story, gonna try it with next to no tension to start and see how that goes, but I will bring the trusty red and white just incase.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I'm using rkt torsion with green spring in the second hole. It's holding r's.

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
When I gear down I add weight to the primary clutch . You just made it so the engine dose not have to work as hard . So you want to load the clutch . Then fine tune with a primary spring .

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I have to take what kelsey says with a grain of salt as I feel that he's only half right more times than not.

Anyway, yes my track speed is lower now on a deep powder climb. My R's are up, and I will load the adjustables with more weight.

We got 7' of fresh this last week, and had this not been the first day of a full blown season, I'd have the stock gears back in tonight. Snow again tues, so I'm riding till then.

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
I have to take what kelsey says with a grain of salt as I feel that he's only half right more times than not.

Anyway, yes my track speed is lower now on a deep powder climb. My R's are up, and I will load the adjustables with more weight.

We got 7' of fresh this last week, and had this not been the first day of a full blown season, I'd have the stock gears back in tonight. Snow again tues, so I'm riding till then.

If your track speed is down I'd say put the stock gears back in. You had the power to pull them.
I'm going to try the same thing too.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
what rpm are you hitting, I would say throw in a 2* steeper helix, before the gears and track where loading the motor now its turning easier and a steeper helix should give the primary and motor more feedback. These AC motors seem to like being loaded.
Honestly 53/67 is way to low i think, it will put your clutches into over drive and reduce belt sheeve contact in the secondary and start slipping. has anyone checked how hot the clutches are, are they hotter than before.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Stockers are going back in.
I think I might try a lighter finish spring in the primary today, and keep the weights the same.
Sunday I'll swap gears.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
...Honestly 53/67 is way to low i think, it will put your clutches into over drive and reduce belt sheeve contact in the secondary and start slipping. has anyone checked how hot the clutches are, are they hotter than before.

This season I've really enjoyed the 53/67 gears for boondocking through the trees with less belt slip, more torque/power and throttle response.

The right gears all depend on how/where you ride - Everything is a comprise; you can't have it all. Track speed on a hillclimb is not something I'm concerned with as I don't do it anymore after a friend was in an avalanche.

With the 53/67s, I'm running 78.3g of weight @ 76-7700 rpm. It's a torque monster tractor.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I changed from stock (2007) 57/63 to 55/65 (2010 stock) I lost track speed on the long climbs, however the sled is way more fun to ride 80% of the time. I think with some clutching I could get some back. I did drop 2 grams off the primary and unload the secondary spring to softest position. My clutches are not near as hot as they were with the stock gears.

Premium Features