• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the best helmet??

C
Oct 7, 2009
Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best helmet that gets you the most bang for your buck. I've been looking at the Troy Lee Design SE2 but they seem a bit pricey. Are they worth the money or is there another helmet that I should be looking at. Thanks for any insight!!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
HJC Carbon ACX-3

I just picked up the above mentioned HJC Carbon Fiber from Motorcycle Superstore.com. It was a closeout deal for $250 with free shipping. I have worn it twice and love it. It feels quite a bit lighter on your head and has a good field of vision. If you're head get's hot it has lots of ventilation too. I will post a link if they have any left. Here ya go:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-Bike-Motocross-Helmets-Mens-Riding-Gear.aspx

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
The TLD SE2 is my favorite helmet. I've got an Arai, Klim, HJC, and the Troylee. It's a little spendy, but after you put it on, you won't want any other helmet.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
I too have a HJC Titan Carbon for this season. They are great helmets and you can usually find them for a pretty good price. I got mine for 189 shipped earlier in the year. I also have a Fox V3 and that also is a great light weight helmet. They are both carbon fiber. Once you get a light weight helmet you will never wear anything else.

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
ski doo bv2s. light, will never fog, best visibility, quiet, convertible, warm, shade change with finger while riding, expensive but you get what you pay for

S

SNOWBOUNDRMK

Nov 27, 2007
Sartell, MN
I recently got my 509 helmet and it is the one to have. Top quality and fit. Great company to deal with (Tom). Works well with their goggles also.

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
the best helmet is one that fits your head properly, and is snell and or dot approved, regardless of brand, or price.....

X2, except for maybe the SNELL part IMO. I feel SNELL has to strict of a rating and after reading the requirements stats, tests and studies on SNELL approved helmets I feel they do not provide the proper protection for the less violent non life threatening, more common crashes. A helmet is designed to break down and absorb the energy of the crash before it reaches our oh so important gray matter. SNELL has such strict testing that helmets that have paid to have this rating (another issue I will explain in a minute) do not break down as easily on the more common crashes. ECE and DOT have different requirements. After reading the stats, I feel that they protect better against smaller crashes better. They are also safe in big crashes. SNELL is superior in crashes where your helmet bounces of the hard object which you have chosen to drive your brain into then repeat this action. SNELL has requirements to protect from multiple bang ups in one accident ie:crotch rocket crashes and your head bounces on the pavement more than once really hard. To reach this high of a standard the material that breaks down has to be so hard that it does not easily break down on smaller crashes. Also, because of this ECE and DOT tend to have lighter helmets without having to use carbon fiber. With all that said a helmet that is on DOT approved may also meet SNELL requirements, the company just did not want to pay to put on their sticker. Yup even if a helmet meets the requirements that alone does not mean they will be SNELL certified. They have to pay a lot of money for that little sticker.

This is the way I understand it. I did quite a bit of research because my brain has been bounced waaaay to many times and I have had several concussions. To the point where the doc told me I should quit powersports and I shouldn't even ski (majority of my concussions are from skiing). This is all what I put together. So IMO if you want protection against multiple shots in one accident find a SNELL, if you want protection from normal head shots go ECE or DOT. Multiple shots does not mean you can have a good crash where you bang the helmet and it does its job and still use that helmet in the future. ANY helmet is designed to break down upon impact. If you have a good impact the helmet broke down and it is time to replace it. Also the material breaks down over time. I see people wearing old helmets all the time. They are only going to work against blunt trauma, not brain banging (concussion) as the material can no longer break down to protect as it already has over time. the material breaks down so the energy does not reach your brain, or least less of it in hopes that your brain does not smash against your cranium. I wore a SNELL helmet in a small accident (this is before I had done research) and got a concussion. I now wear DOT and ECE helmets and haven't had a concussion in 2 years. Once you have a concussion it becomes easier to get another one. If you get a second even easier for a third and so on.

Just my .02. Of course I have had many concussions so I never really know what I am talking about from minute to minute.

Check out RockGardn's Blacklite helmet 3 pounds and DOT.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
X2, except for maybe the SNELL part IMO. I feel SNELL has to strict of a rating and after reading the requirements stats, tests and studies on SNELL approved helmets I feel they do not provide the proper protection for the less violent non life threatening, more common crashes. A helmet is designed to break down and absorb the energy of the crash before it reaches our oh so important gray matter. SNELL has such strict testing that helmets that have paid to have this rating (another issue I will explain in a minute) do not break down as easily on the more common crashes. ECE and DOT have different requirements. After reading the stats, I feel that they protect better against smaller crashes better. They are also safe in big crashes. SNELL is superior in crashes where your helmet bounces of the hard object which you have chosen to drive your brain into then repeat this action. SNELL has requirements to protect from multiple bang ups in one accident ie:crotch rocket crashes and your head bounces on the pavement more than once really hard. To reach this high of a standard the material that breaks down has to be so hard that it does not easily break down on smaller crashes. Also, because of this ECE and DOT tend to have lighter helmets without having to use carbon fiber. With all that said a helmet that is on DOT approved may also meet SNELL requirements, the company just did not want to pay to put on their sticker. Yup even if a helmet meets the requirements that alone does not mean they will be SNELL certified. They have to pay a lot of money for that little sticker.

This is the way I understand it. I did quite a bit of research because my brain has been bounced waaaay to many times and I have had several concussions. To the point where the doc told me I should quit powersports and I shouldn't even ski (majority of my concussions are from skiing). This is all what I put together. So IMO if you want protection against multiple shots in one accident find a SNELL, if you want protection from normal head shots go ECE or DOT. Multiple shots does not mean you can have a good crash where you bang the helmet and it does its job and still use that helmet in the future. ANY helmet is designed to break down upon impact. If you have a good impact the helmet broke down and it is time to replace it. Also the material breaks down over time. I see people wearing old helmets all the time. They are only going to work against blunt trauma, not brain banging (concussion) as the material can no longer break down to protect as it already has over time. the material breaks down so the energy does not reach your brain, or least less of it in hopes that your brain does not smash against your cranium. I wore a SNELL helmet in a small accident (this is before I had done research) and got a concussion. I now wear DOT and ECE helmets and haven't had a concussion in 2 years. Once you have a concussion it becomes easier to get another one. If you get a second even easier for a third and so on.

Just my .02. Of course I have had many concussions so I never really know what I am talking about from minute to minute.

Check out RockGardn's Blacklite helmet 3 pounds and DOT.

Some good info here, there was an article in motorcyclist magazine a couple of years ago that came to the same conclusion. The Snell rated helmets were to hard and did not break down easily enough to prevent head trauma with lower velocity impacts.

S
I've been happy with my Zox helmet.

$160ish canadian, I thought it was good bang for the buck (compared to the other helmets that were sitting on the shelf next to it at the time...) My Scott goggles with the nose guard thingee fit pretty decent. Only problem is the goggle quick connect thingers didn't stick to the side so I had to stick with normal goggle strap.

Last edited:

Fast_XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Fly Formula MX. Carbon/Kevlar/Titanium....lightweight, strong, and great looking. Interior materials are second to none, with micro suede cheek pads etc. Once you put one on, you will not go back to a regular helmet. They are pricey though.
Neil

S
Nov 14, 2008
calgary
I have a Troy Lee SE2 Ricky Johnson limited edition. it fits good and you can pick up older Troy Lee/Shoie/Fox/ helmets all over the place on blowout, check out online retailers(motocross shops), u can usually find a steal of an deal if you look around. Also never buy a helmet before trying it (or one exactly at it at a shop:cool::eek::cool::D)
Check out these guys, they have smoking deals on lids
They have some 08 SE 2 for good deals if you look through their site..

http://www.btosports.com/c/Helmets

If one of these is in your size get one, this is a killer lid.. I have one of these too, but I only use it for motocross. It is like a Rolls Royce inside and out.

http://www.btosports.com/p/SHOEI09FCR3

and if I was rich I would buy one of these. The blue one is stunning.
http://www.btosports.com/p/ARAIVX3PROAKIRA

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Some good info here, there was an article in motorcyclist magazine a couple of years ago that came to the same conclusion. The Snell rated helmets were to hard and did not break down easily enough to prevent head trauma with lower velocity impacts.

The article is here. A VERY good read, albeit lengthy. These folks put helmets through a battery of tests. Doesn't had to be a real expensive helmet to protect your melon. :)

Premium Features